Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

No endless summer - drysuit or wetsuit for foiling?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1963
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:18 pm
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: No endless summer - drysuit or wetsuit for foiling?

Postby matth » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:29 pm

Windigo1 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:24 am
I wear a wetsuit until about mid October here in Canada an then a drysuit until it freezes over. The drysuit is much warmer you can layer as much as you want. It's nice to change back too you just put your jeans back on you don't have to undress. Go with a drysuit with integrated socks it's much warmer and more watertight.

How do you find the socks work with your booties???? I would like to go with socks but never have because of this concern.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 721
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:01 pm
Favorite Beaches: long bay tci
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: No endless summer - drysuit or wetsuit for foiling?

Postby elguapo » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:51 pm

matth wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:29 pm
Windigo1 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:24 am
I wear a wetsuit until about mid October here in Canada an then a drysuit until it freezes over. The drysuit is much warmer you can layer as much as you want. It's nice to change back too you just put your jeans back on you don't have to undress. Go with a drysuit with integrated socks it's much warmer and more watertight.

How do you find the socks work with your booties???? I would like to go with socks but never have because of this concern.
the 'integrated socks' are attached to dryuits...

Image

you can wear whatever socks on your feet you wanna(i dont generally need)...

i wear a pair a tom's type slips on outside of drysuit sock (protection from rocks...but easy to take on/off)

Image

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:53 pm
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: No endless summer - drysuit or wetsuit for foiling?

Postby PurdyKiter » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:15 pm

matth wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:27 pm
Drysuits are great IMO but if you are still crashing often you will get some water in the suit. The key to drysuits is to layer up with wicking fleece that almost works like neoprene when wet. I think the odds of cutting the suit are slim, gortex is a very tough fabric and most suit have double layers in most areas.
I have an older ION drysuit which is constructed of 3mil closed cell neoprene. This has made it still seem warm after some leaks I've had in 45 degree water, 45 degree air. Down-side is that it's a bulkier suit.
My compelling reasoning with a drysuit is all about the evaporative effects. This occurs while de-rigigng, while racing the the (small) car to change, but can also out on the foil. With a wetsuit I'm almost always chattering cold by the time I've changed into my street clothes for the drive home. Never an issue with my drysuit.
These users thanked the author PurdyKiter for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:22 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1963
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:18 pm
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: No endless summer - drysuit or wetsuit for foiling?

Postby matth » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:54 pm

elguapo wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:51 pm
matth wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:29 pm
Windigo1 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:24 am
I wear a wetsuit until about mid October here in Canada an then a drysuit until it freezes over. The drysuit is much warmer you can layer as much as you want. It's nice to change back too you just put your jeans back on you don't have to undress. Go with a drysuit with integrated socks it's much warmer and more watertight.

How do you find the socks work with your booties???? I would like to go with socks but never have because of this concern.
the 'integrated socks' are attached to dryuits...

Image

you can wear whatever socks on your feet you wanna(i dont generally need)...

i wear a pair a tom's type slips on outside of drysuit sock (protection from rocks...but easy to take on/off)

Image
So you don't wear a water bootie over the goretex drysock???

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 721
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:01 pm
Favorite Beaches: long bay tci
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: No endless summer - drysuit or wetsuit for foiling?

Postby elguapo » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:13 pm

no..
too hard to get (on) off. (and not needed)



i just rode a foil last time i was in cold water..
i just wanted something cheap....and easy to put on or off...and would protect my sensitive feet (and the sock material) from rocks as i walk out

when cold i just wanna shed everything off in one motion...hop in my car and go.

i literally only bought those shoes cause they were $7 USD and amazon could deliver next day
.. any slip style shoe wouldve worked

Whattheflock
Medium Poster
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:23 pm
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Secret.
Favorite Beaches: Open beaches.
Style: Strapless Foil
Gear: 7m prodigy, 10m flite, Moses DC 3'6" and 633/483/91cm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: No endless summer - drysuit or wetsuit for foiling?

Postby Whattheflock » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:53 am

I love my OR drysuit.. My boots come up over the seals and the suit extends down kinda far, enough I don't worry about my foil hitting it. There's a small chance though. Peeling off a dry suit and being nice and dry and warm makes it well worth it.

br44
Medium Poster
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:07 am
Gear: LEIs, foils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: No endless summer - drysuit or wetsuit for foiling?

Postby br44 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:19 am

PurdyKiter wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:15 pm
My compelling reasoning with a drysuit is all about the evaporative effects. This occurs while de-rigigng, while racing the the (small) car to change, but can also out on the foil. With a wetsuit I'm almost always chattering cold by the time I've changed into my street clothes for the drive home. Never an issue with my drysuit.
Why change into regular clothes for the drive home? Unless it’s warm outside, I usually take off my wetsuit in the garage, or even shower — not at the beach.

Huib
Medium Poster
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:23 pm
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Wave, Ketos Foil, Cloud D2E 8 + 6.2 + 4.8+ 3.7, 2.8, 2.2
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Rotterdam
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 21 times
Contact:

Re: No endless summer - drysuit or wetsuit for foiling?

Postby Huib » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:52 am

I have a 7/6mm hooded wetsuit and a OR drysuit. A drysuit is warmer on the foil because you have less windchill and is easier with changing clothes.
But I don't wear the drysuit on the foil.
The risk of cutting the drysuit with a wing is to big!
These users thanked the author Huib for the post:
Peter_Frank (Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:02 am)
Rating: 8.33%

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 721
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:01 pm
Favorite Beaches: long bay tci
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: No endless summer - drysuit or wetsuit for foiling?

Postby elguapo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:59 pm

Huib wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:52 am
I have a 7/6mm hooded wetsuit and a OR drysuit. A drysuit is warmer on the foil because you have less windchill and is easier with changing clothes.
But I don't wear the drysuit on the foil.
The risk of cutting the drysuit with a wing is to big!


(knock on wood) but i'm failing to see how cutting yourself on a foil would be an issue... (just dont kick the foil...and jump way from foil when learning)
do you guys cut yourself often wearing boardshorts too?
(and how?)




on the kayak/kokatat drysuits... there is extra abrasion resistance on arms & legs and there is a "stay dry" warranty/repair service.
https://kokatat.com/support/warranty-repairs

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:28 pm
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: No endless summer - drysuit or wetsuit for foiling?

Postby cwood » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:28 pm

Up in Toronto we have all gone pretty much to 6/5 Excel hooded wet suits with a neprene over sweatshirt/jacket. Way warmer than drysuits, no leakage worries, no baggyness. Toasty warm to 0 degrees C. The limiting factor is hands, you have to go mitts as gloves just cannot work at those temps. Feet are not an issue for whatever reason. The overcoat in neoprene is key for core temps.

We have all done the best OR and Mystic dry suits.....they are nice but don't compare to a well fitted thick wetsuit.
These users thanked the author cwood for the post (total 2):
jumptheshark (Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:59 pm) • br44 (Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:56 am)
Rating: 16.67%


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests