Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: state of the art wave kite foiling

Postby plummet » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:23 pm

Yes, Well said Lebast.

Wave Kite Foiling will never be paddle surfing. It is so different you might as well compare a monkey and a fish climbing a tree. Sadly I think many paddle surfers get so fixated on trying to make all their other sports feel like paddle surfing that they miss the point of foiling.
main-qimg-b98d152beefb60cbd0cc74ab21e30e0e-c.jpg
main-qimg-b98d152beefb60cbd0cc74ab21e30e0e-c.jpg (52.47 KiB) Viewed 545 times
To some degree, the progression of wavekitefoiling is being limited by this view. Manufacturers are desperately trying to emulate paddle surfing imagery with foils. Just like the core video above.

Personally I find more joy riding as Lebast describes, Blasting on and off the wave face, carving like a longboard skater, riding swell lines for 1-2km out to see into the shore. Why limit myself to the last few hundred meters of jacking up wave? You can feel similar energy and experience awesome swell line carving for km's at a time.

The best days for me have been shitty days for the sb riders. They complain that the conditions look good from a distance but the swell is too lumpy or too lazy. I get out they on the foil and carve km's of swell lines, and crumbling breaking waves. Its great fun. But it is not sensational to watch like paddle surfing decent waves. It's more a participatory sport. Boring to watch but fun to do/feel.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil / Slingshot Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:09 pm

omg wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:25 am
agree with lebast. However, in all honesty, with that wave in the Core video above, who would choose foil over surfboard? :)
I would. But only after spending a solid week of nearly endless wave slashing on a surboard until my body can't take it anymore and my mind has numbed from the repetition of the limited combinations I can come up. And then 1-2 days of powered wave riding and jumping with my mako. And maybe a paipo and skimboard in between, along with another few days of supfoil and prone paddle foil. Oh, and the wingsurf too. After all that, heck, why not kitesurf foil some of those waves too? :naughty: :cool2:

Some of this experimentation is born out of "why not" ... when you do the same thing repeated it gets less fun after a while, so mix it up. If you happen to have a trust fund and live in Maui, then there's roughly 12 hours a day of waves and wind, you probably have to diversify just to stay sane.

Plummett makes the excellent point that you use the craft that works best for the given day. Some of the best rippers I know who are surfboard exclusive, are doing the big slash over and over in really lame surf, and yeah, that spray is impressive, but after seeing it 100 times in a row, it's kind of a <yawn>. Meanwhile that same lame windswell is spawning acres of rolling swells to carve around in on our wind-activated pogo sticks ... and it's fun as. Though sure doesn't look like much, either from the beach a km away or from my gopro with its flattening fisheye.

RichR2
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Airush Ultra 10m, 8m
Airush Wave 6m
Shinn K foil
125cm RR custom
Has thanked: 0

Postby RichR2 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:53 pm

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: cabarete, kanaha
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:27 pm

maybe not the sexiest style.. but i agree 100% on going out beyond a break..and then riding a swell back to shore thru all its phases...
i couldnt even imagine such of thing on anything but a foil.

i may be a big wimp...or a traditionalist.
but i'd rather paddle if theRE is big swell and the offshore wind

anytime the wind is on/side shore i'll be kite foiling...regardless of swell.
Last edited by elguapo on Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:35 pm

Some nice free style moves but I didn’t really see them engage the critical sections of the waves very much.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:00 pm

plummet wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:23 pm

It's more a participatory sport. Boring to watch but fun to do/feel.
That sounds like a summary of foiling in general. To me foiling has always looked a bit ... odd. I think that's true of kite foiling, wind foiling, wing foiling & surf/sup foiling. Fun to do though & a great way to make the most of sub-optimal conditions whether wind or waves. Is foiling going to make sup foiling more popular than surf foiling - as the advantages of foiling seem more obvious with sups than prone boards?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:22 am

RichR2 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:53 pm
That is some sweet riding.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil / Slingshot Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:03 am

Flyboy wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:00 pm
Is foiling going to make sup foiling more popular than surf foiling - as the advantages of foiling seem more obvious with sups than prone boards?
I don't think so. SUP foiling is way easier and there's overall more people doing it, but its quite limited in performance and function compared to surf foil. SUP foilers kinda just stand there, maybe do some slow swooping turns, whereas surf foilers are ripping ... and also beach starting, dock starting, getting multiple waves in row, more air acrobatics, etc. As foiling gets more common generally and more talented surfers take it up, I think surf foiling will probably pass sup foiling in popularity.

[speaking for myself, I have been sup foiling 2 seasons now, I think I am solid intermediate, buddy is in first season surf foiling, and after every session he is all everyone on the beach is talking about ... sup foils, and sups generally, don't get no respect :roll: :lol: ]

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:33 am

juandesooka wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:03 am
Flyboy wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:00 pm
Is foiling going to make sup foiling more popular than surf foiling - as the advantages of foiling seem more obvious with sups than prone boards?
I don't think so. SUP foiling is way easier and there's overall more people doing it, but its quite limited in performance and function compared to surf foil. SUP foilers kinda just stand there, maybe do some slow swooping turns, whereas surf foilers are ripping ... and also beach starting, dock starting, getting multiple waves in row, more air acrobatics, etc. As foiling gets more common generally and more talented surfers take it up, I think surf foiling will probably pass sup foiling in popularity.

[speaking for myself, I have been sup foiling 2 seasons now, I think I am solid intermediate, buddy is in first season surf foiling, and after every session he is all everyone on the beach is talking about ... sup foils, and sups generally, don't get no respect :roll: :lol: ]
Yeah, but that's the point: SUP foiling is much, much more accessible & can be practiced in places where "real surfing" doesn't really work.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo Kites, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards, 24Surf.pl
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF, Cabrinha

Postby BraCuru » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:34 pm

When I was talking about wave riding on hydrofoil in 2013 everybody was laughing. Everybody.
Wish to know what say now all these guys suggesting me to shut up...
Even below video did not alert them.
Managed to ride from to the lip to the bottom couple of times and I loved it.

Unfortunately Baltic is not a place with regular waves and my skill has not developed at all.
I was predicting that young guns would be riding waves up and down.
Anyway soon we should see more guys managing waves in super style.

Bear in mind - 2013, my first months of hydrofoiling.
Moses Silente 425 and Cabrinha wave board:

Return to “Hydrofoil”