Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Hams
Style: Kite surfing strapless. Foil, SUP and ka
Gear: lots
Brand Affiliation: None

Moses/ Slingshot mast adapter updates

Postby Wazza Foil » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:29 am

Hope I can get some updates on the success of the Moses to Slingshot aluminium mast adapter?
Now considering getting one but wondering if it it a viable option?

derek440
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Has thanked: 0

Re: Moses/ Slingshot mast adapter updates

Postby derek440 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:47 pm

I have done this and reckon its great. I have also ridden same foil with a moses mast and it feels the same to me. I got the foilmount adapter but found I had to put my feet too far forward when using this setup so I bought a stringy custom fuse which moves the wings aft solving the problem and now its great. Stringy also makes a custom adapter which moves the wings further aft than the foilmount adapter which move the wings a little further forward. Also I've had no problems with whistling, humming or anything like that and get same top speeds as with carbon mast and no adapter. I reckon its a good thing.
These users thanked the author derek440 for the post:
DukeSilver (Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:36 am)
Rating: 10%

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Pelican Point Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Slingshot foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Postby DukeSilver » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:33 am

I have bought the Stringfellow adapter. It's very nicely engineered and fits very well. I haven't had a chance to try it though. However, I have attached a post from my local forum, Seabreeze, below:

"So I finally got the 683S and the 450 stabiliser and have had a couple of opportunities to try to it out, attached to my Slingshot mast via the Foilmount adapter.

I bought the Foilmount adapter first, rather hastily, and then realised it shifted the mast position towards the back due to the position of the screws. I then bought the 743 "Stringy" fuselage, which shifts the mast forward compared to the standard Moses 710 or 749 fuselage. Alternatively, I could have got the "Stringy" adapter, which shifts the mast forward and used a standard Moses fuselage, but being a TA, I stuck with the Foilmount adapter. The Foilmount adapter and 743 fuselage (which is really more designed for the 633 wing) is a good combination and works well with my 4'6" Dwarfcraft board.

1st session I could definitely notice a noise when cruising downwind at a pretty decent speed, one I hadn't heard before with the hoverglide. I wouldn't quite describe it as a humming, more like the noise a motor or pump does when a bearing is on its way out. Not super annoying tbh and not audible going upwind or normal cruising.

After that session I decided to hack into the adapter to smooth the edges out, make it more hydrodynamic-looking, what I had always intended to do. I had been thinking of how to do it for a little while, and hadn't really settled on a shape, but in the end I just grabbed the b@stard (the file) and ripped into it, conscious of not shaving too much meat off the little piece of aluminium that was the only thing holding my new awesome foil onto my cheap mast. Bit of black metal primer afterward.

2nd session heading downwind quite fast, performance-wise seemed the same as before, but couldn't hear the noise, just the gentle hissing of the mast. Pretty happy with this outcome.

Before:

After:

Comparing the 683S to the hoverglide, I am finding the 683S way better, probably not unsurprising. One unexpected plus though was the weight. The Moses wings and 743 fuselage weigh about 1.6kg compared to the equivalent hoverglide setup, which is 2.7kg. The 1.1kg difference at the end of the 90cm mast makes a HUGE difference and makes everything generally more awesome; from carrying the board, to body dragging and water starts."
These users thanked the author DukeSilver for the post:
Wazza Foil (Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:02 am)
Rating: 10%

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: New brighton beach-Derby pool end,Wallasey, near Liverpool
Favorite Beaches: holidays - Flag beach fuerteventura
Home - New Brighton,Rhosneigr, Ainsdale, Fleetwood, Newbrough
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Groove Skate 130, naked carbon,gold stripes
Moses T38 black, 2020 edition
Indiana foil 120cm
101cm amd 82cm Moses Carbon masts
Moses- 633
Ozone V2 Hyperlink 7mtr
Ozone Chrono V3 UL foil kites - 9/11/13
Ozone Hyperlink V1 ultra light 5mtr
Ozone compact V4 bars,click in, 15-23 mtr lines
massive grin

Postby Foil » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:14 am

happy with my adaptor from the states, Huston kiteboarding sent mine near a year ago
3 days from there to me in the uk with a slingshot mast.

Yes it looks a little odd when fitted with less than perfect smooth lines, but its easy to fit,
the fit is great, solid and no worries about its construction, no humming, no difference to detect at all.

I have given it some brutal "testing" as I learnt to jump using my shorter aluminium mast fitted to my massive 790 moses wing with this little adaptor fitted.

I have resisted the urge to make it more streamlined, as this may make it less perfect in some way.
so yes, buy with confidence, its not expensive and comes with all the spare screws that fit all the Moses fuse selections from now, back to the sharp pointy one.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; SPI; La Ventana
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/91/105cm masts with 590/330 695/425 683s/450 wingsets, Tim's 36" "woody", Slingshot Micro 3'6", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot SST 6m 2018 $480, Slingshot RPM 11m 2018 $600, Core XR4 10m $900, Core XR4 13.5m $980, Core XR4 17m $1075, Slingshot Turbine 5m 2017 like new $450, BROkite carbon board 140x44cm like new complete $650, Slingshot Rally 6m 2017 like new $530, 2019 Slingshot Guardian 17" brand new $260, 2018 Slingshot Guardian 20" bar $190

Postby grigorib » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:16 pm

I’ve got Jim Stringfellow’s adapter for the 30” mast and ended up with 2480 gram 80cm mast all lengths combined, to be used in OBX or any other shallow place. It saves you $500 on carbon mast and you still can ride same great wing set. I could have used a lighter mast pedestal and save myself a pound of weight on the set but I ended up riding 91cm mast in OBX as carbon undoubtedly rides smoother and is lighter to carry.

Return to “Hydrofoil”