Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: state of the art wave kite foiling

Postby juandesooka » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:15 pm

slowboat wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:04 am
Looks like a great set up for some nice slow cruising. Must be great fun but that is far from "state of the art wave kite foiling". Need some turns. Turns on waves are easier front side for most people.
Post some videos of this kind of riding. The surf foilers are ripping in waves. But kite foilers I've seen doing turns are nearly always lining up a single turn then riding fast away on the flats and calling it surfing. At least the vids above he is on the wave face for extended time....and being nicely trimmed going down the line on a longboard IS surfing , even if not doing turns. Style and grace are a part of surfing not just "performance"
These users thanked the author juandesooka for the post:
foilholio (Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:50 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:16 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:15 pm
slowboat wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:04 am
Looks like a great set up for some nice slow cruising. Must be great fun but that is far from "state of the art wave kite foiling". Need some turns. Turns on waves are easier front side for most people.
Post some videos of this kind of riding. The surf foilers are ripping in waves. But kite foilers I've seen doing turns are nearly always lining up a single turn then riding fast away on the flats and calling it surfing. At least the vids above he is on the wave face for extended time....and being nicely trimmed going down the line on a longboard IS surfing , even if not doing turns. Style and grace are a part of surfing not just "performance"

The "thing" with a thread like this, is we will never agree.

Exactly like threads on surfboards, some want to use the wave only, others want to use the kite also.
Just like the beginner getting a "waveride" for the very first time, when he/she rides towards the shore on a wave :thumb:
Doing nothing, but a huge experience when for the first time.

Doesnt matter if a TT or a surfboard or a foil, for this kind of riding, and most or all will find this boring when more experienced.
But this does not make it any less legit, for the riders experience :naughty:

Then some will say you have to use the wave only, thus not going down into the flats, and others will say you gotta link full turns bottom to top either down into the flats, or staying up on the wave - both are fine arts but different.

Personally I like the connecting turns using the kite - thats why we got the kite IMO, not only for pulling us out into the waves.
Others use the kite as a motor to get out, and then they mostly want to let it drift when riding the waves.

Again two completely different styles that both are great in their own ways.

Riding a wave on a kitefoil like this, is what I find great, but thats just me I know:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 2):
juandesooka (Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:19 am) • jumptheshark (Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:38 am)
Rating: 6.06%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:16 am

No its not just you. But i think there is less than 10 people on earth who actually can do this and have condition to do it. Its much harder than carving wind swell /which i do/.
I was there on Flagbeach watching Gunnar doing similar riding and it was totally impossible to me. Its SOTA foil riding + SOTA kite flying at the same time. I was foiling between waves there in directions wind allow me. Gunnar was riding waves in direction he needed to ride waves...

lebast
Rare Poster
Gear: 15 FS Boost, 9,7,5 Naish Pivot, 4 Naish Slash, Ketos 118, Wave Xl, G10 350, 83 Rfx, standard fuselage

Postby lebast » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:54 pm

so cool to see how many different styles there are under the hydrofoil umbrella.

as I and others have said before,it is def. a strength of the hydrofoil platform, making all sorts of different "crappy" conditions more exciting and interesting. exploration days.

I guess that the different "wave" conditions that we encouter at our home spots are one of the reasons, why we see these different styles. Since different wave types favour different riding styles.

For me wave kitefoiling is all about turns and carves (same as Peter). I have not seen any wing/wind-foiling videos in small waves with nice turns and carving, yet. straight line riding, yes. Hopefully we'll see these soon ;). But in places with low wind and nice swelling waves, wingfoils and @Horst Sergio Monofoil unhooked riding will excell (but I don't want to travel to these places, that is the reason why I am foiling in the first place...)

At the moment I enjoy these 16ktn+ on-shore chop days where linking some turns in unformed chopps starts working and the fewer 20ktn+ side onshore days with more defined chop "wave" sections. Sure in some conditions you could ride a standard Surfboard and sometimes I am wondering if I should do so but I have so much more fun all over the place and not just in the crowded shore break area with the foil and to name some more factors: the possibilty to glide threw crappier parts of the wave and keep the momentum up, the more foilable wave availabilty, the fact that you can ride many km's upwind to your wavespot (for me that means no car driving needed just some 100m's by bike)...if turns and carves are no fun with my foil+kite setup I enter the realm of strapless foil freestyle.

look at 14sec nicely riden and captured (this is a problem for a lot of solo foilers, POV doesn't look as impressive) :

looks like fun in the minor stuff (look at the line from 55secs - 1:23 and 2:48 - 3:08)

that is the visual explanation why I get so excited about this (even if it looks super boring to most kiters :lol: )
Last edited by lebast on Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:09 am

lebast wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:54 pm
so cool to see how many different styles there are under the hydrofoil umbrella.

as I and others have said before,it is def. a strength of the hydrofoil platform, making all sorts of different "crappy" conditions more exciting and interesting. exploration days.

I guess that the different "wave" conditions that we encouter at our home spots are one of the reasons, why we see these different styles. Since different wave types favour different riding styles.

For me wave kitefoiling is all about turns and carves (same as Peter). I have not seen any kite/wing/wind-foiling videos in small waves with nice turns and carving, yet. straight line riding, yes. Hopefully we'll see these soon ;). But in places with low wind and nice swelling waves, wingfoils and @Horst Sergio Monofoil unhooked riding will excell (but I don't want to travel to these places, that is the reason why I am foiling in the first place...)

At the moment I enjoy these 16ktn+ on-shore chop days where linking some turns in unformed chopps starts working and the fewer 20ktn+ side onshore days with more defined chop "wave" sections. Sure in some conditions you could ride a standard Surfboard and sometimes I am wondering if I should do so but I have so much more fun all over the place and not just in the crowded shore break area with the foil and to name some more factors: the possibilty to glide threw crappier parts of the wave and keep the momentum up, the more foilable wave availabilty, the fact that you can ride many km's upwind to your wavespot (for me that means no car driving needed just some 100m's by bike)...if turns and carves are no fun with my foil+kite setup I enter the realm of strapless foil freestyle.

look at 14sec nicely riden and captured (this is a problem for a lot of solo foilers, POV doesn't look as impressive) :

looks like fun in the minor stuff (look at the line from 55secs - 1:23 and 2:48 - 3:08)

that is the visual explanation why I get so excited about this (even if it looks super boring to most kiters :lol: )

yup.
thanks for the videos..

i completely forgot seeing Stéphane on a waves were what 'woke' me on the potential of small kite foiling...

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:33 am

Some people liked my wave-riding and some didn't, that's OK. My surfing style has always been more down-the-line than slash-and-hack anyway, and I'm OK with that. The fact that somebody even wants to compare my riding to Gunnar's is flattering, even if it's just to say that his riding is better. :) If I end up doing "longboardy" foiling I can live wit that, this is all for fun, right?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:39 pm

tkaraszewski wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:33 am
Some people liked my wave-riding and some didn't, that's OK. My surfing style has always been more down-the-line than slash-and-hack anyway, and I'm OK with that. The fact that somebody even wants to compare my riding to Gunnar's is flattering, even if it's just to say that his riding is better. :) If I end up doing "longboardy" foiling I can live wit that, this is all for fun, right?

Let me emphasize: I just love your waveriding video tkaraszewski, the most amazing beautiful waves, and looking fun, respect and would love doing it myself at that spot :thumb:

My point earlier was only related to "state of the art wave kite foiling", where we try to describe what the way we like or like to see when kitefoiling in waves, where full turns is a must (for me) :D

Looking good tkaraszewski :naughty:

8) Peter

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:40 pm

I agree with Peter, We will never all agree about what the ideal wave foiling is. But thats a good thing. Roll with your own style, As long as your grinning your winning.
im more tkaraszewski's style. Ripping along a jacking up wave faces is super fun for me. Though little waves don't interesting me. I'll ride them if they are there. But i want to be on bigger lazy swell lines that turn into jacking waves eventually. Like a km long run at a point break...... of yeah that is way more fun for me than playing around close to shore in a average beach break.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:59 pm

tkaraszewski style is more surf than Gunnars, Gunnars vids are great but Gregs the man! Style! Personally I always like to stay on the face, use only the wave and do all my turns there. I would be more impressed with Greg and Gunnar if they stayed on the wave more, but everyone deserves to have their own style and do what they enjoy. They make great vids no matter what they do, so much appreciated they do.

Return to “Hydrofoil”