Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Spot X
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Naish, Firewire, Duotone, Lift
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foilers - do you still "surf" surf?

Postby riddim1 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:50 pm

I’ve only been kitefoiling for around 4 years, prior to that I was almost exclusively Kitesurfing with a SB for 10-ish years. I would use a SB in anything from bad to average to excellent wave riding condition. The foil makes the bad and average conditions in the waves actually really good, and in much lighter conditions.
I still prefer kitesurfing on a SB when conditions are perfect for wave riding. For me, this is 25kts+ open ocean. This may only be 4-5 times a year though :( Nothing beats knocking the top off a wave or smashing it to bits :D

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foilers - do you still "surf" surf?

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:21 am

tomtom wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:53 pm
dont you have wobble ankles on SB after HF? I always do and it takes me like 10 minutes to adjust. SB to HF no problem. HF to SB always wobble ankles - like speed wobble on skateboard...
Yes, sometimes I do, thanks for mentioning that, guess I’m not the only one that gets the ankle wobbles for a few minutes. Today I also laughed as myself because when switching from HF to SB in 25mph condition after I blew a jibe, in deep water I found myself trying not to kick underneath the surfboard when getting lined up to water start again. I unconsciously think there’s a mast & foil there I want to avoid kicking.
:lol:

Return to “Hydrofoil”