kitenight11
Medium Poster
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ultra short lines or wing...?

Postby kitenight11 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:43 pm

Once again me.
What kite would you recommend me for ultra short line and sup (115L) foiling with big (1800cm) wing in 15-25 knt as an alternative to the wingthing?
As additional info, I have never flown a soft kite and have no idea about this stuff. Can I use my ordinary 4 line bar from my other kites (slingy) and only shorten the lines to 2-3 meters?

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:09 am

3m peak4 would be my kite of choice for those conditions, and it does not cost much at all, as a added bonus.

I havent tried the firefly kites, but a 2.5m firefly could be a good alternative option, based on other users reports.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:51 pm

kitenight11 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:43 pm
Once again me.
What kite would you recommend me for ultra short line and sup (115L) foiling with big (1800cm) wing in 15-25 knt as an alternative to the wingthing?
As additional info, I have never flown a soft kite and have no idea about this stuff. Can I use my ordinary 4 line bar from my other kites (slingy) and only shorten the lines to 2-3 meters?

Why use such short lines?

Then you lose all the advantages from kitefoilsurf as I see it, and still have its disadvantages...
A lose-lose.

Wouldnt either a wingfoil or windfoil be much better instead???

8) Peter

kitenight11
Medium Poster

Postby kitenight11 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:57 pm

Hi Peter,
thanķs for the answer. Actually I do kitefoil and have a slingwing with skysup which I do not like very much. Coming from a kite I find it annoying to have such a big thing in front of my nose. I have to admit not having much experience winging, but I prefer the fact of having a harness taking all the weight and balancing the kite with a bar or hands free with having a free view (only my personal opinion). So these are the reasons, I would prefer a very short lined kite. Ease of use at the beach and possibility to kite in offshore (in case something bad happens, selfrescue with big board and short single skin kite seems a lot easier).
I have to book some lessons at flag with Gunnar :-)

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:12 pm

Alternative would be unhooked riding with very small kite and old school style pulley bar /Google tophat bar setup/
Im actually building such setup. I also like Peter think that kite needs some line length to work. You cannot use small kite and very short lines at the same time.

But this all is Terra Incognita and we are pioneers.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:53 am

kitenight11 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:57 pm
Hi Peter,
thanķs for the answer. Actually I do kitefoil and have a slingwing with skysup which I do not like very much. Coming from a kite I find it annoying to have such a big thing in front of my nose. I have to admit not having much experience winging, but I prefer the fact of having a harness taking all the weight and balancing the kite with a bar or hands free with having a free view (only my personal opinion). So these are the reasons, I would prefer a very short lined kite. Ease of use at the beach and possibility to kite in offshore (in case something bad happens, selfrescue with big board and short single skin kite seems a lot easier).
I have to book some lessons at flag with Gunnar :-)
I have invested about 60 hours and 600km into the wings so far and I only kite now in sub 15 knot conditions. Having a window in the wing helps too.

Invest 10 hours into it and then decide.

Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.

Postby Skywalker7 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:52 pm

kitenight11 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:43 pm
Once again me.
I would say put this 1800 cm wing on a regular kitefoil board and take the 5M Peak 4 on a regular or bit shorter line. The easiness of a regular kitefoil board and a small kite could give you much more freedom and fun than riding on sup board but you gonna still have the pumpable foil and you can surf it on the waves.

Sfollis
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ainsdale
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach FUE
Style: Foil board
Gear: Ozone and Moses

Postby Sfollis » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:45 pm

I too will try a kite on short lines with a SUP foil. I’ve tried on land and it seems fine.

I’m just waiting for a day when I can’t go kite foiling (off shore wind, so use a local lake as I don’t think they will kick me off as the lines will be ultra short and hopefully seen as “safe”. Also will need to borrow a SUP foil off a friend 😉.
These users thanked the author Sfollis for the post:
DAnderson (Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:36 am)
Rating: 3.03%

kitenight11
Medium Poster

Postby kitenight11 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:09 pm

Would you recommend for kite sup foiling on 2m lines a closed cell kit like the hyperlink or a landkite like the peak4? It's meant for windspeed from 18-25 Kn - so the equivalent for me with a 4m wing. I have no experiences with foil kites at all till now. I do foilkiting with tube kites for the Moment.

Gurval
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Basket countrie
Style: Wild and disruptif
Gear: Prototypes

Postby Gurval » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:55 pm

I ride with 15m close cell kite from 6 to 15knts and a single skin kite (PL Uniq) from 12 to20+, no lines.
These users thanked the author Gurval for the post:
loco4viento (Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:29 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”