Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

No endless summer - drysuit or wetsuit for foiling?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Habo Ljung, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards 5-0
TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 90,105,110cm
Moses Fluente 550/590 + 330/325 and 633 se
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: No endless summer - drysuit or wetsuit for foiling?

Postby TomW » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:18 pm

If you cut a hole in a drysuit, it will fill with water and you will be sea anchor.
Xcel drylock 5-6 with integrated hood and 7mm drylock boots will be toasty warm in 6c air and water. You will not get windchill.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Has thanked: 0

Postby cwood » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:35 pm

TomW wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:18 pm
If you cut a hole in a drysuit, it will fill with water and you will be sea anchor.
Xcel drylock 5-6 with integrated hood and 7mm drylock boots will be toasty warm in 6c air and water. You will not get windchill.
the hole and sea anchor thing is actually a myth....but it is damn nasty uncomfortable and a fast path to hypothermia. In the case of the Xcel, the water and neoprene work together and that is just a more natural solution in my mind. From a comfort perspective, people think fleece inside of a drysuit is more warm feeling but I find the opposite, the cold telegraphs more readily to your skin....and if you get drips and leaks it just all feels nasty. In the wetsuit you are steamy warm from the start and stay that way especially with the second neoprene jacket.

20kts
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Cherry Beach
Favorite Beaches: Anything I can use a long mast on
Style: Foil Freeride - TT when I have to
Gear: Nobile Zen Split Foil / Cabrinha 8,10,12m Switchblade, 15m Contra
Been thanked: 0

Postby 20kts » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:53 pm

I'm in Toronto and yes - more wetsuits than drysuits when it gets cold.

FWIW - I learned to foil last fall in a drysuit and quite liked it (OR soul)

Wore a fleece layer underneath and then a fleece jacket over that when needed another layer. Was fine through mid December and then again in late March as soon as the ice went out. Swimming is harder than a wetsuit but that warms you up. I crashed a lot and because you have mitts and boots those seals didn't leak for me. I got a bit of water around the neck, but not much more than a nuisance amount. Stayed closer to shore that time of year. You still need to stay within your limits when it is cold in general.

Our Kite Life guys did a couple of good YouTube videos on the topic.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:05 pm

Have done both wet and dry and understand the want for better wind resistance, but the "I want to just get out and drive home dry" argument doesn't really work that way in the real world.

For one, I don't really kite in crappy cold weather. If I'm gonna go kiteboarding in 6 C weather, it better be sunny and windy. On any of the good days at the beach, I'm a steaming stoked out rider happy to change as per usual into my dry duds for the drive home. Might go in less than sunny conditions near home, but around here I just throw a light sweatshirt and pants over the suit for the 10 min drive to a hot shower. No, if I'm driving to the beach where I'm gonna change out of the wetsuit after, it better be sunny. If its not raining and above 5 C I do't even notice the temp while getting into dry clothes using a hooded change towel as per usual. I don't kite down below 4 C. Tips of wet noses and ears and cheeks freeze too easily in the windchill.

Secondly I've always sweat myself damp in a drysuit. I've ha two and they were both fully breathable materials, but that really only works when they're dry. Out in the water, your sweating and its not really venting much. Sometimes your crashing hard enough to get a little ingress to the calves, chest or forearms. Driving home with wet cuffs in the same damp under layer is no good and I far prefer getting into proper dry clothes as soon as I'm decidedly off the water.

just like pumping up an LEI is IMHO worth the PITA for the sport I wanna do, Getting into a wetsuit in a car seat is just one of those things I put up with willingly to go shred some gnar.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Habo Ljung, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards 5-0
TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 90,105,110cm
Moses Fluente 550/590 + 330/325 and 633 se
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:44 pm

cwood wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:35 pm
TomW wrote:
the hole and sea anchor thing is actually a myth....but it is damn nasty uncomfortable and a fast path to hypothermia. In the case of the Xcel, the water and neoprene work together and that is just a more natural solution in my mind. From a comfort perspective, people think fleece inside of a drysuit is more warm feeling but I find the opposite, the cold telegraphs more readily to your skin....and if you get drips and leaks it just all feels nasty. In the wetsuit you are steamy warm from the start and stay that way especially with the second neoprene jacket.
Cwood- interesting its a myth- but dont want to go out and test it, ill take your work for it !Only experience i had was a drysuit i had and forgot to close the zipper. Legs filled with water in a fall, but it wasnt much.

Xcel fleece and the hokus-pokus lining fabric they market is working for me. I´m surprised actually, it sounds like BS. I used to freeze my hands in 3c. Until i cant feel my fingers and they hurt for a time after kiting. Now i have 3mm gloves and i stay fairly warm for 60min. I attribute this to my core being so warm.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Has thanked: 0

Postby cwood » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:50 pm

TomW wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:44 pm
cwood wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:35 pm
TomW wrote:
Cwood- interesting its a myth- but dont want to go out and test it, ill take your work for it !Only experience i had was a drysuit i had and forgot to close the zipper. Legs filled with water in a fall, but it wasnt much.

Xcel fleece and the hokus-pokus lining fabric they market is working for me. I´m surprised actually, it sounds like BS. I used to freeze my hands in 3c. Until i cant feel my fingers and they hurt for a time after kiting. Now i have 3mm gloves and i stay fairly warm for 60min. I attribute this to my core being so warm.
I actually had nerve damage in one hands fingers from getting them so cold in water as to cause damage. They came back after 3 months....nerves re-grow but slowly.

One thing that is very helpful when fingers get cold is to windmill your arms to drive warm blood down into fingers. Try it, works really well.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:54 pm

wavy navy wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:17 pm
Hi,
does anyone has experience with both wetsuit and drysuit in last winter?

I like to crash a lot, so I swim a lot. Air temperature let's say 6 degrees celsius and water temperature is the same. What do you prefer, as in foiling you move less on the board and so one's getting colder earlier in the session?
Drysuit is fine wetsuit is fine. Because you get pretty far out on a foil, I would always put a 2mm neoprene shirt on under the drysuit that way if you get a puncture you still have plenty of thermal protection.

If you want to stay warm and feel safe can't beat drysuit + neoprene + fleece. Why settle for less, as the advertisements say.

Return to “Hydrofoil”