Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foilers - do you still "surf" surf?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator
Brand Affiliation: None

Foilers - do you still "surf" surf?

Postby pikovsg » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:27 am

I'm a proficient foiler and love foiling waves. My friend, both a proficient foiler and surfer, is trying to convince me to keep trying the surfboard. I have a good surfboard, but every time I go out with it it just feels like a step back from foiling. Foiling waves feels a lot smoother, more exciting, more nimble and I can get a lot more waves without worrying about ending up downwind.

So, to those of you who kite foilsurf and kitesurf (or used to surf) – do you still like the surfboard after foiling?
Last edited by pikovsg on Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: Foilers - do you still "surf" surf?

Postby jakemoore » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:18 am

I would say if windsurfers are out I use a surfboard 1/4. I definitely don’t want to use a 9m kite If I can use a 3 or 4.

Has a nice surfboard session the other day. 6m conditions. Windsurfers were out. Mostly 4-6 feet but there was an occasional set at mast and a half. I creased my board. It was fun.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:03 am

Assume you dont mean surf, but kitesurf(board) :D

Definitely, hitting the steep closing lip hard with huge spray, almost nothing beats that :thumb:

Major difference is, I dont drive for hours and hours to get wind and waves that often nomore, but wait till almost perfect conditions locally or semilocally (within 3/4 of an hours drive we can find waves in all 360 degree wind directions here).
And dont ride waves with big kites 8 and 9 m2 nomore, hardly did that before either as almost a waste of time because going DTL dont work that well - but there could be glassy waves with low winds where you do on occasion.
Here a foil is usually a lot more fun though.

So yes, ride kitesurfboards in good waves, quite sideshore wind, and 4-5-6-7 max 8 m2 kites.

Otherwise it is foiling.

Meaning 1 out of 5 sometimes maybe only 1 out of 10 sessions is on a kitesurfboard, but loving it because it is so different.
Not sure I would if possible to do half of the sessions, think it would be boring - but I dont know... :roll:

The difference for me has been, earlier before foiling it was bump and jump fun on freeride raceboards with bigger kites in low wind.
Then foiling came, and raceboards and similar got extinct/abandoned immediately, but did not influence kitesurfboarding that much for starters.
It did not take long though, till foiling in small or bigger waves got possible (with more experience that is) and was awesome, so from now the 9 m2 kitesurfboard sessions died totally, as you could ride with a 5 or 6 m2 on a hydrofoil.

8) Peter

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:19 am

love to foil in waves when its less then "perfect" however when its 8m wind (or less) and the waves shape up nicely, nothing beats SB for me...

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Taiba, Brasil

love to foil in waves when its less then "perfect" however when its 8m wind (or less) and the waves shape up nicely, nothing beats SB for me...

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Taiba, Brasil

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:07 pm

Are you talking about paddle surfing? If so no I fo not
There's no where enough fun per hour with paddle surfing.

Paddle surfing is like waiting at a bus stop for the party bus. The part bus rolles around every 5 minutes. But you can only get on one at a time and wait your turn

The after 20 mins Iog wsiting in line you jump on the party Bus. Sure it's fun for 30 seconds but then you have to get off at the next stop and proceed to run back to the previous bus stop to try and catch the next 39 seconds of fun in 20 mins time....

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:29 pm

plummet wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:07 pm
Are you talking about paddle surfing? If so no I fo not
There's no where enough fun per hour with paddle surfing.

Paddle surfing is like waiting at a bus stop for the party bus. The part bus rolles around every 5 minutes. But you can only get on one at a time and wait your turn

The after 20 mins Iog wsiting in line you jump on the party Bus. Sure it's fun for 30 seconds but then you have to get off at the next stop and proceed to run back to the previous bus stop to try and catch the next 39 seconds of fun in 20 mins time....

Was also uncertain at first, but pretty sure he means kitesurfboards, and not surfboards (paddlesurf), as he writes "without worrying about ending up downwind".

8) Peter

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:56 pm

pikovsg wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:27 am
I'm a proficient foiler and love foiling waves. My friend, both a proficient foiler and surfer, is trying to convince me to keep trying the surfboard. I have a good surfboard, but every time I go out with it it just feels like a step back from foiling. Foiling waves feels a lot smoother, more exciting, more nimble and I can get a lot more waves without worrying about ending up downwind.

So, to those of you who foil and surf (or used to surf) – do you still like the surfboard after foiling?

Assuming you are talking about Jeremy, he has shredding the waves yesterday on his foil, not enough wind for surfboard. I thought it was you at first, you both are very good.
On the foil it looks like there is more focus on riding the swell, where on the surfboard it's more about getting on the wave face and working the board with top and bottom turns down the line.
Both look awesome but seems to me to be a little different....just my 2 cents..

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:30 pm

Foils will never off the lip and drop straight down the face.....nothing compares to real surfing in my mind....
These users thanked the author NYKiter for the post:
jonysan (Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:04 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”