Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone tried foiling with a wing?

Forum for wing surfers
bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels
Wings: Cloud W1 3,4,5,6m, Duotone 7m
Boards: Naish Monarch, Naish Hover 155/110/130 Fanatic Sky Wing 5'8"
Foils: AXIS 1150/1020/1010/820 Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Anyone tried foiling with a wing?

Postby bigtone667 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:17 pm

Dave K wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:05 pm
bigtone667 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:26 pm
I thought it worthwhile revisiting the original post now that I have a little bit of experience.

Anyone tried wing foiling? Now all the major kite brands are coming up with their offerings. Duotone, slingshot, cabrinha are just some examples.
Yes, I have. I have used the Naish, Duotone and Gong products. 3,4,5,7m wings. They are all good.

Anyones tried it yet? Whats the minimum water that you need to start playing with this? Duotone offers several sizes and the biggest, 6m they say is from 10knots.
If you are a water god, excessively fit etc etc 10 knots is possible, but not for me. I think 12/13 knots is my minimum on a 7m wing. I kite foil below that. But my bottom end has improved with both my board and wing pumping abilities.

How difficult is it to learn? I have some experience foiling, but really just learning. I thought this could be fun in places where kiting is not allowed or bad access..?
If you are using the Naish/Gong products, handing is really easy and it is easy to get started on a SUP (especially if you have never foiled before). The duotone wing is bit more frisky when you are not moving, but a little practice gives you the necessary skill to manage it. Gunnar has some great video's using the Ozone Wasp providing the clues.

I could already foil, so I had no challenges at all on a SUP board. I have now shrunk from an 8 foot 150L SUP down to a 6.5 125L SUP (this improved the winging experience enormously).

And I now wing in heaps of places I would/could never launch a kite at, so there are a heap of new locations. And it appears at the moment that the wing offends neither windsurfers or kiters :D .

Is it suitable to give to someone whos never tried a kite? Can u ride a regular SUP with this and have some fun?
I am currently teaching my wife to wing (previously taught her to do basic kiting) and she likes the fact that she can do it without any assistance. Teaching her on a SUP...... it's not exciting like a SUP foil, but it is getting her going. Once her basic wing skills are down, I will introduce a foil on a short mast.
Big tone (or any other non pro’s), any videos to share?

It’s great seeing videos from pro’s like Gunner and Horst, and even from the super humans like Balz and Kia, or some youngster pro showing us how water start a 29 liter board. Then again it’s nice to see some clips of average blokes progressing through the basics😀
I have never considered filming it ...... I think from outside it mostly looks boring, but the actual execution is anything but.
Gunnar's video's are really excellent with everything you need to get started.

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly kite foil and wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, Moses 633/450/72cm/82cm, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Echo 6/5/4/3.3m wing-a-dings, SurfMachine 5’1” 90l wing board, Gong pro XL, Moses 1100/790

Postby Dave K » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:05 am

bigtone667 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:17 pm
Dave K wrote:

It’s great seeing videos from pro’s like Gunner and Horst, and even from the super humans like Balz and Kia, or some youngster pro showing us how water start a 29 liter board. Then again it’s nice to see some clips of average blokes progressing through the basics😀
I have never considered filming it ...... I think from outside it mostly looks boring, but the actual execution is anything but.
I don’t quite agree. When I started kite foiling I wanted to find video of “beginners” going through progression of each skill set as much as I wanted to see all the tutorial videos or advanced riding vids I’d probably never achieve. No one ever posts video of the endless falls it took to achieve a new skill set, just the final result. Video also gives you a perspective of someone’s skill level, plus it’s always less boring than just reading an extended verbal description.

But I fully get it, everyone wants to talk about doing cool stuff, and post video of cool stuff, even though the vast majority of us struggle to get beyond the basics. Oh well.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Duotone, Flysurfer, Alpine

Postby cglazier » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:47 am

Here is a nice introductory video that covers the early stages of learning to wing.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:21 pm

Dave K wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:05 am
bigtone667 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:17 pm
Dave K wrote:

I don’t quite agree. When I started kite foiling I wanted to find video of “beginners” going through progression of each skill set as much as I wanted to see all the tutorial videos or advanced riding vids I’d probably never achieve. No one ever posts video of the endless falls it took to achieve a new skill set, just the final result. Video also gives you a perspective of someone’s skill level, plus it’s always less boring than just reading an extended verbal description.

But I fully get it, everyone wants to talk about doing cool stuff, and post video of cool stuff, even though the vast majority of us struggle to get beyond the basics. Oh well.
I agree Dave - that it is useful to see full on beginners learning as they tend to make all the mistakes.

I reckon this is a fairly typical beginner first try with a wing on a SUP (with a fin). Thanks to Jeff - who does a good blog of his adventures.

This is Jeff's second day with the wing, in slightly flatter conditions.

Flat water would make a very big difference - if you can get it.
This is in an estuary with a mix of levels of SUP. Ruben is an experienced SUP foiler.

This guy is doing better than average I would guess in these conditions, for a first attempt. He may know how to windsurf, judging by his handling of the wing.

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels
Wings: Cloud W1 3,4,5,6m, Duotone 7m
Boards: Naish Monarch, Naish Hover 155/110/130 Fanatic Sky Wing 5'8"
Foils: AXIS 1150/1020/1010/820 Foil

Postby bigtone667 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:03 pm

All of those videos are good. For me there was three basic stages:
1. Figuring out how to stand up on the board holding the wing
2. Figuring how to maintain your point of balance on the board with the wing
3. Figuring out how to get up on the foil

I started learning at an onshore location. So I would paddle out 50m, point the board to shore, stand up, haul the wing overhead and then attempt to turn the board parallel to shore. I did this for about ten sessions and was frustrated with my inability to stay upwind. I got sick of all the paddling out and started trying the knee starts with the board parallel to the shore. This worked better for me as the wing provided assistance in standing and I expended no energy paddling out. But I still sucked staying upwind, but I was getting better. The big benefit for me with the knee start was I was able to move down from an 8 foot board to a 6.5 foot board immediately. (video 4 shows good knee starts). Overall, I was pretty useless getting up when I started, but twenty sessions in I just started popping up without any dramas (until I shrunk the board size to 6 foot and I am working hard again!!!)

Once up, everything becomes trying to find a good surf stance while maintaining balance against the wing and wind (video one is a typical representation on what occurs). Be prepared for a lot of push ups as you climb back onto the board. It doesn't take too long before you get a sense of setting the wing for forward movement and increasing/releasing pressure on your back hand to gain/lose power.

Video 4 is an excellent representation of what typically occurs when you first start attempting to get onto the foil. You pop up, slam down, pop up, slam down. My impression is he was leaning too far back.

If I assume you only have a 4m wing,then finding a flat water location with 20 knots will make the progression easier. I kept trying to do it in 10 to 15 knots on a 5m wing and it just involved quite a few walks of shame (with time, I figured out how to stay upwind on or off the mast).

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly kite foil and wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, Moses 633/450/72cm/82cm, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Echo 6/5/4/3.3m wing-a-dings, SurfMachine 5’1” 90l wing board, Gong pro XL, Moses 1100/790

Postby Dave K » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:45 am

Thanks for the vids/description Ronnie and Bigtone.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:35 pm

Dave K wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:45 am
Thanks for the vids/description Ronnie and Bigtone.
Someone learning on flat water.

Return to “Wingsurfing”