Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Re: Beginner need advice choosing kitefoil

Postby gozokiteboarding » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:16 pm

I got the Neil Pryde small set up and have been very happy with it, works great compared to a few other foils I have tested, lighter then most other Aluminum foils on the market. Also as an added bonus can be used as a surf foil or to windsurf I did buy a Large wing later on, it is a bit big for kite foiling but works great behind the boat. Quite happy with my purchase.

https://www.neilpryde.com/collections/glide-series

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:26 pm

You start to see the GoFoil Kai appearing on the second hand market, and that would be a nice foil to learn on, and to keep all along your foiling journey.

gozokiteboarding
Medium Poster
Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Postby gozokiteboarding » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:29 pm

Here is a good beginner video of using a surf foil for Kitesurfing

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby grigorib » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:48 pm

For 60kg rider the original NF2 (with H5 aka Time Code 57) is a decent and very sufficient setup. Also they’re dirt cheap now and being very sturdy and solid setup it won’t fail you. People who learn in larger 1000-1500 sq.cm wings are getting a better lowend but also 1000 sq.cm wing is good idea for a heavier rider than 60kg.

For used setup at your weight - can recommend it 5/5
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
Kaylan (Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:10 am)
Rating: 3.03%

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:46 pm

elguapo wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:02 am
"very cheap" and "I want to start kitefoiling" arent exactly the most compatible of words.

...unless your goal is to crash your way downwind...and then carry all that weight back up the beach over and over

personally, if you want to save money.. try to buy a quality surf style foil off the used market

there is a reason many people learn on a moses 633 (for example)...but never grow out of it.
(which is another problem.. 633 foils tend to demand a premium even.. 2nd hand)
Although wing design has improved quite, the original liquid force wing is fine for learning on and as has been pointed out VERY durable. I personally learnt on the original LF wing and think it has alot of positive points about it. I personally would not advise an expensive carbon wing right away it is likely to get trashed. What I would say is to go for a shorter mast.
Last edited by UKSurf on Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby UKSurf » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:47 pm

gozokiteboarding wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:29 pm
Here is a good beginner video of using a surf foil for Kitesurfing
One point about surf foils is that they can create too much lift for a beginner. They make learning to surface ride and keep the board on the water harder. You have to be careful about how fast you go, once you get upto speed you really have to use your weight to keep them down and they add the risk of popping out the water at you if you fall off :) My worst accident to date has been at low speeds on a large surf wing popping up and wacking my finger (probably a minor fracture).

matanshapira
Medium Poster

Postby matanshapira » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:12 pm

UKSurf wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:46 pm
elguapo wrote:
"very cheap" and "I want to start kitefoiling" arent exactly the most compatible of words.

...unless your goal is to crash your way downwind...and then carry all that weight back up the beach over and over

personally, if you want to save money.. try to buy a quality surf style foil off the used market

there is a reason many people learn on a moses 633 (for example)...but never grow out of it.
Although wing design has improved quite, the original liquid force wing is fine for learning on and as has been pointed out VERY durable. I personally learnt on the original LF wing and think it has alot of positive points about it. I personally would not advise an expensive carbon wing right away it is likely to get trashed. What I would say is to go for a shorter mast.
Wouldn't it be easier to start on the LF Impulse instead of the Rocket? It is way more stable.
LF discontinued the Rocket on 2020 and now their beginners wing is even larger than the Impulse.
A few friends and myself ditched the Rocket for the Impulse after 10-20 sessions and regret not doing it sooner.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby UKSurf » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:13 am

matanshapira wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:12 pm
UKSurf wrote:
elguapo wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier to start on the LF Impulse instead of the Rocket? It is way more stable.
LF discontinued the Rocket on 2020 and now their beginners wing is even larger than the Impulse.
A few friends and myself ditched the Rocket for the Impulse after 10-20 sessions and regret not doing it sooner.
The Impulse is a much more stable wing, but there might be negatives to a large surf wing. It is more expensive, easier to break, might take off too early making surface riding on the first couple of runs more difficult. There seem to be alot of tradeoffs in hydrofoil design.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:39 pm

UKSurf wrote:
elguapo wrote:

i bought a short mast to start....i can see the benefits.
..but i personally used it for only a couple sessions.

if doing it again... i'd just learn on a full length mast and take my lumps.
this may be morbid.. but with the short mast there wasnt really much of a penalty for trying to edge on my rear foot.
..on the longer mast i learned REAL quick not to trying riding the foil like a twin tip.

hard to disagree on trashing the carbon wings...thats the negative.
their more expensive and newbie will probably destroy it. (well, i did)
These users thanked the author elguapo for the post:
Kaylan (Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:10 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Kaylan
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ensenada, mexico
Style: freeride
Gear: Fone 2016 trax
North Rebel 2017
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kaylan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:14 am

Breze wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:18 am
As Tomtom said, stay away from the Speedster. The plastic fuselage breaks like toast.
viewtopic.php?t=2397558&p=995702
The NF2 is outdated. The newer wings are better and easier. Both boards are good.
Have a look here ( I have nothing to do with Gong)
https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/ ... -freewave/
Gong seems to be a very good start for me. But the main problem is the shipping. I live in mexico at the border of USA and I have an adress in USA but they cannot ship the board...
So maybe I will look for something else. I just don't want to start with something that I will change 6 month later.

Return to “Hydrofoil”