A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Single strut kite comparison

Postby jakemoore » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:40 pm

Boxer is a little heavier than Ultra. Boxer has good drive upwind and a little more boost when you pull the bar. It’s closer in feeling to a free ride kite and nicer on twin tip. The bridle has one slider and is short enough it cannot wrap a wingtip. There is an attachment for a Zeeko style relaunch 5th line on the TE but I can imagine fitting a relaunch line as the relaunch is flawless. All around a very nice kite to fly and by far the most popular one strut in our area. Price may have something to do with it as well. The 4 is a gem in mid strength winds. Some people gripe about the internal one pump. It hasn’t been a negative for me. I guess that’s going away.

Ultra is also very nice to fly. A little less boost. The bridle is longer. It stays in the air in less wind. I have had no relaunch situations with it but tend to fly it in less wind.

I was not impressed with the North mono I flew but maybe they have improved. I have not seen the Duotone counterpart.

One friend has a 6m Alpha. He is doing quite well with it. I have not had a chance to fly it but suspect I would like it just by watching it in the air.

None of them will be pleasing if you want to ride downwind into it like a Cloud.

I mostly fly foil kites. Hyperlink is lighter than a cloud and has foil kite upwind drive.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:25 am

tomtom wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:43 pm
downunder wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:28 pm
Not even comparable with foils. Including Soul. I mean, paid $600, right? For 3000, any foil should relaunch itself on my voice command ;) When not looking :)
Loops? Ha. Looping a foil is, well, boring.

Please not LEI vs FOIL yet again!
Really?

Lets see:
None of them will be pleasing if you want to ride downwind into it like a Cloud.

I mostly fly foil kites. Hyperlink is lighter than a cloud and has foil kite upwind drive.
And the thread is about single struts, not Clouds or foils, as you say...

Wazza Foil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hams
Style: Kite surfing strapless. Foil, SUP and ka
Gear: lots

Postby Wazza Foil » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:01 am

Clouds have a single strut version, I have an 8m single strut D1 Cloud as per my earlier post.

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards
Been thanked: 0

Postby chirojoseph » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:48 pm

Big +1 on the Ultra V2 combined with my Shinn Jackson and sshot Infinity 76 foil this setup has given hundreds of incredible sessions from 9knots to about 16...and I'm 90kilos dry.

The Bridals are annoying long.. Almost never put it in the water so can't comment much on relaunch.. Amazing drift.. This thing NEVER hindenburg! Great Light bar pressure... And can really appreciate that the kite lines sewed into the canopy fabric have limited the material from stretching.

Have not tried the Alpha so cannot compare but had an 8 meter boxer 1strut 1st gen that was also a pretty good kite. Used it highly powered in waves on surfboard and was very happy. Not a bad jumping kite but definately was not a, boosting machine. Sadly it died on the reefs in baja due to my crappy F1 chicken loop breaking, immediate leash line failure and kite then surfing into the rocks and razor sharp barnacles on the last wave of the set... RIP señor Boxer and go to hell Crappy F1 chicken loop.

I have also enjoyed the Airrush V2 10mt on my surfboard in waves but have to be really powered up. The "sweet spot" is more difficult To obtain when trying to get upwind slightly underpowered as it's hard to realize you are oversheeting due to the light bar pressure... But the kite REALLY SHINES in 8 to 12 knots on my big foil in swell. I have a 12 meter foil kite as well but invariably use the Ultra just so much more playful and quick.
Oh yeah.. PS.. the Ultra 10 Mt was actually a BLAST last march snow kiting as well! No worries about the light gusty mountain winds and pulled me up the slopes pretty damn good.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:36 am

Nice to know about the snow.

Might take it with me this winter. I do not mind long bridles since riding on 17m lines ;) Bar pressure for me 60kg is just right.

I'm actually thinking to replace one pump so I can pump a strut harder. Easy job.

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:47 am

Onda wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:59 am
Now I have the 2019 Naish Boxer in 10 m². It is a dream! Relatively fast turning, super light in the air even in lightest winds, super good depower and huge range / sweetspot, extremely stable in the air, super good drift, silly-good water relaunch even in almost no wind - unbelievable really. This is the only kite I feel totally relaxed with on my Moses 633, never overpowered, just everything is optimal at any time, no fear of that low-wind session because I know that kite will always relaunch. No flutter, very good bar feedback.

I fly many different wave kites (3-strut). The Boxer is absolutely perfect for foiling. Will get me some smaller versions soon.
Just got a 2017/18 Boxer 10m. Two sessions: one in 10kn and one in 8kn building to 10kn. I’m super happy with it. Turns fast for a 10m, nice pivoty loops, great drift, good lift across apex for transitions, very light in the sky, gets me going in 8kn, and small flutter for a single strut. I can’t comment on the relaunch yet and I don’t know how it will handle power (i.e., 11kn+) but i am very happy with it so far. This will be my biggest kite and will sell my 10m WOW.

live2play
Medium Poster

Postby live2play » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:17 am

Anyone have time on the Core XLite?

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:31 am

Anyone try the Kauper XT maverick ,not a single strut,called a 1+2 as the 2 side struts are very small. Weight is less than many single struts though.

queneseb
Medium Poster
Gear: Peterlynn NOVA
Peterlynn AEROv2
Peterlynn HOOK
Brand Affiliation: Peterlynn
Chubanga
Has thanked: 0

Postby queneseb » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:49 pm

I tested some of this kite, clearly the best Is the PLKB SYNERGY ! So much fun in the turn, it turn so quickly and have a crazy stability, so fun for tack, jibe, carving.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:07 pm

About that, what sizes of which kites did you try and what size of the synergy? What is the weight of the synergy? Bar throw? Gutless turns or some power? Fast across window or just fast to pivot? AR? Etc.....

Return to “Hydrofoil”