Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Single strut kite comparison

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Single strut kite comparison

Postby RalfsB » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:49 pm

Onda wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:59 am
The Boxer is absolutely perfect for foiling. Will get me some smaller versions soon.
I could not agree more. It is my favorite kite not only for foiling but for general surfboard/twintip riding as well.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:27 pm

downunder wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:28 pm
Whats about the solid strut LE connection? It is the same as on Ozone Edge. Pump it hard and thats it.
If you look at the strut ends of an Airush where they meet the leading edge, it is a tapered connection there, i.e., there is room for the strut to move independently of the leading edge, which means the canopy can fill with water easier if the kite comes down. If you look at the Ozone Alpha, that huge single strut connects firmly to the leading edge, there can be no movement. It doesn't matter how hard you pump the Airush, that tapering will always exist. You can see this readily if you have an Airush inflated but sitting on the beach. you will notice the struts always appear to be not inflated enough as they droop heavily in the wind. I like the flying characteristics of the Airushs, but based on my personal experience, they fail me on relaunch.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:58 pm

This gap exists on many kites, including Edge. The only difference is how the strut "sits" behind the canopy, me thinks.

And that is closely related to the design, number of struts, etc For sure a strut with battens behaves completely different.

I still do not understand how can a strut move independently from the LE when sewn to it. Is that v2?

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:33 pm

RalfsB wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:49 pm
Onda wrote:
The Boxer is absolutely perfect for foiling. Will get me some smaller versions soon.
I could not agree more. It is my favorite kite not only for foiling but for general surfboard/twintip riding as well.
I'm in the rare camp that I really don't like my 10m boxer for foiling. I think this just means it is good to try first, if you can. I have kept it around for teaching my wife, and it is a really good kite for that.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:53 pm

tmcfarla wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:33 pm
RalfsB wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:49 pm
Onda wrote:
I'm in the rare camp that I really don't like my 10m boxer for foiling. I think this just means it is good to try first, if you can. I have kept it around for teaching my wife, and it is a really good kite for that.
Could you let us know what about it you don't like for foiling. We all seem to foil a little differently and it's just as helpful to hear what you didn't like.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:43 pm

downunder wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:28 pm
Not even comparable with foils. Including Soul. I mean, paid $600, right? For 3000, any foil should relaunch itself on my voice command ;) When not looking :)
Loops? Ha. Looping a foil is, well, boring.

Please not LEI vs FOIL yet again!

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:50 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:53 pm
tmcfarla wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:33 pm

Could you let us know what about it you don't like for foiling. We all seem to foil a little differently and it's just as helpful to hear what you didn't like.
I find that it wants to fall out of the sky when turning with speed with a foil, especially in light wind. Basically, I find the drift to be pretty bad. Typically, when I turn, the boxer will hinderburg, and I have to scramble to run out line tension before it hits the water. It's low end (required to fly) is barely better than normal 3-strut kites, and substantially worse than clouds. I've tried playing with leader line length as per suggestion of others, but to no avail. I guess I would sum it up as everything I dislike about 3-strut kites, along with everything I dislike about clouds. I will say that I have a much higher success rate with foiling gybes than any other kite, because it gives a lot of lift at 12 o'clock. I briefly used it with a twintip when teaching my wife, and it worked surprisingly well with a twin tip.

Maybe I've been spoiled by exceptionally well drifting kites, or maybe I've just never gotten the boxer dialed in, or maybe I got a lemon, but for me it drifts like a 5-strut kite, hangs in the air like a 3-strut kite, and deforms like a strutless kite.

Others love it, and I'm not trying to bash the kite, only point out that it is best to demo first
These users thanked the author tmcfarla for the post:
jumptheshark (Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:48 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:14 pm

What year is your Boxer? I have the 19/20 9qm Boxer and it doesn´t do these bad things at all. Very good foil kite for me( 90kg). Beside the mentioned good drifting, relaunch, jumping with foil, it has nice pull to lift me out of the water when starting. No fly down!

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:41 pm

It will be interesting to see how the new Ocean Rodeo Roam Black (aluula) will impact on the single strut market (and possibly foils as well) I prefer single struts but am a 'reluctant' foil user sub 10 kts ( same with many of my kite buddies) Aluula may be the answer....

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:52 pm

Same, I love the cloud, but after spending almost all my time on the 8.5 I want one with more comfy range. Keen to see what a comparably light three strut 8m kite flies like in comparison. In the mean time, I'm also really interested in reading peoples impressions of the growing single strut market.

Return to “Hydrofoil”