A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
DRAZ99
Rare Poster
Gear: OR
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Armstrong Foils

Postby DRAZ99 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:02 pm

I'm considering an Armstrong foil CF800+1200 wing. I like everything about the setup but am concerned about the 85cm mast.

Do you think it is long enough?

Coming from a 100cm at the moment.

No way to try it locally, may get the chance to try a Moses but that's about it.
These users thanked the author DRAZ99 for the post:
hudstur (Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:16 am)
Rating: 3.03%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Re: Armstrong Foils

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:08 pm

Went from 91 cm down to 81 and think that you would find it really different. You might love it. I do. You might hate it.

If your already riding low and carving any and all swell then it might be the right move.

If you like hauling ass and powering up, don't do it.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:47 pm

Anyone try the foil?, interested in one but haven’t had a chance to.

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii

Postby joekitetime » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:07 pm

I considered switching to Armstrong. Couldn't demo but watched others from the beach (stitches, had to stay out of water). From my research the consensus is excellent built quality, slow and comfortable surf ride. While getting quotes the rep said he'd upgrade me to the longer mast for free. They are also about to come out with another front wing, 1550 if I remember correctly.

I'd only say if you do it get the longer mast! Its out there!

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:23 pm

I have em all. These foils are specially made for surf foiling and lesser for kite foiling. If you are more in to kiting, I would recommend the MFC kit. The Armstrong quality is top top notch and the ride is incredibly smooth. The wing will explode though if you even breach just a little bit and as mentioned above already the foil is on the slower side. Its glide is incredible and the turning sharp and precise and the kit you are getting with the wing covers and and and, is second to none. It really depends what style of riding you are doing. Let me know some details and I may be able to point you in the right direction.
These users thanked the author Kitemanmuc for the post (total 2):
jespin4845 (Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:15 pm) • hudstur (Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:16 am)
Rating: 6.06%

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:35 pm

I havent tried any armstrong foils. But personally i have 90cm and want to go longer. Its sweet small swell/chop combo. But big seas when there is hell chop/swell its too easy to breach a wing at 90cm.

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:15 pm

Kitemanmuc wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:23 pm
I have em all. These foils are specially made for surf foiling and lesser for kite foiling. If you are more in to kiting, I would recommend the MFC kit. The Armstrong quality is top top notch and the ride is incredibly smooth. The wing will explode though if you even breach just a little bit and as mentioned above already the foil is on the slower side. Its glide is incredible and the turning sharp and precise and the kit you are getting with the wing covers and and and, is second to none. It really depends what style of riding you are doing. Let me know some details and I may be able to point you in the right direction.
thanks for the info...currently i have a gofoil kai/iwa 1.0

i had a moses 633 in 91 and 71 also, and while that foil was great i prefer the gofoil in the waves, hence looking for a second foil after i sold the moses

the gofoil annoys me that i have to buy another mast and ect. for the other wings, armstrong is nice that you can get a plate mount and still use a 2400 wing...gofoil after the iwa its a tuttle mount, and with the tuttle plate adapter its more and more weight

71cm is great for slacking the lines and surfing the waves but with my strapless freestyle progressing i want a 80ish cm, 90 is too long, for surfing the waves, kiting with constant line tension...then it doesn't matter how long the mast is :lol:

was looking at the armstrong with 85cm or a lift 170 with 32" mast....the MFC is coming out with a 80ish mast but I've heard of problems with those...

everyone talks about how great the armstrong is built thou, so thats good!
These users thanked the author jespin4845 for the post:

hudstur
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Delray Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Lighthouse Point, FL
Favorite Beaches: Delray Beach, FL
Hood River, OR
Floras Lake, OR
Cape Hatteras, NC
Napeague, NY
Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.
Been thanked: 0

Postby hudstur » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:10 am

I have had the Cabrinha Double Agent, LF Happy Foil, Lift and Moses 633/483 71/91cm masts. Sold em all and looking for somewhere to buy the Armstrong 800/1200 wings, 85cm mast, and 3’11” board. Saw the Armstrong, not demo’d yet, and it is well built. Heard a guy in Fiji stuck it in a reef, pryed it out and no damage. Just got tired of having to be so careful with other carbon fiber delicate foils. Please keep this thread alive so we can get more feedback.

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kitemanmuc » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:14 am

hudstur wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:10 am
I have had the Cabrinha Double Agent, LF Happy Foil, Lift and Moses 633/483 71/91cm masts. Sold em all and looking for somewhere to buy the Armstrong 800/1200 wings, 85cm mast, and 3’11” board. Saw the Armstrong, not demo’d yet, and it is well built. Heard a guy in Fiji stuck it in a reef, pryed it out and no damage. Just got tired of having to be so careful with other carbon fiber delicate foils. Please keep this thread alive so we can get more feedback.
Cabrinha and LF are total garbage. Moses is great for variety. I love my 550 wing. It’s my go to on windy days. The Lift 170 is a great foil. Reminds me of a 633 but with more speed and nimbleness. The Armstrong is a different animal. It’s a great foil. Bomb proof. But as mentioned before I would gear it more towards surf foiling rather than kite. The MFC and the Armstrong are VERY similar but I would say the MFC is a little better in the kiting discipline vs Armstrong but Armstrong has its nose ahead in the surf department.

Another great foil not to forget it Delta. Probably the best bank for your buck.

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kitemanmuc » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:15 am

DRAZ99 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:02 pm
I'm considering an Armstrong foil CF800+1200 wing. I like everything about the setup but am concerned about the 85cm mast.

Do you think it is long enough?

Coming from a 100cm at the moment.

No way to try it locally, may get the chance to try a Moses but that's about it.
If it’s for strapless the 85 will be plenty

Return to “Hydrofoil”