Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What is the biggest kite you use for foiling?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Crissssssss
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Miami
Favorite Beaches: Varadero
Style: Freeride
Gear: Liquid Force NV
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What is the biggest kite you use for foiling?

Postby Crissssssss » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:56 am

Flyboy, I do have a 11m kite but I think it weights too much for foiling. Maybe the wow is a better option than the NV because it’s a wave kite that drifts much better. I know that the solo is great for foiling, but I’m not sure if i will like a just one strut kite and I already had a quiver of NVs and WOWs and I loved them. I think that the cabo is similar to the wow. My biggest issue is that I’m not sure what’s the best size for me and I’m trying to get some opinions before buying a kite for foiling.
Thanks for the help man

Wazza Foil
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Hams
Style: Kite surfing strapless. Foil, SUP and ka
Gear: lots

Postby Wazza Foil » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:36 am

I use 27 or 32m race lines on very light days 8kn +/- mainly to help get up on my board, once up no issues.
So 10m strutless Cloud with 32m race lines and Moses 790 for my 76kg no issues.
The Cloud will fly in light wind (about 5kn) I can not get up on my low volume board but will pull me back to shore without a swim.
Only had one session with the 790 wing so can not comment how much easier it would be.

Tom Tom
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Tom Tom » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:08 am

Oz Hyperlink V2 9m on 25m lines. Paired with Moses T38 and 633 wing I ride when the kite flies. 6-7knots in practice.

flying doctor
Medium Poster

Postby flying doctor » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:00 am

I’m curious about this as well, having just started foiling
Does it make sense to buy extensions first to see what extra power you can get out of your existing kites or should you aim for foil specific kites?

I have a Naish slash 5 and 7 that work reasonably well and a 9m pivot I seem to struggle with more on foil.
I use 22 m lines and have 2m extensions, but I read a lot about 28-32 m lines.

Having tried a Gong Unik 6,8 on a surfboard the experience of the kite’s light upward pull made me think this type of kite might make progression more easy.

And would a 7m on 30m lines get close to the power of a 9m on 22m lines?

Hope you experts can enlighten me on this one!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:08 am

Crissssssss wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:56 am
Flyboy, I do have a 11m kite but I think it weights too much for foiling. Maybe the wow is a better option than the NV because it’s a wave kite that drifts much better. I know that the solo is great for foiling, but I’m not sure if i will like a just one strut kite and I already had a quiver of NVs and WOWs and I loved them. I think that the cabo is similar to the wow. My biggest issue is that I’m not sure what’s the best size for me and I’m trying to get some opinions before buying a kite for foiling.
Thanks for the help man

I would save the money and get a foil and learn first :thumb:

Your 11 Hifi X is just perfect for learning to foil, as you need more wind when learning.

When you have learned, you can ride with the 11 in 10 knots @90 kg.
Yes it is a heavier more C like kite, but it can ride in 10 knots.
Average weight riders can use an 8 or 9 m2 normal LEI kite in 10 knots, with a big wing, and no need for a light kite in 10 knots.

When you have learned foiling and are ABLE to ride in 10 knots, you might have found which kite to get.

Wouldnt worry about it now...

A common mistake by new foilers: They get the foil with the dream of going out when light wind, but they dont practice in more wind, and when light, nothing works (when learning) and it is impossible.
Kite will drop because you focus on the foil (or crash), and you can not relaunch and have to make a full swim/drift ashore, go out again, and exactly the same thing happens when going out again, nothing is fun and you stop.

Lock your twintip into a closet, and give the key to someone who will only give it back when you have learned to foil, that is my best advice :rollgrin:

Meaning, learn in more wind and let the tt stay home till you can foil reasonably, and from then you can do both.

It is below 10 knots, the lighter kites are a necessity, but in 10 knots they are not needed :D

In the future when you have learned and looking for a lightwind LEI (if not a foilkite?), then with 90 kg you can easily use a 13 m2 for foiling, but dont go bigger than that, I have seen so many around same weight, who has been sorry getting a 15 m2 LEI.
If you want even more low end you should go for a big foilkite instead.
But an 11-12 m2 light LEI works great for average weight riders as the biggest LEI kite, but bigger is a no go mostly, more disadvantages than advantages now, quite evident when foiling.

So a 13 m2 light kite will be fine for you :D

8) Peter
Last edited by Peter_Frank on Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:18 am

flying doctor wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:00 am
I’m curious about this as well, having just started foiling
Does it make sense to buy extensions first to see what extra power you can get out of your existing kites or should you aim for foil specific kites?

I have a Naish slash 5 and 7 that work reasonably well and a 9m pivot I seem to struggle with more on foil.
I use 22 m lines and have 2m extensions, but I read a lot about 28-32 m lines.

Having tried a Gong Unik 6,8 on a surfboard the experience of the kite’s light upward pull made me think this type of kite might make progression more easy.

And would a 7m on 30m lines get close to the power of a 9m on 22m lines?

Hope you experts can enlighten me on this one!

You dont get more power with longer lines, so no, a 7 m2 on 30 m lines has the same power as a 7 on 22 m2 lines.
When riding straight that is !!!

The reason longer lines are used by most foilers, is because you get a lot more power when dived or looped, so you can get up foiling on this stroke, and WHEN up, you want as little power as possible mostly.

This is the paradox, you want loads of power to start, and minimum power when up foiling, as you will easily get too much power now if using a kitesize where the start goes easy, on short lines.

So using a smaller kite with longer lines will give you both, a win win :thumb:

Another reason I like longer lines is it gives me much better carving options with fluidity/power, but this will take a long time till you can utilize.

Also a lot easier to save the kite from dropping, in really light wind, or if a beginner, so you can just as well use longer lines from the start.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
flying doctor (Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:20 am)
Rating: 10%

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels

North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Firewire Evo, CrazyFly Doors, Naish Hover 155/130, AXIS 102 Foil, Zeeko XXLW Spitfire, Fanatic Aero 1500

Postby bigtone667 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:33 am

17m C2 Cloud on 32m lines ...... 2000cm2 wing ....... my light light light wind rig,

Wazza Foil
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hams
Style: Kite surfing strapless. Foil, SUP and ka
Gear: lots

Postby Wazza Foil » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:52 am

bigtone667 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:33 am
17m C2 Cloud on 32m lines ...... 2000cm2 wing ....... my light light light wind rig,
What weight would you be in all the winter gear?

Tomlutz
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Soul 21, Soul 12, Trigger 9, Nobile Zen Foil, Pansh Genesis

Postby Tomlutz » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:39 am

Crissssssss wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:29 pm
Hey guys, how’s it going? What’s your most used kite for foiling? I’m located in Florida so in the summer the wind is pretty light. I was looking to add a 15m NV to my quiver or get a foil, in that case what’s the biggest kite you use when foiling? I just want to use it for the days that the wind is too light for the twintip. I’m looking at the NV or the WOW. Thanks.
If you begin foiling use a kite nearly as large as you would take for TT. I was only successful learning with a 21 Soul in 5/6 knots to 9 knots (18 Soul that I don't have would have done the same job), 15 Pansh A15 in 7/8 knots, 12 Soul from 10 knots.

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)
Has thanked: 0

Postby robclaisse » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:02 am

It's great to see all the different setups and options people ride, it really shows how foiling is so diverse in what is possible.

For me - 105kg, 6'6" - so a need a more power to get me up. I ride a F-one Mirage 800 foil.
For the first two years, my 10m Neo did me fine from 10 knots upwards but at that point I didn't like to ride with much power.
Now I want more power & lift in the lighter winds so for the last year I've had a 15m Breeze v2 as my lightwind kite and it's been great, getting me out and riding comfortably 8 knots+. I often have my 11m Bandit setup at the same time so I can compare the two. I do try and get onto my Bandit as soon as I can as the fast turning speed is a big win for tricks and transitions but the grunt of the 15m is fun and gets me on the water. I've just swapped it for a 17m Breeze! I'm not sure if it will be better but I'm keen to keep trying all the options and not just stick with the same thing and assume it's right - experimentation in foiling is fun and important with so much change with kites and foils at the moment. Mark Shinn swapped from a large foil kite to a 17m Ultra this year and swears by it for lightwind foiling.

And just one other thing on wind - in Cape Town wind readings of 6-8 knots was enough for me to ride my 15m comfortably but back in the UK I need at least 8-10 to get the same power. So be aware that in these lighter winds, in different places, with different wind densities, 1 or 2 knots can make a big difference.
These users thanked the author robclaisse for the post:
matanshapira (Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:42 pm)
Rating: 10%

Return to “Hydrofoil”