Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone tried foiling with a wing?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels

North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Firewire Evo, CrazyFly Doors, Naish Hover 155/130, AXIS 102 Foil, Zeeko XXLW Spitfire, Fanatic Aero 1500
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Anyone tried foiling with a wing?

Postby bigtone667 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:01 am

gmb13 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:42 pm
cglazier wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:21 am
cwood wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:00 pm
I'm interested to know if you can gain anything upwind on a SUP with a normal skeg fin?
I haven't actually tried, but I would say no, a wing will not get you going upwind with just a normal SUP fin. Even with a hydrofoil you don't really make much progress upwind until you are up foiling.
:wink:
Yes you can. You just need to know which handles to hold and how to use the wing like a sail.

--
Gunnar
The type of board and your weight impact your ability to go upwind when not on the foil.

ie At 105kg, on a Hover 150, I cannot go upwind unless I am on the foil. But my mate on a Hover 125, who is 80kg, has no issues.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,

Postby gmb13 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:12 am

Here are the How To Videos I made for Ozone for the WASP. Most of it also applies to other Wings and Wingfoiling/riding in gerneral

These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post:
bigtone667 (Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:31 pm)
Rating: 10%

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,

Postby gmb13 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:16 am

bigtone667 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:01 am
gmb13 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:42 pm
cglazier wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:21 am

I haven't actually tried, but I would say no, a wing will not get you going upwind with just a normal SUP fin. Even with a hydrofoil you don't really make much progress upwind until you are up foiling.
:wink:
Yes you can. You just need to know which handles to hold and how to use the wing like a sail.

--
Gunnar
The type of board and your weight impact your ability to go upwind when not on the foil.

ie At 105kg, on a Hover 150, I cannot go upwind unless I am on the foil. But my mate on a Hover 125, who is 80kg, has no issues.
Not really. I have tried every type of board and have been able to make it work and also with heaver friends on bigger SUPS or Windsurf boards. Check out the How to Ride Video above. A lot of people think that the Hand positions for Foiling and displacement riding are the same, but they are not.

When not foiling to you need to have your hands more forward on the Boom/strut and ride with the Wing more open to go up wind. Also where you stand on the board makes a huge difference. If you have enough wind to get planning on the board then its all about foot position on the board.

--
Gunnar

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Every puddle I can find in Central Europe,
the unpopular the better
Style: SLOW STYLE & stuntkiting
Gear: Just MONOFOILS, no training wheels ;-)
OZONE chrono; FLYSURFER sonic²/r, peak4; CONCEPTAIR firefly; DUOTONE foilwing
Brand Affiliation: KITEJUNKIE.com 's prank monkey

Postby Horst Sergio » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:15 am

I see it like Gunnar,
it is possible to go upwind in lets say at least around 5 knts even with my setup with 63 kg naked and 72 l, but similar as with those values on a windsurfer it can pretty much be a pain, so sometimes depending from wind and wave conditions it can be more effectiv to swim with such a setup even if it is downwind.

When not flying with small but still floating boards it is important to balance both your weight over the board to have the tail not going to much down and therefore having a bad board pitch against forward direction but on the other hand you have to bring the kitewings pressure point as far back over the pressure point of your fin or better foil strut. And there will always be a conflict for smaller boards especially the more the fin or strut is towards back. It can be solved a bit by body tension which allows to seperate your center of weight and the forces of both wings running through your bodys structure, but again if to much it will be even more pain... that is how my setup looks in close to enough wind short before I start pumping to lift of.
Kitejunkie-Wingfoil-Prestart.jpg
But even if I think this could become a big business and in some years the supermarket could also sell kitewings together with their low cost iSUPS ... I just don't understand, even with big boards, anybody who wants to use those wings without foil

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity
Has thanked: 0

Postby mr_daruman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:01 pm

I rode a 7'7 x 27 SUP surf board with big quad fins upwind without too much problem in 10 knots. And yes , seems like the front hand needs to be way forward when not foiling to go upwind.
People tend to forget that you need to hook up 2 leashes...what a pain. Tried with just the wing leash but you cant really body drag to get your board like in kitesurfing. Thats my main annoyance with this sport. Plus the huge boards.

Return to “Hydrofoil”