Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lift 200 for kiting

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Lift 200 for kiting

Postby geokite » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:19 pm

mmac wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:35 pm
I'm still stoked with the 170 Classic wing. It has been great on all boards, I'm now using it on a small pocket board. However, I'm curious about the Surf series wings and different tail sizes for kitesurfing. If you have any experience with the Surf series wings and different size stabilizers, please post a review with the size combos that are working.
I started on the 170 Classic, then got the 170Fish, then sold that to get the 170 surf. I use the 34 and 50 tails with the surf. I'm 71kg, 36" mast, SS DC 42"

The 170 Classic doesn't have the range of angle of attack that the 170 Surf can have at slow speeds. Once you go too slow with the classic, you sink (as you would expect). When you slow down with the surf, you can lean back a bit to stay up. This is a really nice feature when playing in wind swell. Makes the surf better in lighter wind; I'd estimate it lowers my wind range about 1mph. The surf turns tighter than the classic. The surf is noticeably heavier, regardless of the tail.

I haven't noticed much of a difference in top speeds between the two, maybe a bit more with the classic. I usually top out at about 20-21mph during a session.

The 50 tail makes the wing much less pitch sensitive (as you would expect), and a bit less maneuverable. I rode the 34 tail at Belmont in Socal a couple days ago; I had to focus on not crashing, which hasn't been an issue since I started foiling in fall of 2018. Belmont is basically a large reflection pool, with container ships, man-made islands, and rock jetty's bouncing around every wave in every direction; makes stability a tad important I think. I will not ride the 34 tail there again... I rode the Surf with the 50 tail at Sherman Island last week. So stable in wind swell from 25mph wind. Keep in mind I'm not pumping the wing.

I had to sharpen the 34 tail due to singing. Took a couple tries, but it's mostly quiet now. Never a noise from the 50 tail.

20/20 hindsight (and with product availability), I would only get the 170 Surf and a selection of tails. That is based purely on how they ride and light wind ability for my home (San Diego), not based on the travel ability.

Let me know if you have any questions about either of these wings.
Steve
These users thanked the author geokite for the post (total 6):
tmcfarla (Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:24 pm) • mmac (Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:28 pm) • jumptheshark (Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:17 pm) • riddim1 (Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:21 pm) • StellaBlu (Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:33 pm) • papasmerf (Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:03 am)
Rating: 18.18%

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:32 pm

mmac wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:25 pm
Has anyone compared the Lift Classic 170 to their new Surf 170 wing for kitesurfing?
Also interested in this. I like the ability to split the front wing and rear stab for travel, but wondering what the compromise is. Lift says that the surf 170 is thicker construction, but not sure how that translates to ride.

Also, any comparisons between the 40 and 50 rear stabilizers (with the 170 wing)?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:04 am

The thicker profile will decrease acceleration and top end speed but have a softer stall at a lower speed. The surf wingtips have a little more anhedral which they claim helps initiate a carve.

Personally I’m happy with the already slow and soft stall of the classic wing, appreciate the strength and simplicity of the single piece design and feel like the glide and low drag nature of a slim profile wing is a better fit for my riding style.

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]

Postby geokite » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:58 pm

Exactly what JTS said. The surf is a bit more lively, better low end, and not as fast.

Return to “Hydrofoil”