Favorite Beaches: Flag beach FUE
Style: Foil board
Gear: Ozone and Moses
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ultra short lines or wing...?

Postby Sfollis » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:21 am

kitenight11,

I would certainly recommend foil kites for foiling (regardless of considering them for a SUP foil test). Its great not having to remember to take your pump! Joking aside, once you've tried them you may find it difficult to go back to LEI for many reasons. If you intend to try a foil kite on a SUP foil with short lines, I doubt it will make much difference for a test, but if you don't already have one then I suggest buying a Hyperlink 5m UL V1 (if you can get hold of one) or the newer V2 which is similar in weight as then you could use it for regular kite foiling from mind speeds around 20knots and upwards. I expect you would have success with the 5m on a SUP with winds from 16 knots upwards. If I get out before you I will let you know but I must admit its not on the top of my agenda.

Steve

kitenight11
Medium Poster
Gear: North

Postby kitenight11 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:38 pm

Thanks for the help.
So as I know nearly nothihg about foil kites, I searched a bit only and found the following models interesting. What do you recommend for my project with ultra short lines on a foil sup in 15 - 22 knots in 4m?

Ozone explore
Flysurfer peak 4
Gin shaman
Peter Lynn nova

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:18 pm

Peak 4 seems what everyone likes the best. The concept air firefly is another option. viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2404511 viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2405042 viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2403249

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:27 pm

Peak4 - nobrainer

Ozone expore is something like Peak3
Gin shaman too slow turning
Nova is imo too far forward flying for ultrashort lines

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:43 am

I know I'm always banging on about Peak4 kites too, but they would be the first thing I would try with regard to your question about short lines or wing.
They're inexpensive, hang in the air in very little wind, are very responsive with a large wind range. When a doubting kiter has tried one of my Peak4's after questioning its abilities when seeing it as just a loose piece of cloth on the beach, they have so far to a person been very impressed and some have pulled out a credit card on the spot and purchased one :D

In my humble opinion everyone should try a Peak4 just to see why people are talking about it so positively. Bear in mind it's not a kite that will do everything, but with a surf hydrofoil I don't think anything else compares.

Have fun, Dave

kitenight11
Medium Poster

Postby kitenight11 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:21 am

Hi,

if I want to try the peak4 in 4m for sup foiling on short lines, is it necessary to use a very wide bar. I have 3 different slingshot bars, so the question is on which one I shrink the lines to 2 meters?

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:56 pm

hooked or unhooked? Which Peak size?

kitenight11
Medium Poster

Postby kitenight11 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:28 pm

Hooked and 4m

Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.

Postby Skywalker7 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:19 am

Just prepare a 3 meter line extensions or more, just in case of light wind and you will be able to find the sweetspot. I dont think you would go wrong with 5 or 8 meter line lenght, the kite will be still super direct. Let us know how it worked.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:43 am

I once rode using a slingshot b5 2-line foil on 5 meter lines with a 150x39cm homemade board.

The wind was blowing so hard I tested tring to hold the kite by the bridal lines, just to make sure I could actually hold it down without getting lofted.

It worked, and it was a bit of fun after body dragging out to the clean wind. It was very difficult to start, but once I got going it sort of felt like windsurfing.

This was more than 15 years ago, I think. I haven't tried any shorter than 15m since then.

Return to “Hydrofoil”