Local Beach: SoCal
Style: Spastic
Gear: Anything
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: SPI Foiling

Postby chibern » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:42 pm

oregonkiter wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:31 pm
I would like to hear from SPI foilers about conditions Dec-April if we can get this thread back on point? Looking for an alternative to Baja.

Thanks
Sorry! back to the regular programming...

caps
Medium Poster

Postby caps » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:05 pm

I've been to SPI maybe a dozen times, foiling there the last 5 years with a 76 cm mast in the bay. Every year I go, I have great plans to kite the gulf side but end up going to the bay since the wind was so much stronger there. Southerly gulf side winds have disappointed. But if a northerly blows through, game on in the gulf! Foiling the bay side has saved many lightwind days with the shorter mast. But your longer mast on the bayside would be a waste of time. Gulf side with your mast would easily work. My typical week there would include 1 day kiting the gulf with a surfboard on a downwinder- great fun. Other days usually started with a morning foil in the bay followed by a twin tip boost session if the wind picked up. Otherwise, I'd just keep foiling the bay.

Now LV is hands down the best spot for foiling if you compare the two. But for pure variety, SPI is tough to beat if the wind/weather cooperates.

Cheers!
These users thanked the author caps for the post:
chibern (Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:31 am)
Rating: 3.03%

StillLovinIt
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NorCal
Gear: multiple brands

Postby StillLovinIt » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:31 pm

I looked up the wind history for the "South Padre Island" sensor for November on iKitesurf (I have a subscription) and one of the main wind directions is NNW which means it's slightly offshore, see image below. I don't think I would kite on the ocean side on those days, definitely not alone.
iKitesurf SPI wind sensor all tme history for November.png
iKitesurf SPI wind sensor all tme history for November.png (59.81 KiB) Viewed 682 times

In the map image below the SPI sensor is marked with yellow and reading 5 knots when I took the screen shot:
SPI map with wind sensors.png

chibern
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SoCal
Style: Spastic
Gear: Anything

Postby chibern » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:07 am

Yeah, I'll definitely pick and choose my days on the Gulf.

Just trying to weigh the pros and cons for the potential light wind days. Do I just bring a big kite and use a TT/SB or skip the big kite and pack the foil and board? More gear to schlep for foiling than just adding a big kite but it is more fun in light wind to foil than mow the lawn on a TT/SB.

I'm not that excited to foil in the LM since I basically foil flat water at home. I'm a relative beginner foiler and I have a hang-up about dropping back down to my 60cm mast too :D

The Wind Direction plot looks like the # of days are pretty evenly split between NW/SE but the SE direction (favorable for riding on the Gulf-side) tend to be lighter.

foilfun
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hefner, Oklahoma City
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Texas
Style: kite foiling, surfboard, winging
Gear: LP, DT, Cab, NP, Fanatic, Takuma

Postby foilfun » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:49 am

I love SPI foiling in the gulf. November and December are not reliable for SE winds, though (the best direction for the Jetty). The temperature is also hard to anticipate that time of the year. I've been in a shorty for Christmas kiting, but I've also been there for the only two times they've had measurable snow. Brrr However, I keep going back because it's fun and the people there during that time are wonderful.

I've had some incredible waves days on the gulf side foiling (my prefered form of kiting). I've foiled everything from a 3.5m & 590 wing to a 12m & surf wing. All fun. I'm not a bay fan, but the wind usually blows better on that side. So, better than nothing. A 24" or 30" will work if it's high tide, but I've also used a 13" that barely cleared during low tide.

Every year is different, so it's hard to guarantee wind or waves in SPI during winter.
Attachments
wp_ss_20181210_0004.png
Screenshot (359)[27877].png
These users thanked the author foilfun for the post:
chibern (Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:42 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”