Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Re: is it that easy to splice my own lines, SK99 600kg or-

Postby nixmatters » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:18 am

OzBungy wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:00 am
It can be difficult or expensive to buy line in different colors if you want to color code left/right/front pigtails. I make mine in grey dyneema then wrap some colored ribbon around the pig tail and sew it into place. That works well.

I also use it to finish the ends of depower lines to avoid fraying. Grosgrain ribbon is best, but I mostly raid the mrs scrap ribbon box for anything with a suitable color.
Why bother making your own pigtails if they cost 15-20 bucks for a set of 4?!

It is difficult to make your steer lines in different colours, as they are surely from different coating/pre-stretching batches if not braiding batches too.

Even if you measure/cut them loaded with same weight, you may end up with slightly different lengths as they might shrink differently. And then you'd need adjustable pigtails, which is a way around it.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:09 pm

nixmatters wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:18 am

Why bother making your own pigtails if they cost 15-20 bucks for a set of 4?!

I've got a fair amount of 3mm dyneema. It takes not much time at all to custom make a set of pigtails. I enjoy doing that stuff.

The dyneema usually costs nothing because it is left over from other projects. Even if I bought it specially it would barely cost $5.

I make them the correct length. I don't need any knots or adjustment on the pigtails. Everything is clean and neat. I love having clean simple high quality gear that works really well.

faklord
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby faklord » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:25 pm

merl wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:39 pm
D-splicer scissors cost a lot - €50+ - seems like a lot for stainless steel.

I find that ceramic knives from a dollar store to be great. They don't last for so long but when newish they cut dyneema beautifully, and you can buy a stack of them for 50€...

Faklord: nice tip - you just sharpen the scissor blades in the obvious way or are you doing something funky?
Nothing ‘funky’. I just clamp the blade in a vice and pass the ‘stone’ over the cutting edge, approx keeping the original angle. I don’t touch the faces of the blades that slide over one another.

Return to “Hydrofoil”