Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone tried foiling with a wing?

Forum for wing surfers
omg
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Anyone tried foiling with a wing?

Postby omg » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:44 am

I'm sure he's very skilled, but this looks plain ugly :o May be I'm the only one, but to my eye all foiling jumps looks ugly, way too much momentum below the board creating ugly pendulum effect. Freestyle windsurfing looks much better if you want to hang on a sail like that, and more so in those conditions.

What Gunnar does in those conditions, looks way cooler and sane, and to my eye that's the wing's potential and working area ie. in waves like these. Unfortunately not too many places have these kind of conditions :( In nice conditions, this will be fun, I'm now convinced. The biggish downside of foils, however, are the aggressive cutbacks etc. which the foil cannot do. Nevertheless, as I said, looks nice and nice potential in certain waves, but for flat water, it's mostly back and forth, which gets boring quickly.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:08 am

Agree fully, there is something wrong with the way it looks - ugly is a good word :roll:

But he is REALLY good, I am really impressed seing this, amazing, and I dont think it is boring on flat water, seing that you can do 360's wind from the topside and loads of tricks - just like we do on windsurfers on flat water.

Every watersport has its own way of progressing and making it exiting and more difficult, great :thumb:

Looks very odd though, the way a wing flaps around on a big board not connected.
Maybe it starts looking good if it gets more mainstream and most of us do it, human nature to adapt, but at current state it looks odd for some reason :wink:

Something aestitichally wrong as it is now...

8) Peter

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:53 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:08 am
Agree fully, there is something wrong with the way it looks - ugly is a good word :roll:

But he is REALLY good, I am really impressed seing this, amazing, and I dont think it is boring on flat water, seing that you can do 360's wind from the topside and loads of tricks - just like we do on windsurfers on flat water.

Every watersport has its own way of progressing and making it exiting and more difficult, great :thumb:

Looks very odd though, the way a wing flaps around on a big board not connected.
Maybe it starts looking good if it gets more mainstream and most of us do it, human nature to adapt, but at current state it looks odd for some reason :wink:

Something aestitichally wrong as it is now...

8) Peter
Kai Lenny using a Kitewing - which doesn't flap around.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:32 am

tomtom wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:12 pm
As impressive at it is as i dont get it. You can do 100x more in those condition with just ordinary kite and twintip... There are conditions where wingwing work 100x better than any kite just not this one :)
It seems to me that the only thing you can "get" from Balz video is that you can try anything you want. Sometimes you're going to make it. Sometimes not.

That sounds pretty good to me. Most of those moves look like ungainly crap. A couple of them look beautifully flowing and gorgeous. Of course, that will be me. :wink:

The comparison with existing wind and kitesurfing is irrelevant. It is none of those sports. The only thing you can take from other sports is, most windsurfers can't gybe or jump. Most kitesurfers can't jump and can barely go upwind.

Most people never venture away from their start point. Most people just ride back and forth in a single groove. If you can do that with a wind wing and think you're having fun then that's great.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:05 am

Agree. I almost deleted my post because it seems like very "unappreciative". I admire his skills.
My post want to be more about "right tool for the job"
Wingwing seems like very right tool for some jobs - just not this one :) so in my POV its like waste of his skills.

Anyway his stoke is ultimate measure and who am I... :))

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:26 pm

I thought it worthwhile revisiting the original post now that I have a little bit of experience.

Anyone tried wing foiling? Now all the major kite brands are coming up with their offerings. Duotone, slingshot, cabrinha are just some examples.
Yes, I have. I have used the Naish, Duotone and Gong products. 3,4,5,7m wings. They are all good.

Anyones tried it yet? Whats the minimum water that you need to start playing with this? Duotone offers several sizes and the biggest, 6m they say is from 10knots.
If you are a water god, excessively fit etc etc 10 knots is possible, but not for me. I think 12/13 knots is my minimum on a 7m wing. I kite foil below that. But my bottom end has improved with both my board and wing pumping abilities.

How difficult is it to learn? I have some experience foiling, but really just learning. I thought this could be fun in places where kiting is not allowed or bad access..?
If you are using the Naish/Gong products, handing is really easy and it is easy to get started on a SUP (especially if you have never foiled before). The duotone wing is bit more frisky when you are not moving, but a little practice gives you the necessary skill to manage it. Gunnar has some great video's using the Ozone Wasp providing the clues.

I could already foil, so I had no challenges at all on a SUP board. I have now shrunk from an 8 foot 150L SUP down to a 6.5 125L SUP (this improved the winging experience enormously).

And I now wing in heaps of places I would/could never launch a kite at, so there are a heap of new locations. And it appears at the moment that the wing offends neither windsurfers or kiters :D .

Is it suitable to give to someone whos never tried a kite? Can u ride a regular SUP with this and have some fun?
I am currently teaching my wife to wing (previously taught her to do basic kiting) and she likes the fact that she can do it without any assistance. Teaching her on a SUP...... it's not exciting like a SUP foil, but it is getting her going. Once her basic wing skills are down, I will introduce a foil on a short mast.
These users thanked the author bigtone667 for the post:
tomtom (Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:20 pm

Two boards that are both only 127cm long.

This one is 29 litres.

This one is 45 litres - the video is on the second page.

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:05 pm

bigtone667 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:26 pm
I thought it worthwhile revisiting the original post now that I have a little bit of experience.

Anyone tried wing foiling? Now all the major kite brands are coming up with their offerings. Duotone, slingshot, cabrinha are just some examples.
Yes, I have. I have used the Naish, Duotone and Gong products. 3,4,5,7m wings. They are all good.

Anyones tried it yet? Whats the minimum water that you need to start playing with this? Duotone offers several sizes and the biggest, 6m they say is from 10knots.
If you are a water god, excessively fit etc etc 10 knots is possible, but not for me. I think 12/13 knots is my minimum on a 7m wing. I kite foil below that. But my bottom end has improved with both my board and wing pumping abilities.

How difficult is it to learn? I have some experience foiling, but really just learning. I thought this could be fun in places where kiting is not allowed or bad access..?
If you are using the Naish/Gong products, handing is really easy and it is easy to get started on a SUP (especially if you have never foiled before). The duotone wing is bit more frisky when you are not moving, but a little practice gives you the necessary skill to manage it. Gunnar has some great video's using the Ozone Wasp providing the clues.

I could already foil, so I had no challenges at all on a SUP board. I have now shrunk from an 8 foot 150L SUP down to a 6.5 125L SUP (this improved the winging experience enormously).

And I now wing in heaps of places I would/could never launch a kite at, so there are a heap of new locations. And it appears at the moment that the wing offends neither windsurfers or kiters :D .

Is it suitable to give to someone whos never tried a kite? Can u ride a regular SUP with this and have some fun?
I am currently teaching my wife to wing (previously taught her to do basic kiting) and she likes the fact that she can do it without any assistance. Teaching her on a SUP...... it's not exciting like a SUP foil, but it is getting her going. Once her basic wing skills are down, I will introduce a foil on a short mast.
Big tone (or any other non pro’s), any videos to share?

It’s great seeing videos from pro’s like Gunner and Horst, and even from the super humans like Balz and Kia, or some youngster pro showing us how water start a 29 liter board. Then again it’s nice to see some clips of average blokes progressing through the basics😀

Alvaro
Medium Poster

Postby Alvaro » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:42 pm

This has probably been answered before.
Would it be realistic to try to wing foil with a Moses W633 wing? Would I need something bigger?

Thank you

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:12 pm

Alvaro wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:42 pm
This has probably been answered before.
Would it be realistic to try to wing foil with a Moses W633 wing? Would I need something bigger?

Thank you
One of Naish guys is now winging on a 1200cm2 wing, and I am now running the AXIS 101 (1430cm2). So no reason why is will not work. You need to get enough speed/pumping to get up, once you are up you will take off.

Return to “Wingsurfing”