Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Frustrated with an NV in lightish wind and foiling, am I just bad?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
PrfctChaos
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Frustrated with an NV in lightish wind and foiling, am I just bad?

Postby PrfctChaos » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:49 am

Was 9m hyperlink already mentioned, seems like the obvious choice for this mix of use.

Michaelr123
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 18
Local Beach: Mendota / Monona
Gear: Liquid Force NV V8 12m
mission control bar v2 20+3+4m lines
2019 Liquid Force edge 143cm
Been thanked: 0

Postby Michaelr123 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:10 pm

I like the apollo for jumping, but I'm not sure I really want to be sending it when I don't have 20ft of water to land in when I mess up ;) I also know a few guys that have broken legs when the wind died or they screwed up a landing on the ice... I like it more for the efficient cruising, high speeds, upwind-ability which I think would be an awesome use case for windier summer days cruising all over the lake along with big lofty jumps. Obviously I'm having a blast on the apollo, but I'm leaning towards picking up an older wave kite (10m 2016 SST?) for a few hundred bucks and trying that this winter. There will be apollo's waiting for me if I try out a wave kite and don't care for it on the snow.
Flyboy wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:53 am
Also ... you have the issue of what size to get for a larger foiling kite: 10m. 11m or 12m?
you're very right on this one. I could get an 11/10m boxer and split the difference, which would be my compromise, but not perfect for either situation. Ultra's only come in 9 and 12's, so you have to pick between ultra light wind and then getting over powered, or waiting until I've got 13mph of wind for the 9m. I'm kind of leaning towards a 12m which I could compare to my NV and then decide if I want to keep both or not. paired with a 9-10m wave kite I should be covered for most situations for the foil. If i decide to get the apollo then I'd have something for really high speed cruising as well, though at the moment i'm pretty happy going slow on the foil and just working on my transitions :D

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000

Postby Flyboy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:53 pm

Take a look at Real's used equipment on sale. They have a variety of Boxer's including 10m, 11m & 12m. Also have LQF Solo's & WOW's - which would be another option.

If it were me, I think I'd go for an 11m Boxer & then a 9m wave kite, or a 12m Solo & a 9m WOW.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
Michaelr123 (Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:58 pm)
Rating: 10%

Michaelr123
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 18
Local Beach: Mendota / Monona
Gear: Liquid Force NV V8 12m
mission control bar v2 20+3+4m lines
2019 Liquid Force edge 143cm
Been thanked: 0

Postby Michaelr123 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:58 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:53 pm
Take a look at Real's used equipment on sale. They have a variety of Boxer's including 10m, 11m & 12m. Also have LQF Solo's & WOW's - which would be another option.

If it were me, I think I'd go for an 11m Boxer & then a 9m wave kite, or a 12m Solo & a 9m WOW.
Good find my good sir, a little bit less sketch factor and the kites seem to be a little newer and in better condition. a bit higher on the cost side of things, but it seems worth it to me. Thank you!

Return to “Hydrofoil”