Getting past ocean breakers

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Getting past ocean breakers

Postby SpaceRacer » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:51 pm

Hi, my beach in NJ has sandbars so at low tide, getting past breakers can be tricky. Do most of you prefer to keep your board on your feet, i.e. ride whenever possible or plow through or do you body drag foil up? Trying to figure out the best tips or tricks with this without slicing off my arm. My best idea was to fashion an elbow pad with built up padding in the crook of the arm but even if it works then I’m stuck with the cumbersome thing out in the water. Any tips, tricks, advice would be appreciated. SR

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Re: Getting past ocean breakers

Postby edt » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:04 pm

When it's light wind and big break it's rough. Sorry I got no tricks also waiting to see what others have to say.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby slowboat » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:29 pm

If not deep enough to ride, I body drag out in the standard way. Helps to have a strap or hook to grab. I take a beating sometimes and get pushed back but with persistence that gap between breakers eventually appears long enough to get out.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet

Postby pj sofine » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:38 pm

Onshore wind/waves. The only thing I've learned in my few attempts is to make sure I'm wearing my long suit. The trip to the er cost me 3 hrs to get stitched up. :o

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.

Postby jakemoore » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:50 pm

A wing and mast with sharp edge probably aren’t a great choice.

You have to get deep enough to ride even in the troughs of the wave. I usually drag past our second sandbar. A shorter mast helps. I mostly ride 70cm.

Don’t be afraid if the board touches down or even enters the whitewater.

Don’t try to angle the board up as you go over a wave, keep it level.

Go around anything big even if it means going downwind. You will make it up past the break. It might take me a mile to get out on some days.

I try to body drag with the foil on the upwind side in the air like this: (hold the board close to your chest firmly!)
F9E8BDB4-6453-4F24-A57A-10BA4BB95E29.jpeg

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Habo Ljung, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards 5-0
TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 90,105,110cm
Moses Fluente 550/590 + 330/325 and 633 se
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:12 pm

In anything sideshore I body drag out board upwind on side with mast horizontal upwind. Keep the nose pointing out at waves. In more onshore, I have board downwind horizontal.
As soon as I have depth, even just chest high, I'll get up between sets and ride out. Riding out is always easier.
My experience is not in big waves but messy breaks on sand bottoms, with waves breaking in large zone off the beach up to a meter high.

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby SpaceRacer » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:18 pm

Ah. Very helpful so far. Glad to know I am not the only one to attempt this. Keeping the board pinned to chest with mast pointed into wind sounds much better than wing straight up. I almost sliced off my thumb last year at this time. Thanks!

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: 2016 North Mono 12m, 2017 Naish Dash 10 & 8, 2018 Naish Slash 6 & 9, Firewire Vader, 5'2, 2017 F-One Acid, 2017 Sroka Freeride Foil

Postby Strekke » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:10 pm

Onshore light wind with waves/shore break is always a mission. As mentioned a short mast will get you going less far out so less body dragging. Another useful tip is to ride a big surf wing with loads of lift that pops up on the foil immediately - if you have only a few seconds between breaking waves it can make the difference. Send the kite and pop up immediately, and you can point upwind quickly to just slice through the next incoming wave instead of being pushed back to shore and starting again from 0.

jatem
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket 1m Foil
Flysurfer Peak4 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m
Flysurfer Soul 10m
Collecting dust - Cabrinha Drifter 5.5m, 8m

Postby jatem » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:59 pm

SpaceRacer wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:18 pm
Ah. Very helpful so far. Glad to know I am not the only one to attempt this. Keeping the board pinned to chest with mast pointed into wind sounds much better than wing straight up. I almost sliced off my thumb last year at this time. Thanks!
I find when I'm holding the board under my arm, body dragging through breaking waves, it is less likely to get lifted up by waves if I hold the board pointed backwards.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:06 pm

I'm breaking through the shore break 100% of my sessions. From small to too dangerous but I do it anyway.

Scan the beach and look for a RIP. Use any rip or small swell spot if the beach to help you get out.
Then watch the sets and time your walk out so you are getting to water start depth during a lull in the sets. That usually means you start the walk out during a big set.

Cross shore is easiest. Look for cross sure locations. Then you can use the kite to power you out. Once at body drag depth I body drag with the foil parallel to the surface pushing it with one arm fully extended. Foil downwind. You can duck dive through smaller whitewash. Say waist high stuff.

As soon as I get to water start depth I send it as fast as possible to get past the breakers.

Onshore light wind is really really hard in heavy swell. As typically water start depth is beyond the point of where you can walk out while holding the foil. Again look for the rip and use it. Practice low water starts. So foil parallel to surface. Be powdered and be able to get up on the foil in one swoop. If you can get up and foiling in lower than mast height you can then hopefully can crank upwind and out of the danger zone.

Have a exit strategy sorted. Often times you have to ditch the foil and get the hell away from it. You dont want to go through the washing machine with a floating axe!
Last edited by plummet on Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hydrofoil”