Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Learning foot switch, sea level first?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
matanshapira
Medium Poster

Learning foot switch, sea level first?

Postby matanshapira » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:10 pm

Do you think beginners that use a surf wing should first learn to switch foot on sea level first?
Maybe it'll be easier for them to use the technique in which you direct thr foil up, put the back foot at the front and then the front one at the back, that's because the upward movement of the foil allows a slower switch in which both feet are at the front for a brief moment due to the upward lift.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17, Flite 12, Prodigy 9.5, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing, Mako 150, Slingshot FSurf
Brand Affiliation: XL Kites

Re: Learning foot switch, sea level first?

Postby SENDIT! » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:58 pm

I don't know which might be better, but I completed my first foot switch today, on the surface of the water. I'm sure it didn't look very pretty, but it sure felt awesome! :D

I'm using the Slingshot FSurf/Alien Air combo and just changed from 1 foot strap to 1 half hook to try and make the transition easier to do. Looks like it might be working. ;) Good luck!

SENDIT!

slowboat
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby slowboat » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:22 pm

Learn foot switches on the surface first before trying foiling foot switches. Go back to a bigger board if you need to for this phase of your progression.

Basic advice is to have some board speed and switch from a narrow stance in the beginning. Helps to be well powered as kite will help balance you.

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses

Postby PurdyKiter » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:04 pm

slowboat wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:22 pm
Helps to be well powered as kite will help balance you.
Agree.
My biggest break-through day was when I learned to bring the kite high to where it almost felt silly high 11:30 or 12 o'clock. Sheet-in and switch in one move using the kite to lighten the load.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:20 pm

matanshapira wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:10 pm
Do you think beginners that use a surf wing should first learn to switch foot on sea level first?
Maybe it'll be easier for them to use the technique in which you direct thr foil up, put the back foot at the front and then the front one at the back, that's because the upward movement of the foil allows a slower switch in which both feet are at the front for a brief moment due to the upward lift.
Yes

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, Duotone, Flysurfer, Alpine

Postby cglazier » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:39 pm

All good advice above. Even if you try to switch your feet while up foiling, you will probably touch down.. which is fine when learning.

If you have an iphone or ipad download the Duotone Academy app. It's free. Look for the foil lesson called changing stance.. it's very good. [but not available yet for android]

:wink: CG

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Prodigy, 9.5m Prodigy, 12m Prodigy , 12m Flite, 17m Flite. Crazyfly Raptor Pro Neon, Shinnster,
Mako Duke.

Postby matth » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:11 am

I was working on mine today on the surface. No problem turning from heal to strong toeside, but I was having trouble getting back up on plane after surface turn, although I felt like it was in reach.

Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil

Postby Qiter » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:32 am

Absolutely, try on surface first, all tips above apply (bigger board, kite high up etc.). The best video is this one from Gunnar:

Have fun! To progress to the flying foot switch is a continuum, the touch downs will get shorter and shorter as you get better.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:20 am

matth wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:11 am
I was working on mine today on the surface. No problem turning from heal to strong toeside, but I was having trouble getting back up on plane after surface turn, although I felt like it was in reach.
You are heelside after your surface turn and can not get up foiling?
Sounds like you have too little power, as it will be the same as like just after a waterstart.

The video only shows one of the used jibes, the "race jibe" and not the "surf jibe" (as we call these here to distinguish)

Two extremely different ways to jibe foiling, switching feet before or after the carve - got nothing in common :naughty:

When doing it on the surface, my advice would be, in the two respective cases:

Set the board down on the surface, switch from heel to toe, carve around maybe not foiling, get up foiling again on the new tack. Or get up foiling during the carve like Gunnar shows, but not as easy when new.
or
Carve around foiling at slow speed, set the board down on the surface on the new tack where you are toeside, switch feet from toe to heel, get up foiling again.

8) Peter

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:06 am

Given the topic talks about "Learning to foot switch" I assume the actual gybe is not an issue.

I like to differentiate between "surface" moves and "touch down" moves.

Surface moves are where you bring the board down onto the surface. Do the move. Ride off and back up onto the foil.

Touch down moves are where during the move the board touches down momentarily.

You can practice swapping feet on the surface if you want. It won't hurt. You will get comfortable moving your feet about. It won't help all that much with the foiling foot swap. It leaves out all the important stuff. It's not a bad thing to be comfortable slogging along on the surface.

Touch down foot swaps are fun and quite easy. You move your new front foot to the strap. Move your old front foot back. During that instant where you only have one foot in the front strap the board will touch the surface, bounce off and away you go. It can be really fast and fluid. Again, it doesn't help all that much with learning the foiling foot swap.

To learn the flying foot swap, imagine a zone from just in front of the mast to 2/3-3/4 the way to the front straps/foot position. You can stand pretty much anywhere in this zone of stability and the board will happily foil along.

Practice cruising along in "ski" stance with both feet together in front of the mast. Just get used to feeling the feedback from the foil through your feet. Move in and out of ski stance and just get comfortable with the movement and the feeling.

When you get comfortable doing that move your foot to the other front strap. You've now done a flying foot swap.

Keep practicing and learning the feeling. Over time you can add a bit more kite power and a bit of a pump to the foil. With a little more practice you can start going from strap to strap and you're doing full on foiling foot swaps.

There are two advantages of learning this method. You get to practice to movements and the feeling without crashing all the time. You can adapt your foot swap technique so that you can swap at any time with any power and your kite in any position.

Possibly more importantly, you get used to controlling your board in almost any attitude and position. It becomes huge fun to swoop your way out of a foot swap with power and style.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post (total 3):
matanshapira (Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:35 pm) • wheat (Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:50 pm) • AndersP (Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:01 pm)
Rating: 30%

Return to “Hydrofoil”