Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Slingshot foil board, Cabrinha Skillit
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot Apollo 60 wing

Postby DukeSilver » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:06 pm

caps wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:57 pm
Curious about the difference between the Apollo wing and the 633? I currently ride the 633 and love it. But one thing thatholds me back is fear of falling on the sharp wings. I’m wondering if it’d be worth buying an Apollo for simply learning new foiling skills. I’ve already had a couple war wounds from my 633 which could have been worse if not for my wetsuit. Thoughts?
Well I'm not sure if the Apollo wing would be any less sharp than the 633. It's basically the same wing by the same designer, just 2.4cm narrower. The rear wing on the SS would certainly be safer than the Moses stabiliser though. If you already own the 633, there would be no point in buying the Apollo I would think.

alowishus
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 14
Gear: ozone airush slingshot moses

Postby alowishus » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:03 am

DukeSilver wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:06 pm
caps wrote:
Curious about the difference between the Apollo wing and the 633? I currently ride the 633 and love it. But one thing thatholds me back is fear of falling on the sharp wings. I’m wondering if it’d be worth buying an Apollo for simply learning new foiling skills. I’ve already had a couple war wounds from my 633 which could have been worse if not for my wetsuit. Thoughts?
Well I'm not sure if the Apollo wing would be any less sharp than the 633. It's basically the same wing by the same designer, just 2.4cm narrower. The rear wing on the SS would certainly be safer than the Moses stabiliser though. If you already own the 633, there would be no point in buying the Apollo I would think.
The 633 seems about 25% less expensive than the Apollo, which is interesting.

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Pelican Point Western Australia

Postby DukeSilver » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:33 am

alowishus wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:03 am
DukeSilver wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:06 pm
caps wrote:
The 633 seems about 25% less expensive than the Apollo, which is interesting.
Yes, it is odd. I can only assume it's the collar on the SS wings hat add material or maybe complexity to the construction process. I bought mine on sale from a local shop that was moving out of Slingshot gear. I picked it up for around US$350.

alowishus
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 14
Gear: ozone airush slingshot moses

Postby alowishus » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:30 am

That's a pretty good price Duke.
Now the dilemma of what to do with your H5 wing... :lol:
I don't have the 633, but my personal experience since getting the 683S (with 450 stab) is that I cannot imagine ever going back to the old hoverglide.
Not that it was bad, at all, but the moses wing just has better low end, better top end, more forgiving when switching feet, lighter... a bit like your Apollo experience.
I'll definitely have to try the 633 one day though!

DukeSilver
Medium Poster

Postby DukeSilver » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:21 pm

alowishus wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:30 am
That's a pretty good price Duke.
Now the dilemma of what to do with your H5 wing... :lol:
I don't have the 633, but my personal experience since getting the 683S (with 450 stab) is that I cannot imagine ever going back to the old hoverglide.
Not that it was bad, at all, but the moses wing just has better low end, better top end, more forgiving when switching feet, lighter... a bit like your Apollo experience.
I'll definitely have to try the 633 one day though!
Yes, truth be told, the 683s was going to be my next wing (I bought the Moses/Slingshot adapter), but the Apollo came out and it was a cheaper option than buying the Moses wings and fuse. I'll still get the 683s next year though. But for now, the Apollo scratches the upgrade itch for me. :D

Kitedougiefresh
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Lido, Siesta Key, Turtle
Style: Surf & Swell
Gear: Peak 4 5m
Peak 4 8m
Peak 4 11m
Slingshot Hoverglide w/Apollo 60 & Infinity 84cm wings

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:14 pm

I just got my wing today and will get to use it tomorrow. Is it supposed to mounted into the front of the fuselage or on top? I tried googling it and came up with nothing.

DukeSilver
Medium Poster

Postby DukeSilver » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:53 pm

Kitedougiefresh wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:14 pm
I just got my wing today and will get to use it tomorrow. Is it supposed to mounted into the front of the fuselage or on top? I tried googling it and came up with nothing.
It mounts the same as all the SS Hoverglide wings. Simply slide the collar of the wing onto the fuselage, then place on the bottom of the mast / strut, and tighten the 2 mounting screws from the bottom. If you are still unsure, go on Youtube and search "Slingshot Hoverglide assembly instructions" or similar.

Kitedougiefresh
Rare Poster
Peak 4 8m
Peak 4 11m

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:58 pm

it was more if the mast went into the top of the wing or behind it directly on the fuselage.

DukeSilver
Medium Poster

Postby DukeSilver » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:34 am

Kitedougiefresh wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:58 pm
it was more if the mast went into the top of the wing or behind it directly on the fuselage.
Oh sorry. Well I have the old fuselage so I don't have any option other than on the wing. I works really well there though. Maybe start at the front first then have a go at the rear setting.

Kitedougiefresh
Rare Poster
Peak 4 8m
Peak 4 11m

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:32 pm

First sessions this weekend on foil. Favorite wing without question. Fast stable yet carvy when you ask it to be. Inspired a lot of confidence in me very quickly. When i breached it, i was able to continue riding. My only problem was the amount of front foot pressure needed. I have an alien air and have my mast all the way back and still riding with my front foot in front of neoprene pads. A better rider tried it and had his foot on the pad and he was happy with the setup. My mast is mounted behind the wing so I am going to put the mast on top of the wing like DukeSilver and see what I think of that position. I understand now why the 633 has so many fans. Add me to the list. The most "connected" i have ever felt to a wing.

Return to “Hydrofoil”