A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1987
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Re: Anyone tried foiling with a wing?

Postby revhed » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:01 pm

Like the one handed, and thats the application best suited IMHO!
R H

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby oldkiter » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:07 pm

ronnie wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:26 pm
elguapo wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:58 am
juandesooka wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:37 pm
Flashing back to the earlier discussions of who these wings are aimed at. They are less efficient than kites or windsurfers, so not surprising that both groups of wind chasers aren't too impressed.

I also follow the sup foil and surf foil forums, where there's lots of surfers with no wind sports experience. Surfers generally hate wind, seems only a small % make the crossover to kiting. One of the most frequents posters on the surf foil forum stated recently that he's getting a little bored in surf foiling, having gone at it hard last couple years, and reached a plateau where it's getting repetitive. But he's since picked up a wing and is flipping out stoked. His feedback: "I'll never paddle for another wave again" ... just 6 sessions in and he's winging out, riding waves in with the wing unpowered, rinse and repeat. Though it helps he is in Kanaha Maui, which is about as optimal a set up as you'll find...weak waves breaking way outside, lots of sideshore wind.

Having brought lots of people into kiting and witnessing the froth, I am sure he'd be just as stoked if he took up kiting. But it's interesting that the wing was the easy entry to wind sports, pick it up quick without lessons, and less expensive gear. That's a pretty small target market, compared to the multitudes on sups on lakes, but it's a natural extension ... suspect we'll see a lot more moving across. And then as posters suggested here, no doubt some of these people will carry on to kiting or windsurfing, to expand conditions and capabilities. Wing may be the gateway drug for surfer types. :lol:

It's fun to read this guy's stoke, think back to starting kiting, opened my eyes to a whole new possibility for massive fun. That starting out phase is magic.

i think you hit the nail on the head...

these things were made for...and are IDEAL for folks on the north shore of maui.
in particular beaches under the flight path of the airport and in the precious windsurf areas that they dont want tainted by us sullied heathen known as kiteboarders...
i'm certain there are kiters in similar "less free" parts of the world that are are oppressed by similar byzantine laws (those are areas i'd expect to see these things)
This is on the North shore of Maui in very marginal to 'not-enough' wind.
That low wind sup foiling with wing looks great to me.
For close to 40 years I've driven 80 miles round trip for 12-18 mph wind for windsurfing and kiting (last 15-16 years).
I live 5 minutes from ocean in SoCal. Wind usually 6-12 mph with outer reefs. Beach badly eroded!
I just got a 7m wing and foil specific sup (140 L) and will try to learn with SS Fkite foil setup.
For what time I have left I'm going to have an awesome time!!!

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:53 pm

I though kite hydrofoiling looked super kook when I first saw it. Now it's all I do!

I cackled about this too for a good long bit, but I can see the sport in it now for sure.

I don't want one, but people are making it look fun.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil / Slingshot Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:47 pm

oldkiter wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:07 pm
That low wind sup foiling with wing looks great to me.
For close to 40 years I've driven 80 miles round trip for 12-18 mph wind for windsurfing and kiting (last 15-16 years).
I live 5 minutes from ocean in SoCal. Wind usually 6-12 mph with outer reefs. Beach badly eroded!
I just got a 7m wing and foil specific sup (140 L) and will try to learn with SS Fkite foil setup.
For what time I have left I'm going to have an awesome time!!!
I suspect you're going to want to upgrade to a larger wing with more lift. Especially while in learning phase. Try to find an Infinity 84 ... Black Friday is this week, may be some deals out there.

Maximize the limited time you have left with optimal gear right from the get-go! :-)

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:12 am

Our local crew got out last night in 30+ knots. They were finally up and powered and riding on the foil and looked to be having fun. At worst it looked like windsurfing, except it was easier to get off the beach. Just walk and paddle out then get up and go.

I was kitefoiliong and had a mega struggle getting off the beach through a strong onshore beach break with a 4m kite. After lots of walking against waves and dragging and being pushed back onto the beach, I eventually used brute force. Water start straight up onto the foil in waist deep water between sets. Even that took a couple of goes and a crash off the top of a pitching wave. Good thing I kind of like being battered by waves. :o

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:20 am

So you think/see it is a lot easier to get out in onshore breaking waves than on a kitefoil Oz?

If so, do you have any idea why?

Surprising, wouldn't have expected that.

8) Peter

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Favorite Beaches: Every puddle I can find in Central Europe,
the unpopular the better
Style: SLOW STYLE & stuntkiting
Gear: Just MONOFOILS, no training wheels ;-)
OZONE chrono; FLYSURFER sonic²/r, peak4; CONCEPTAIR firefly; DUOTONE foilwing
Brand Affiliation: KITEJUNKIE.com 's prank monkey

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:44 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:20 am
So you think/see it is a lot easier to get out in onshore breaking waves than on a kitefoil Oz?
Wouldn't expect this, even if having not to many sessions in serious waves with kitefoil and wingfoil, but quite some on windsurfer.

With the kitefoil you are pretty fast to do a loop and start inbetween two waves, then even surf style low powered you have still some power to get over waves and a good upwind.
On the other hand talking about a still floating wingfoil board it takes quite some time to get into starting and on top foiling position even if quite well powered, later upwind and ability to cross waves to me doesn't feel better than on a kite.
Only benefit I can see is riding in the mean with shorter struts and so maybe reaching point for take of easilier by foot. And if you are good the bigger floating board in the white water can have advantages.
But for sure it depends as always a lot from conditions, material and abilities in detail.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:41 am

OzBungy wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:12 am
Our local crew got out last night in 30+ knots. They were finally up and powered and riding on the foil and looked to be having fun. At worst it looked like windsurfing, except it was easier to get off the beach. Just walk and paddle out then get up and go.

I was kitefoiliong and had a mega struggle getting off the beach through a strong onshore beach break with a 4m kite. After lots of walking against waves and dragging and being pushed back onto the beach, I eventually used brute force. Water start straight up onto the foil in waist deep water between sets. Even that took a couple of goes and a crash off the top of a pitching wave. Good thing I kind of like being battered by waves. :o
It seems to me that there is a future for a wing that will sit in a stable position overhead on a leash, and could be towed at speed on the leash. That would help in paddling out through shorebreak, and possibly free up both arms when riding a wave. I did some experiments with the 4m Duotone wing to see if I could make it sit in a stable position like that, but no success.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:23 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:44 am
Peter_Frank wrote:
Wouldn't expect this, even if having not to many sessions in serious waves with kitefoil and wingfoil, but quite some on windsurfer.

With the kitefoil you are pretty fast to do a loop and start inbetween two waves, then even surf style low powered you have still some power to get over waves and a good upwind.
On the other hand talking about a still floating wingfoil board it takes quite some time to get into starting and on top foiling position even if quite well powered, later upwind and ability to cross waves to me doesn't feel better than on a kite.
Only benefit I can see is riding in the mean with shorter struts and so maybe reaching point for take of easilier by foot. And if you are good the bigger floating board in the white water can have advantages.
But for sure it depends as always a lot from conditions, material and abilities in detail.

My thoughts too, so dont understand why Oz says it seems easier - we need some details :roll:

8) Peter

Adolfo
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Adolfo » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:23 pm
Horst Sergio wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:44 am
Peter_Frank wrote:

My thoughts too, so dont understand why Oz says it seems easier - we need some details :roll:

8) Peter
With a sup foil board and a wing, you can leash the wing to your ankle and prone paddle the board out through the surf.
Once you are out of the impact zone, you stand up, grab the wing and you are in business.
I can’t do that with my foil kite board and kite.

Return to “Hydrofoil”