Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Assateague, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Mauritania
Style: Free Style
Gear: Slingshot, Crazyfly, RE, Ocean Rodeo, Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: None

Fastest Foil Combo (To beat AC 75)

Postby Iridian » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:16 am

Let's say that hypothetically I wanted to flex on the tens of millions of dollar America's Cup Monofoilers with the obvious superiority of kiteboarding.

What's the ultimate kite + foil combination for speed? Chubanga + R1 v2?

gbrungra
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide

Re: Fastest Foil Combo (To beat AC 75)

Postby gbrungra » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:42 am

Top speed?
Upwind VMG?
Downwind VMG?

Are you looking for a GPS speed number, to to beat the AC boats around the racecourse?

Pierrot
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 80
Gear: Aluula Roam 10m, North neo 10m, 7m, 5m
Hydrofoil Ketos,

Postby Pierrot » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:33 pm

https://www.facebook.com/12523294647834 ... 75?sfns=mo
You might have seen this video... Alex Caizergues : kite speed record holder against the former AC boat used in sailing GP.
The kite seems to be out performed quickly... These boats are maintaining speeds in the 30-40 knts with top speeds close to 50 knts.

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:04 pm

Pierrot wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:33 pm
https://www.facebook.com/12523294647834 ... 75?sfns=mo
You might have seen this video... Alex Caizergues : kite speed record holder against the former AC boat used in sailing GP.
The kite seems to be out performed quickly... These boats are maintaining speeds in the 30-40 knts with top speeds close to 50 knts.
Yep, speed in kitefoil is finally limited to the forces that can be excerted by the weakest link (us), nothing to do against a completelly rigid structure made out of Carbon Fiber.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:51 pm

choose favorable conditions. let's say present a challenge with large waves and 30+ knots of wind on a beam reach :D
These users thanked the author airsurfer for the post:
jakemoore (Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:51 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

bigcane
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby bigcane » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:54 pm

In the video it seems to be a drag race on a reach or broad reach where the top speeds of the AC cats is definitely higher. However I am much more interested in the performance around a windward leeward course where VMG is the key. The AC cats don’t seem to have great angles upwind whereas the best kite foilers are doing 22+ knots at 42 degrees or better. So I would love to see a matchup around a W/L racecourse in varied wind conditions and sea states.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:19 pm

a chubanga2 flying a well powered soul

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:23 pm

Iridian wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:16 am
tens of millions of dollar America's Cup Monofoilers

Ha! You're cute... ;-)

I think the top open-class foil racing gear is as close as anyone has right now, so whatever combination you go with I'd just look at Nico P, Maxime, Axel, Olly, etc. and then whatever they're riding is probably your answer. I'm not aware of any gear being made that is more performative than that stuff, regardless of how you were to stage the race. If the goal is to go out in Newport Harbor and be able to hold your own against the test boat I'd get a Chubanga V2 or Mike's Lab and a Sonic VMG or R1V3 (2) and then just hope you line up against them when the conditions aren't ideal for them and are for you. It's highly unlikely that any kiteracing gear is going to make a dent in these new boats, if they've done their job right this generation should be appreciably faster than the previous generation catamarans.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:32 pm

Around a course, my guess would be it depends on how small/big the course is.
How many transitions as kitefoil a lot faster because of radius alone I would say.

Apart from a difference which is the fastest in what wind and maybe maybe not surface conditions also - but I dont know how it correlates...

8) Peter

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:05 pm

Iridian wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:16 am
Let's say that hypothetically I wanted to flex on the tens of millions of dollar America's Cup Monofoilers with the obvious superiority of kiteboarding.

What's the ultimate kite + foil combination for speed? Chubanga + R1 v2?
Those boats are hard to beat with a kite. They are tuned to go really fast in about 12-15 knots of wind. Not as good below 10 knots because on an upwind tack they can no longer get on their foils and when the wind is above around 20 knots they reach their max speed. There's a certain speed for those boats where if they go any faster, the entire boat will explode in a shower of carbon fiber dust. If they hold 45 knots for too long they will explode. However, top speed right now for kites is somewhere around 40 knots, I'm not sure if that's due to gear limitations or race limits. Probably the best chance to beat them is an upwind downwind course in less than 8 knots but honestly nobody wants to see a race in that light of wind. You could hold the race in 30 knots of wind, they would just forfeit because their boat would get knocked down. Both the AC boats and kite racers use about the same size course, around 2-3 nautical miles.

Short answer, you aren't going to beat the AC75 with our current gear in a standard race. Give it another 10 years to develop tho, because race manufacturers are still making advances every year. There was way more money thrown at R&D with the AC boats than there has been with kite gear. If they gave us a half billion dollars for R&D I think we could make some ridiculously fast kites.

Hydrofoil kite racing tho is already so fast that it scares the heck out of me. Props to the guys who are racing.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
Peter_Frank (Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:38 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”