Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hit a dolphin

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Hit a dolphin

Postby Laughingman » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:09 pm

Heck I've hit small rays and they are enough to stop me dead.... it does not take much... even a plastic bag has sent me flying

RagingGrandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Style: TT, HF, SB, snow, ice
Gear: nothing special

Postby RagingGrandpa » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:56 pm

Macster wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:22 am
We get jelly fish the size of basket balls in Melbourne that will knock you off your foil board
Woah, like in Port Philip Bay / Brighton? Or ocean-only?
(I travel there occasionally, good to know what to watch for, thx)

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:43 pm

Last year on my hydrofoil i saw my first stingray ever, of this kind:
Image.
Wonderful.
Second day i saw it again. Lovestory starts...
Third day i saw a similar shape just before i hit with my hydrofoil, without falling into the water, then pray for not being my loved stingray, and on the way back i found two half of a stingray floating...
Shocked... i wanted to give away the HF...

Then I learned there was a lot of them that exceptional year (too much gor tourists...), and other kiters later hit other rays... but still... cut in half ... :cry:

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:02 am

Last edited by grigorib on Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:17 am

RagingGrandpa wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:56 pm
Macster wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:22 am
We get jelly fish the size of basket balls in Melbourne that will knock you off your foil board
Woah, like in Port Philip Bay / Brighton? Or ocean-only?
(I travel there occasionally, good to know what to watch for, thx)
Yeah port Phillip bay. West side Altona, couple of KMs offshore.
http://portphillipmarinelife.net.au/Spe ... ecies/7757
These users thanked the author Macster for the post:
RagingGrandpa (Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:26 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:15 pm

mbs wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:04 am
I saw a few dolphins rolling and thought I was passing well behind them. Either one came back to attack the foil thinking it was a fish, or there was another underwater trailing behind that I couldn’t see. I’m not sure if it was the wing or the mast that hit it, but the board crashed down hard taking a nosedive and tossed me off and I flew far forwards.

It was a hard collision and I felt terrible that maybe it hurt the dolphin. I never saw what I hit, the crash was under water and the water isn’t clear. I just assume it was a dolphin because I was passing behind a pod of them that I could see.

Where I live (Pensacola, NW FL gulf coast) there is a lot of baitfish that show up inshore this time of year as the weather starts to cool in early fall, and the dolphins get very active feasting in the sound. I wonder if the dolphin went after the foil thinking it was a fish or if I just blindsided one that didn’t see me coming. It was surprising to me to hit a dolphin because I’ve always thought they are so fast and so aware of their surroundings. With a boat you could never hit one, they always stay clear of the prop even though they love to play in the wake. But the boat is noisy and the foil is very quiet.

It was my first experience having the foil hit something underwater, and it spooked me a little. For the rest of the session I kept hallucinating underwater dolphins.

Anyone else has experienced anything similar?
mbs, I was out foiling this morning on Okaloosa Island at kite beach. While I was out near the channel, I saw a dolphin swimming pretty slow along the surface like they often do. Having just read your post, I was immediately scanning to make sure that weren't any other ones around me that I hadn't seen yet. While I was watching, it suddenly took off underwater swimming quickly away from me (I was still at least 20 yards away and it was pointed up wind). I hadn't touched down, so that leads me to believe it was aware of me well before I could hit it. I think your conscience should be clean. ;)

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:51 pm

So all those foilers out there everyday....has anyone ever actually hit a dolphin? The answer seems no.

Benicia Wind
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Benicia CA USA
Favorite Beaches: Benicia CA USA
Style: strapless foil
Gear: DIY foil. NRG surfboard. Jimmy Lewis surfboard. Liquid Force One 12M. Slingshot Rally 9M.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Benicia Wind » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:19 pm

I hit a sturgeon. I saw him just before the hit. He swam right in front of me. Nice crash but didn't hurt me or him.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:59 am

I almost hit a manatee the other day with my foil, at least it's better than a boat prop!

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:13 am

Maybe you didn’t hit a dolphin, but for fun it tackled you.
I’ve had dolphins with their nose in between the props of our twin rig RIB (400mm gap) at over 15kts.
They are in more control than we think

Return to “Hydrofoil”