Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

As a beginner when can i start trying to hydrofoil?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: As a beginner when can i start trying to hydrofoil?

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:24 pm

Yes, you'll want a big front wing (surf style) and a foilboard with good volume to make it easier to waterstart. I'm not familiar with the North kit you've described, but I'd agree with others encouraging you to just dive in. Regarding your having challenges body-dragging upwind, you'll find that your foilboard (assuming it has a mast and wing heavy enough to sink vertically) will motor downwind to you much faster than a twintip when you fall. You may find you have to chase it downwind. :thumb:

Xaxpop
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Uppsala
Gear: North EVO 9m2, North Rebel 12m2 - 2015.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Xaxpop » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:32 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:24 pm
Yes, you'll want a big front wing (surf style) and a foilboard with good volume to make it easier to waterstart. I'm not familiar with the North kit you've described, but I'd agree with others encouraging you to just dive in. Regarding your having challenges body-dragging upwind, you'll find that your foilboard (assuming it has a mast and wing heavy enough to sink vertically) will motor downwind to you much faster than a twintip when you fall. You may find you have to chase it downwind. :thumb:
Sweet, thanks for the answer! Chasing something downwind is something i can do :D.
Body-dragging is usually fine unless theres a lot of chop... Because if there is chop i keep insisting on keeping my big mouth open and almost drown every few meters. Oh if there was only an easy fix.. like i dont know... closing my freaking mouth? But alas it cannot be done.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:01 am

Xaxpop wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:01 pm
Thanks for all the answers and tips guys i appreciate it!

I got a pretty good deal on a north hybrid board (2 straps, can't do 3 straps setup) with a duotone/North foil setup in very good conditions, almost never used, with big and small mast for about 825 euro.
Anyone got any solid objections against a setup like that otherwise i'm going for it :).
You want a large slow wing that isnt too sharp. Something like the Shinn P Foil, Liquid Force Impulse, even the original liquid force rocket foil. And wear a helmet, remember with hydrofoiling the board/foil is alot more dangerous than the kite.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:20 am

UKSurf wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:01 am
And wear a helmet, remember with hydrofoiling the board/foil is alot more dangerous than the kite.
Geez! I think people with a lot of experience kiting aren't appreciating the limitations of someone who only has a few kiting sessions behind them. When you're not an experienced kiter the kite remains potentially quite dangerous, especially when combined with the awkwardness of dealing with the board/foil.

I will be fascinated to follow how Xaxpop gets along with this ... :coffee:

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:53 pm

I started foiling in 2016 after 15 years kiting. On small wings. It was brutal. I'm all in now and sold TT and Surfboards.

These days guys here are learning fast by first learning to foil in a cable park or behind a boat on big wings. Get to understand foiling.

Then go out with kites. They learn faster this way.

Kite control without thinking is important. It's gotta be like driving a car. Autopilot. Then you can add hydrofoil.

Hydrofoiling Lessons can be big help. I took 4 hrs private lessons after failing to get up my first 3 sessions, and it was key factor in learningand keeping it safe. It's like trying to go out and fly a Cessna without instructions..
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:
jumptheshark (Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:54 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”