Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Beginner need advice choosing kitefoil

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:06 am

UKSurf wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:46 pm
elguapo wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:02 am
"very cheap" and "I want to start kitefoiling" arent exactly the most compatible of words.

...unless your goal is to crash your way downwind...and then carry all that weight back up the beach over and over

personally, if you want to save money.. try to buy a quality surf style foil off the used market

there is a reason many people learn on a moses 633 (for example)...but never grow out of it.
(which is another problem.. 633 foils tend to demand a premium even.. 2nd hand)
Although wing design has improved quite, the original liquid force wing is fine for learning on and as has been pointed out VERY durable. I personally learnt on the original LF wing and think it has alot of positive points about it. I personally would not advise an expensive carbon wing right away it is likely to get trashed. What I would say is to go for a shorter mast.

Can only agree.

Extremely low cost, but durable, and a 95 kg friend of mine still got his and uses it when we are out together playing around in waves or chop or whatever, but using bigger kites of course.

The wing is "only" 810 cm2 some might think, but they tend to advice you based on their own experiences, and not what is the best for you at only 60 kg.

An 810 cm2 wing for a 60 kg rider corresponds to a 1080 cm2 wing for an 80 kg rider, and 1080 is a perfect average rider sweetspot "one size for all" today in 2019-2020.

There hasnt been much evolution the last many years in kite hydrofoils, only the trend towards bigger wings.
And here the LF was the first in fact, when it came, many went down to smaller wings later, as "that was what you did instead of using a huge 800 cm2 wing" - ha haa, funny, because now these low AR sizes, and bigger also, has returned.

Many, especially the industry who makes money on us, will say there has been a huge evolution and the newer gear is way better!!!

I say "Bull" :wink:

The newer gear is much more refined of course, but roughly speaking no change.

So if you want it low cost and what will work, the classic LF is good.

Not very sleek no, but durable, works perfectly, and should be easy to access used.

Because, when people who thinks "I want to try foiling", but wont waste much into it, and they learn, many in fact almost or fully ditches their old boards and want to foil as much as possible.
Thus NOW they want to use money on the refined beautiful carbon dreamlike hydrofoils - not because they are needed, but because they are the best, and many wants the best now they are 100 % into foiling.
You can not say that to anyone who dont foil yet, they will think it is an odd thing they "just" have to try, as they can see the whole world changing into foiling now, kitefoil-windfoil-supfoil-surffoil-wingfoil.

Long story short, the older LF will do just fine IMO, for your 60 kg Kaylan :thumb:

8) Peter

matanshapira
Medium Poster

Postby matanshapira » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:13 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:06 am
UKSurf wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:46 pm
elguapo wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:02 am
"very cheap" and "I want to start kitefoiling" arent exactly the most compatible of words.

...unless your goal is to crash your way downwind...and then carry all that weight back up the beach over and over

personally, if you want to save money.. try to buy a quality surf style foil off the used market

there is a reason many people learn on a moses 633 (for example)...but never grow out of it.
(which is another problem.. 633 foils tend to demand a premium even.. 2nd hand)
Although wing design has improved quite, the original liquid force wing is fine for learning on and as has been pointed out VERY durable. I personally learnt on the original LF wing and think it has alot of positive points about it. I personally would not advise an expensive carbon wing right away it is likely to get trashed. What I would say is to go for a shorter mast.

Can only agree.

Extremely low cost, but durable, and a 95 kg friend of mine still got his and uses it when we are out together playing around in waves or chop or whatever, but using bigger kites of course.

The wing is "only" 810 cm2 some might think, but they tend to advice you based on their own experiences, and not what is the best for you at only 60 kg.

An 810 cm2 wing for a 60 kg rider corresponds to a 1080 cm2 wing for an 80 kg rider, and 1080 is a perfect average rider sweetspot "one size for all" today in 2019-2020.

There hasnt been much evolution the last many years in kite hydrofoils, only the trend towards bigger wings.
And here the LF was the first in fact, when it came, many went down to smaller wings later, as "that was what you did instead of using a huge 800 cm2 wing" - ha haa, funny, because now these low AR sizes, and bigger also, has returned.

Many, especially the industry who makes money on us, will say there has been a huge evolution and the newer gear is way better!!!

I say "Bull" :wink:

The newer gear is much more refined of course, but roughly speaking no change.

So if you want it low cost and what will work, the classic LF is good.

Not very sleek no, but durable, works perfectly, and should be easy to access used.

Because, when people who thinks "I want to try foiling", but wont waste much into it, and they learn, many in fact almost or fully ditches their old boards and want to foil as much as possible.
Thus NOW they want to use money on the refined beautiful carbon dreamlike hydrofoils - not because they are needed, but because they are the best, and many wants the best now they are 100 % into foiling.
You can not say that to anyone who dont foil yet, they will think it is an odd thing they "just" have to try, as they can see the whole world changing into foiling now, kitefoil-windfoil-supfoil-surffoil-wingfoil.

Long story short, the older LF will do just fine IMO, for your 60 kg Kaylan :thumb:

8) Peter
Yes, size is the most important aspect and for light guys Rocket is like the Impulse for avg weight guys.
What's the formula for calculating size based on rider weight?

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:50 am

Kaylan wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:14 am
Breze wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:18 am
As Tomtom said, stay away from the Speedster. The plastic fuselage breaks like toast.
viewtopic.php?t=2397558&p=995702
The NF2 is outdated. The newer wings are better and easier. Both boards are good.
Have a look here ( I have nothing to do with Gong)
https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/ ... -freewave/
Gong seems to be a very good start for me. But the main problem is the shipping. I live in mexico at the border of USA and I have an adress in USA but they cannot ship the board...
So maybe I will look for something else. I just don't want to start with something that I will change 6 month later.
You don't need to get a a board from Gong - any board with a track system will do. You can order a board from a number of different US suppliers. I just ordered a foil from Gong. Shipping to the US was 100 Euros (for full foil plus an extra 65cm mast). I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
Kaylan (Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:54 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Kaylan
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ensenada, mexico
Style: freeride
Gear: Fone 2016 trax
North Rebel 2017
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kaylan » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:10 am

Flyboy wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:50 am
Kaylan wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:14 am
Breze wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:18 am
As Tomtom said, stay away from the Speedster. The plastic fuselage breaks like toast.
viewtopic.php?t=2397558&p=995702
The NF2 is outdated. The newer wings are better and easier. Both boards are good.
Have a look here ( I have nothing to do with Gong)
https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/ ... -freewave/
Gong seems to be a very good start for me. But the main problem is the shipping. I live in mexico at the border of USA and I have an adress in USA but they cannot ship the board...
So maybe I will look for something else. I just don't want to start with something that I will change 6 month later.
You don't need to get a a board from Gong - any board with a track system will do. You can order a board from a number of different US suppliers. I just ordered a foil from Gong. Shipping to the US was 100 Euros (for full foil plus an extra 65cm mast). I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Thanks
As I am new I don't know where to start. There is some people say its better a light weight board others say heavy, carbon, no carbon...
I am looking right now on ikitesurf to buy a used board for my wonderful 60 kg and there is a few option:
Moses T40 4'6 2018
Moses T60 4'7 2018
Slingshot alien air 2019 4'8
X Breed 5'5 2019
SS Hypermiler 2018 4'8
LF Galaxy 2018 4'8 or LF Galaxy 2019 4'2

I am attracted to the xbreed to be able to do surf and foil but not sure it's a good idea???
:-)
I decided to buy the gong foil :-) I need a board now ;-)

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:18 am

Kaylan wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:10 am

Thanks
As I am new I don't know where to start. There is some people say its better a light weight board others say heavy, carbon, no carbon...
I am looking right now on ikitesurf to buy a used board for my wonderful 60 kg and there is a few option:
Moses T40 4'6 2018
Moses T60 4'7 2018
Slingshot alien air 2019 4'8
X Breed 5'5 2019
SS Hypermiler 2018 4'8
LF Galaxy 2018 4'8 or LF Galaxy 2019 4'2

I am attracted to the xbreed to be able to do surf and foil but not sure it's a good idea???
:-)
I decided to buy the gong foil :-) I need a board now ;-)
The Moses boards don't have tracks as far as I remember. I wouldn't worry too much about carbon. No need to overthink this - you need a good all-around board to learn on. The Hypermiler & Alien Air are bigger than you need, especially at 60 kg.

I would look at the 2018 SS Dwarfcraft 4'6" which is on sale now. The LF Galaxy 4'8" would also be a good choice.

Return to “Hydrofoil”