Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Assateague MD
Style: Foil; Freestyle
Gear: North Rebel/Neo; Flysurfer Soul and Peak4; Slingshot and Moses foils
Brand Affiliation: None

speed tips on high aspect foil

Postby MaximumAC » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:43 pm

Anybody have any tips on holding down speed on a "race" foil? I'm on a used Spotz2 and currently have the stab angled so it is maximally raised (pointed leading edge down). No rear strap so I can play around with stance. I'm trying to keep the kite low and powered up so that my angles shift downwind. My understanding is that the foil should still be hiked over so I can push against the kite. Lots of front foot pressure, but I still find myself either getting pulled forward toward my toes, or angling upright and downwind or steering the kite higher to kill off speed.

I see that most racers have a super wide stance; should my rear foot be positioned behind the foil?

Just now, thinking out loud so to speak, i'm wondering if I'm still keeping my angle too aggressive so there's too much force transferred through my legs. How hard should I have to fight the foil on a downwind charge?

TIA!

juanpasala
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
Cabo de la Vela
San Andres
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 8 - 10 / Soul 8 - 12 - 15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Banga (inn for the joke)

Re: speed tips on high aspect foil

Postby juanpasala » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:59 pm

Hi Max

What kind of speeds are you looking for?
Whit what you describe the only advise I can give you is to try and lower the front foot pressure, either by putting back the foil on your board (if you have a rail system), or putting the front foot straps a bit more forward.
Also, angling the back of the stabilized might change the pressure pof the foil, but will ultimatelly hinder the speed you can reach.

MaximumAC
Medium Poster

Postby MaximumAC » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:08 pm

Looking to get into racing/go as fast as possible. My top speeds now are around 21-22 knots with a 15m kite in ~13-18 knots wind. I'm running the foil in a tuttle box.

Been watching Gunnar's POV video since I posted and it seems like he isn't that front foot heavy at all, granted it's hard to tell from the footage.

Jyoder
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Gear: Stringy Foil and DIY board
Has thanked: 0

Postby Jyoder » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:37 am

You maybe are already doing this, but I recently learned to make sure my back leg is fully extended with knee locked. Bend at your hip and consciously feel the kite pull transfer through your seat to leg to board with no give or play from a bent knee. I’m amazed at how this makes you accelerate and stay stabilized at high speeds. It took me effort to get used to this position, especially to weak side. Even when I thought my leg was straight it wasn’t.

kgb
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 9
Local Beach: Montrose Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras, NC & Tarifa, Spain
Style: Freeriding and wave riding.
Gear: Kite - Slingshot Fuel
Board - North Jaime Pro (twintip)
Brand Affiliation: None at all.

Postby kgb » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:00 am

You have too much angle on the rear wing, decreasecit a touch

It will take off some of the front foot pressure, don’t take off do much angle you loose front foot pressure.

The reduced angle will increase speed, 30 Kts is a good speed to aim for on that foil.

What 15m kite are you using?

MaximumAC
Medium Poster

Postby MaximumAC » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:03 pm

Thanks guys, this is exactly the kind of food for thought i'm looking for. Will adjust stab slightly and work on locking out rear knee. Might try to add a read strap as well.

I'm currently flying 12m Soul and 15m Pulsion UL with this foil. I recognize that these aren't race kites and am hoping to slowly build an R1V2 quiver, but it's what i've got for now. I also have a 15m Speed3 but I generally avoid it because it's so much heavier than the pulsion.

tkaraszewski
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Moses/F-One/Flysurfer mostly

Postby tkaraszewski » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:50 pm

I think a lot of this is technique. I can do 23 knots pretty easily on a 10m Soul and a surf wing in similar wind to what you’re talking about on a race foil and 15m, and I’m not really particularly fast. I’ve gotten faster just by practicing and riding around with faster riders. Find the fastest guys you know and talk to them and try to keep up with them and you’ll slowly find yourself hitting higher speeds.

MaximumAC
Medium Poster

Postby MaximumAC » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:42 pm

Indeed, I’m certain that it’s mostly technique. I have also managed about 20 knots on my surf foil. I don’t often kite with other folks let alone non freeride/surf, so I’m left to seek advice online, watch videos, and I’m hoping to travel to some regattas later this season. Would like to put on a not completely awful show though....

BlindRider
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Style: Hydrofoil, airstyle
Gear: Moses Havok foil, Kitech Free RS 18-12-9, Flysurfer Radical 5 XL&L

Postby BlindRider » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:19 pm

I recently started doing downwind speedruns with a proper garmin gps watch, and analyze my data. Its very interesting :). I ride a race foil (Moses Havok) with a race foilboard, and a freeride foilkite (Kitech FRS in 18&12), on quite choppy lake conditions.

I am comfortable until about 25-26 knots. After that, if i push it very hard, I can reach 29-30 knots max speed, but:
- i'm not sure about the body position,
- how bent my legs should be (I dont think a fully locked knee is a good idea, I don't see the pros riding like that, and it feels really unstable),
- if i should lean back with my upper body (I see Nico Parlier riding this style in competitions on the downwind leg) or be bent over forward a bit,
- how tilted the board should be,
- how sheeted in the bar should be,
- does the kite need to be super low down to the water or not?

Tons of questions :roll:

And there really is a world of difference between 30 and 35 knots and beyond. I'm really curious what makes the difference - of course, riding, training is inevitable, but with the right advice from someone who regularly rides very fast, the learning curve should become shorter and easier.

Anyone knows the right technique? :naughty:

Return to “Hydrofoil”