Asylum
Mixer
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Twintip straight to foil....

Postby Rob112 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:43 pm

richy-c wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:30 pm
https://www.progression.me/blog/learnin ... surfboard/

As posted earlier these guys know there stuff.
I've actually booked a lesson in with these guys - happen to live in the same town as they teach (Brighton).

richy-c
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best

Postby richy-c » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:04 pm

Rob112 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:43 pm
richy-c wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:30 pm
https://www.progression.me/blog/learnin ... surfboard/

As posted earlier these guys know there stuff.
I've actually booked a lesson in with these guys - happen to live in the same town as they teach (Brighton).

[/quotThats great!
These users thanked the author richy-c for the post:
andrzej351 (Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:00 am)
Rating: 3.03%

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:25 pm

elguapo wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:14 pm
matth wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:20 am
I think SB experience helps without question. Besides the jibing and footwork that others have mention, it's the water starts that help the most IMO. When water starting on a SB you need front foot pressure similar to a foil.
true.
but why not just go straight to foil?

why waste time and energy to learn to jibe and waterstart a direction.. when you can better utilize your time/energy learning on a foil (which is the original objective)

if someone already had above avg board riding skills (ie came from a surf background) and was interested in foiling...i'd advise them to just go straigh to learning to foil.
(skip twin tips and directional riding)

True I guess, no need to learn to ride a directional first ,but I have zero regrets. Riding a surfboard in the waves is by far my favorite form of kiting... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

BigZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Central California Coast
Favorite Beaches: Jalama Beach
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave kites,
Surfboards, surfboards, and more surfboards ...

Did I say surfboards ?
Has thanked: 0

Postby BigZ » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:28 am

matth wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:25 pm
elguapo wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:14 pm
matth wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:20 am
I think SB experience helps without question. Besides the jibing and footwork that others have mention, it's the water starts that help the most IMO. When water starting on a SB you need front foot pressure similar to a foil.
true.
but why not just go straight to foil?

why waste time and energy to learn to jibe and waterstart a direction.. when you can better utilize your time/energy learning on a foil (which is the original objective)

if someone already had above avg board riding skills (ie came from a surf background) and was interested in foiling...i'd advise them to just go straigh to learning to foil.
(skip twin tips and directional riding)

True I guess, no need to learn to ride a directional first ,but I have zero regrets. Riding a surfboard in the waves is by far my favorite form of kiting... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Couldn’t agree more. Foiling is fun and gets you on water early. But nothing beats kiting on a surfboard when waves and wind align.

codifilo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby codifilo » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:25 am

The problem I often see with people that go straight to foil from twintip is that they learn to foil fine but they struggle to learn to jibe and switching feet and eventually they get fed up of having to completely stop and waterstart each time. While for people with a background using directional boards it's only a matter of a couple of sessions to learn to jibe and switch feet with a touch down and that opens a whole new world. That's for me when foiling starts to be a great pleasant experience full of possibilities.
These users thanked the author codifilo for the post:
cor (Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:21 am)
Rating: 3.03%

richy-c
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best

Postby richy-c » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:07 pm

codifilo wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:25 am
The problem I often see with people that go straight to foil from twintip is that they learn to foil fine but they struggle to learn to jibe and switching feet and eventually they get fed up of having to completely stop and waterstart each time. While for people with a background using directional boards it's only a matter of a couple of sessions to learn to jibe and switch feet with a touch down and that opens a whole new world. That's for me when foiling starts to be a great pleasant experience full of possibilities.
👍

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Re: Twintip straight to foil...

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:18 pm

I went straight from TT to HF without many issues. My breakthrough was getting the 633. It gave me the ability to switch feet and jibe on foil.

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:25 am

codifilo wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:25 am
Exactly. At some point while learning to HF you will have a much harder time when you've skipped the SB. Not only jibes but also tacks etc. are very similar on a HF.

But yes, of course you can skip the SB. Just like you can skip a TT after you've learned the waterstart and go straight to a SB..I know some ppl who have done this.

Return to “Hydrofoil”