Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil / Slingshot Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: Anyone tried foiling with a wing?

Postby juandesooka » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:45 pm

joekitetime wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:10 pm
Oh the dilemma!
hehe, I like how you think ... point, counterpoint to argue against your point, then counter counter point back to start, then new tangent! But, when you finally decide, no one can say you didn't think through all the options. 8)

I have been kite foiling for 5-6 years, focused mainly on riding swells and waves sometimes. I haven't done a lot of big wing kite foiling, but a bit ... I personally don't find that I can have worry-free surfing, either its pulling a bit or the angle's not quite right or the lines are getting slack. If I am worrying about or fussing with a kite, then I am not focused on surfing the wave, and that doesn't do it for me.

My vision: surfing down the line on my sup foil, with the wing just floating there while I surf. Then forget the paddling or pumping, just wing it back. Vision #2: long downwinders riding windswells. Something I rarely do kiting, as I can't trust that the downwind wind conditions will be adequately kiteable. And I've never done this sup foiling, as it sounds like way too much work for the amount of riding. But wing assisted, could be fun.

Slogging out: super easy, you just paddle the sup with wing floating behind you. Easier than a windsurfer for sure.

Carting gear: a non-issue for me, as I am already lugging around massive sup foil for surfing. But an unintended benefit: takes me 5 minutes to rig up versus 15. Which may make quick strike short sessions more feasible, when wind chasing involves fitting in small windows in a too busy day ... 20 minutes saved may make the difference between getting wet or not.

Those are the selling points for me trying it. I need to get competent enough that I can properly judge the capabilities and weight it against other options. If it doesn't work, then I will have a Gong 5m for sale. :thumb:

joekitetime
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Sherman
Style: surf, foil, wake, plywood
Gear: wainman, slingshot, homegrown
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby joekitetime » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:56 pm

Sometimes I just argue with myself for the sake of arguing too...

I do like your "vision" of sup surfing, and using the wing to get back out. That would be my hope as "swell"...

It could be a toss up between paddle and wing for sup foiling. Paddle in no wind (I've never paddled a sup foil, but paddling a regular foil back out isn't bad) but use the wing if the wind is favorable.

There is some reliability with the paddle in paddling thru surf in the lineup, whereas if you fall with the wing in the impact zone there could be a lot to deal with. But, that is where experimenting should indicate the best/easiest approach.

Let us know how it goes. I don't envision trying it in the surf until at least November...

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil / Slingshot Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:40 pm

for sure, lots of "logistics" to figure out with using one of these wings in surf....the wipeouts may well be chaotic. I imagine running over wing with foil will be a problem.

I am transitioning from sup foil to surf foil, so getting used to paddling again, after a decade or so away from shortboarding. Have quickly concluded that arm strength < paddle strength < wind power. And that I am not 25 any more. Nor 35 or 45. :-(

For the downwinder aspect, some wing riders are lashing a paddle to the middle strut, for getting back to shore if wind dies.

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels

North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Firewire Evo, CrazyFly Doors, Naish Hover 155/130, AXIS 102 Foil, Zeeko XXLW Spitfire, Fanatic Aero 1500

Postby bigtone667 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:12 am

I bought the duotone 5m wing ...... I like having the solid boom rather than hand loops.

IF the water is deep enough and:

If the wind is blowing 15 to 25 knots ..... I will pull out the 8' SUP/foil/wing and bounce around.
If the wind is sub 15 ..... I will pull out the kite and foil.
If the wind is over 25 ...... I will pull out the kite and TT.

It has a place in my lineup and I am really enjoying it.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, Duotone, Flysurfer, Alpine

Postby cglazier » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:17 am

some nice pictures..
Attachments
wingfoil.JPG
wingfoil.JPG (38.83 KiB) Viewed 211 times
wing4 (2) (Small).JPG
wing4 (2) (Small).JPG (88.17 KiB) Viewed 212 times
69689336_914213265622716_307263523723935744_o (Small).jpg
69689336_914213265622716_307263523723935744_o (Small).jpg (33.7 KiB) Viewed 212 times
67794007_899261047117938_3144769934530183168_n (Small).jpg
67794007_899261047117938_3144769934530183168_n (Small).jpg (44.1 KiB) Viewed 212 times

elguapo
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: cabarete, kanaha
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:06 pm

this.

looks like a complete and total waste of a perfectly windy day..to me
...but to each their own.

fwiw, i dont care how folks choose to chase their whatever they consider a stoke...
but just go do it.

the naked guerilla marketing that goes on in these forums and instagram and facebook is about as subtle as a japanese daytime commercials.

and try selling a bit less sizzle and a little more steak, plzz?
all this "dream selling....it aint necessary.

...everyone knows downwinders are ALWAYS fun.
no one ever said they werent....

...but what about getting back?
should i assume it is significantly easie getting up on the foil going upwind?

and again...should lugging a huge handheld stringess and a wet high displacement SUP back to a starting point...part of the fun?
because that is the reality for 99% of buyers.
they will buy it..use it once..and then it will sit in the closet until a greater fool buys in at a garage sale (oh wait...that's actually the plan, rite?)
Thanks Gunnar for your informative post. In contrast it is rather tiring to see those who have never tried a wing repeatedly posting their opinions. Perhaps they think ... whatever.. :roll:
this reminds me of the words a wise man...

these wing things ARE NOT NEW.
...they are NOT NOVEL.
they been around almost 20 years.

it is silly.. i've seen these many many years ago on north shore maui.. they were lame to me then on a surfboard...and then are lame to me now on an even heavier foilboard

reintroducing these wing things are like disney re-introducing jar jar binks..."updated" for current market climate of course.
yes, they got marketing power to try it.....and get the sheeple amongst us follow them and think they're "stoke" and having fun blah blah..... but it would still be lame.
just like it was before..

elguapo
Frequent Poster

Postby elguapo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:12 pm

cglazier wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:17 am
some nice pictures..

so i can assume these are pictures of you having fun on your cool wing thing?

or just more "lifestyle images" of happy models smoking beer?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:38 pm

elguapo wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:13 pm
Laughingman wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:08 pm
LMAO, the manufactures be like OOOOh its the next awesome thing.... Facebook/instagram/kite pros etc.... (including Gunnar... so sad) be like ... its awesome get one...

Kiteforum be like ....... crickets

And this is why I love this place. No marketing BS is going to influence us!

search.php?keywords=wing <----- one thread ROFLMAO! Too funny
little bit of a low brow on a broda, eh?

and this wingsurfing thing....what is dis?
it that like that umbrella surf fad that is taking the world by storm right now?
:naughty:
Yah well it was a targeted point, I follow very few sponsored riders and try to follow mostly (from what I can tell) unbiased testers, people who get gear sent to them to try, sadly certain testers lately (imho) have sold out and are saying what their (nonsponsors but here is a free thing) for you to talk about... want them to say.
No one I know is even remotely interested in a windwing, it is clearly being hyped up by the manufactures and as a result all those they have influence over. I'm not saying there is no use for them, someone who does not already know how to kite might get a go on them and have a bit of fun, but you cannot possibly put them in the same class, that'd be like saying SUP'in and kiting are similar... (and that's another thing I never got) although most people I know at least "say" they like it but the minute the wind shows up the SUP's are on the beach and they are out kiting... at best something to pass the time waiting for wind... not the wing though, that thing needs wind, like I'm gonna pass on kiting to go winging :jump:

elguapo
Frequent Poster

Postby elguapo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:53 pm

i feel ya bro man..

i try to be respectful... but it is curious to that in a cottage industry suck as kiting that sponsors would risk credibility of their talent for some cheap online "influencing"

they could have easily enlisted an army of virtual assistants from india to spam all the forums/youtube/reddit and make fake review for much cheaper and probably at least equal effectiveness

jkrug
Frequent Poster

Postby jkrug » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:19 pm

elguapo wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:53 pm

i try to be respectful...
no...you don't. but what's funny to me is how often you feel you need to comment on this topic. if you're so against the concept, why bother commenting or even reading about it? we get it...you think it's lame. now go do what normal people do and pay attention to things you don't think are lame.
These users thanked the author jkrug for the post:
juandesooka (Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:29 pm)
Rating: 10%

Return to “Hydrofoil”