Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

state of the art wave kite foiling

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1015
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:05 pm
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil / Slingshot Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: state of the art wave kite foiling

Postby juandesooka » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:15 pm

Ridiculous radness! Endless fun potential!

So why do we inevitably end up bickering and arguing about these silly nuances and semantics? I think The Matrix pegged it, humans need to have some conflict and pain anxiety to be satisfied. If we all got along and agreed on everything and lived in an infinite wave garden paradise, then we'd figure out a way to fight about that too. Ah well. When the wind blows and the surf's up, I'm on it, and then ... really .. who care what anyone else thinks. Just giv'r and have a laugh with pals after. :-)

Kitetwin-1
Medium Poster
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:16 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: state of the art wave kite foiling

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:57 pm

Like he said !!!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 6392
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: state of the art wave kite foiling

Postby plummet » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:29 pm

Yeah get out there and ride however the hell you like. For me wave foiling is about flow, speed and carving on and off the wave/swell face. I dice with the pocket every now and then just to feel manly, then go back to the business of fun which is charging full sweeping carves on, over, through around the waves. A good wholesome high-speed fang down a jacking up wave face is thrilling too, carving out before it closes out and eats you up. I don't like riding through the whitewash on the foil. For me, that kills the fun, just lumpy horrible riding. So I dice with the wave while its peeling and then carve off and back upwind before I get to any closeout and subsequent whitewash ride. I'll leave that to the sb guys. I also like to evoke drexler style kite looping tomfoolery while i'm fangen down the line on the wave. That adds a level of complexity and amusement that I enjoy.

Its like smashing endless burms on my mountain bike. My own personal 5000000000 m² pump track. A worthy sensation indeed.

User avatar
flying grandpa
Medium Poster
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:02 am
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Siemiany, Rewa
Favorite Beaches: Stegna, Orle, Karwia
Style: hydrofoil long distance, slalom, waves
Gear: ZEEKO, Soul, Sonic.
Brand Affiliation: NONE
Location: Poland
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: state of the art wave kite foiling

Postby flying grandpa » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:56 pm

lebast wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:58 pm
Even that seems sometimes hard with bigger swells, to shut of the harsh acceleration of the foil when slightly overpowered and entering a steep part of the wave...
Decreasing max speed of most foils is easy.
The other way around - increasing - that’s a chore time!

To decrease max foil speed, put a washer (one or more credit cards) under one of front wing screw to lift up its leading edge.
This increases drag and reduces speed radically ( fuse angle of attack becomes negative in addition to increased downward force on stabi).
You’ll often get good stability with the same strap and mast position, as well as expect better low end in some cases.

You may even try to adjust your max speed to wave hight with proper washer thickness.

This way you can familiarize speeding down steep wawe a bit, at least it works fine for me at my age.

Well drifting kite helps a lot to stay in control. 4m Peak4 works very well for me. Its line tension helps me a lot to speed up my turns, at least until I learn to turn like a foilsurfer.

User avatar
pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 4:08 pm
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: West Dennis, Pleasure Bay, Chapin, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe. Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear:
FOIL
BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 110 130 150, Moses 633 637 548 550 + 91 101 111
Temavento Sync, Temavento custom LW, Moses T80 LTD, Ryan Schenk custom 36", LP Maverick XL 2

TT
Carved Imperator, Rebels, Swtchblades, Epic Infinity, Ocean Rodeo Flite
-
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: state of the art wave kite foiling

Postby pikovsg » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:01 am

I love kite foiling waves and can't get enough of it. So much more to discover! Per earlier mentions - go to school on Oyvind, Adam Withington, Fred Hope, Kai Lenny, Ketos, BRM, Horue and Core rider vids and give it some time – foil surfing will evolve into much more complex ride sequences as more people push the envelope. Wings and boards will evolve in parallel as manufacturers get inspired by watching these guys.

IMO a strong kite/foil community also drives progress. Here in Boston we have a lot of people getting into wave foiling and as a community everyone inspires each other to advance. At this point, thanks to other riders, I'm able to to spray the lip (at times) and do kiteroll backloops, reverse slides, and occasional megaloops on decent size waves. We just need a videographer to share a few decent vids and put them online. I'm sure there are others pushing it at any given time somewhere else.

Experiment with various boards, wings and kites. Slow down on the wave when down the line. Get to know the nitty gritty of your kite control. Try different positions on the mast track, beef up your leg muscles, work on your body's flexibility, while foiling more waves instead of writing posts about what's not possible. ;)


P.S. (super secret tip)
Electric skateboards like Lacroix Lonestar, Bamboo Evolve GT, Onewheel and oldschool Carver skateboards allow you to work on the same wave techniques on land, essentially doubling your time learning while keeping that kite and foil stoke. It's not a coincidence that you see Oyvind on the Onewheel before nearly every session.
Last edited by pikovsg on Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stevez
Frequent Poster
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:17 am
Kiting since: 2008
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: state of the art wave kite foiling

Postby stevez » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:50 am

pikovsg wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:01 am
P.S. (super secret tip)
Electric skateboards like Lacroix Lonestar, Bamboo Evolve GT, Onewheel and oldschool Carver skateboards allow you to work on the same wave techniques on land, essentially doubling your time learning while keeping that kite and foil stoke. It's not an coincidence that you see Oyvind on the Onewheel before nearly every session.
Just pulled the trigger on the onewheel pint. Had my eye on the onewheel for a while, they've just been a bit out of range pricewise until now.

User avatar
pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 4:08 pm
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: West Dennis, Pleasure Bay, Chapin, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe. Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear:
FOIL
BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 110 130 150, Moses 633 637 548 550 + 91 101 111
Temavento Sync, Temavento custom LW, Moses T80 LTD, Ryan Schenk custom 36", LP Maverick XL 2

TT
Carved Imperator, Rebels, Swtchblades, Epic Infinity, Ocean Rodeo Flite
-
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: state of the art wave kite foiling

Postby pikovsg » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:45 pm

stevez wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:50 am
pikovsg wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:01 am
P.S. (super secret tip)
Electric skateboards like Lacroix Lonestar, Bamboo Evolve GT, Onewheel and oldschool Carver skateboards allow you to work on the same wave techniques on land, essentially doubling your time learning while keeping that kite and foil stoke. It's not an coincidence that you see Oyvind on the Onewheel before nearly every session.
Just pulled the trigger on the onewheel pint. Had my eye on the onewheel for a while, they've just been a bit out of range pricewise until now.
There you go! The Onewheel Pint is very skatey, even more so than XR. You should see an immediate connection to foiling as soon as you ride it.
These users thanked the author pikovsg for the post:
stevez (Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:31 pm)
Rating: 10%

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 610
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:01 pm
Favorite Beaches: cabarete, kanaha
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: state of the art wave kite foiling

Postby elguapo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:21 am

pikovsg wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:01 am
I love kite foiling waves and can't get enough of it. So much more to discover! Per earlier mentions - go to school on Oyvind, Adam Withington, Fred Hope, Kai Lenny, Ketos, BRM, Horue and Core rider vids and give it some time – foil surfing will evolve into much more complex ride sequences as more people push the envelope. Wings and boards will evolve in parallel as manufacturers get inspired by watching these guys.

IMO a strong kite/foil community also drives progress. Here in Boston we have a lot of people getting into wave foiling and as a community everyone inspires each other to advance. At this point, thanks to other riders, I'm able to to spray the lip (at times) and do kiteroll backloops, reverse slides, and occasional megaloops on decent size waves. We just need a videographer to share a few decent vids and put them online. I'm sure there are others pushing it at any given time somewhere else.

Experiment with various boards, wings and kites. Slow down on the wave when down the line. Get to know the nitty gritty of your kite control. Try different positions on the mast track, beef up your leg muscles, work on your body's flexibility, while foiling more waves instead of writing posts about what's not possible. ;)


P.S. (super secret tip)
Electric skateboards like Lacroix Lonestar, Bamboo Evolve GT, Onewheel and oldschool Carver skateboards allow you to work on the same wave techniques on land, essentially doubling your time learning while keeping that kite and foil stoke. It's not a coincidence that you see Oyvind on the Onewheel before nearly every session.

doesnt Oyvind use a monofoil?
i'm mindblown thinking of some something so maneuverable with twin power potential of wind and a swollen swell....bacially i see a monofoil in waves as a thruster on steroids.

to me foilig swell is similar on riding on longboard or more precisesly a gun surfboard...excect much faster and you dont need a wave 2x overhead ride it.
ridng is completely different that with a thruster(for example)..
just like on a bigger wave..im trying to catch foil on wave/swell..down and back up..trying to use minimize use of kite. (except dont need to wait for monster swell to do it)

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 518
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:55 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: state of the art wave kite foiling

Postby slowboat » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:01 am

flying grandpa wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:56 pm
lebast wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:58 pm
Even that seems sometimes hard with bigger swells, to shut of the harsh acceleration of the foil when slightly overpowered and entering a steep part of the wave...
Decreasing max speed of most foils is easy.
The other way around - increasing - that’s a chore time!

To decrease max foil speed, put a washer (one or more credit cards) under one of front wing screw to lift up its leading edge.
This increases drag and reduces speed radically ( fuse angle of attack becomes negative in addition to increased downward force on stabi).
You’ll often get good stability with the same strap and mast position, as well as expect better low end in some cases.

You may even try to adjust your max speed to wave hight with proper washer thickness.

This way you can familiarize speeding down steep wawe a bit, at least it works fine for me at my age.

Well drifting kite helps a lot to stay in control. 4m Peak4 works very well for me. Its line tension helps me a lot to speed up my turns, at least until I learn to turn like a foilsurfer.
So do you want a foil with more drag or less drag for waves?

lebast
Rare Poster
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:05 am
Kiting since: 2016
Gear: 15 FS Boost, 9,7 Naish Pivot, 4 Naish Slash, Zeeko Carver Alu Foil + 5,3 Slash
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: state of the art wave kite foiling

Postby lebast » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:57 pm

@flying grandpa
My Foil is setup quite nice for waves at least I have the feeling at the moment :wink:. The challenge for me lays in riding technique for this given challenge. Like where and how to enter the wave and which line once you are in the wave to choose. Since the wind "waves" that we get here in the baltic sea are based on 30+ktns +-10knts gusty conditions kite size choice can be a gamble. So in this regards smaller (3,5,3,2.8,2.5qm...) foil wave specialized kites will be an improvement (which will enter the market soon) but even with these we will face those situations where a gust hits (big black cloud) and the bigger waves of the days roll in. You feel a little overpowered on your kite but you still want to be able to ride the wave as you desire. And here I have the feeling that the position and the speed where and with wich you enter these waves will be crucial in order to not just go down the wave full speed and out run it but be in the position where you have full control over where and how you want to ride the wave. So I don't want to limit the foil speed by setting it to a certain AOA but I want to be able to control the speed via riding decisions before and while on the wave, like stalling for a tube ride with SB...

In short: for me that is more a riding experience thing than a foil setup up question but I have to admit smaller wave foil oriented kites would probably help. For sure also more defined wave wings that fit your style will help, but that is semantics...

@slowboat
As for wing choice and AOA setup in the waves. This seems very personal a friend of mine likes bigger wings (1000cm²+) to get this intense feeling of being pushed in waves to a certain speed going more straight and wider arched turns and I like rather smaller wings (710cm²) that seem way more manouverable and carvy in the wave, with which speed managing is key.
These users thanked the author lebast for the post:
slowboat (Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:30 pm)
Rating: 10%


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron