Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hydrofoiling in 10 knots - Is it that hard?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hydrofoiling in 10 knots - Is it that hard?

Postby joekitetime » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:17 pm

Lots of great posts here and mine will be nothing new.

What I've found is that as I get better, lower winds get easier. The lighter the kite the easier. The cleaner the water (no grass) the easier. The better the fallout (like a beach w/onshore winds) the easier (easier to recover if I drop my kite). The warmer the water the easier. The bigger my foil the easier (although for others small foils work really well).

I think the biggest factor has to do with the lulls when the wind is that light. Almost regardless of how good one is, when the "average 10, gusting to 13 (with lulls of 5) hit, sometimes I just can't keep tension on those kite lines.
These users thanked the author joekitetime for the post:
airsail (Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:38 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:57 pm

You know what, you have a 21mt soul, you can ride no problem above 6 knots

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:51 pm

:thumb:

I wasn’t planning on foiling with the 21 anytime soon. I have Souls from 21 to 6 in every size and a 5m FS Peak 4 and a 1500 wing, so I have the gear side covered. However, this post is not about me. I know I am not the only one with this question. So, I appreciate the comments.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:16 am

juanpasala wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:57 pm
...and be overpowered at 10 kts. On my spot all riders with good basic skills are riding at 6kts of wind with 12m foil kites . I ride a 10m Halo on 16m lines with 510 cm2 front race wing starting at 7/8 kts. Basically, if you can park the kite you can also foil .

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:44 am

10 knots is fine, if a little boring, but it’s the lulls that really ruin it for me. And I refuse to use a kite bigger than 10m.

EDIT: goddamn autocorrect stop changing shit I've already typed three words back.
Last edited by Kamikuza on Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:
jumptheshark (Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:33 am)

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:19 am

I would also say going upwind in lighter winds is easier since you are creating a lot of apparent wind. Going downwind in light air requires a big foil so you can travel slowly and kite that will stay in the air in next to nothing.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:04 pm

we must have strange winds here because no one is out in under 10 knots...no one. i often question these claims of foiling in 6 knots, but have seen videos where the water looks very glassy, so there must be some wind above. regardless, i find kiting in extremely light winds extremely annoying. there's gotta be something better to do when it's 'blowing' 10 knots or less. i can skateboard in the pouring rain...but do i want to?
These users thanked the author jkrug for the post:
jumptheshark (Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:50 pm)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:52 pm

yeah there's always some wind gradient so when you measure 10 knots at the surface maybe it's 15 knots at 20 meters high, or maybe just 10 knots. Suffice to say, when it's light wind it's light wind that's all that matters, don't get stuck on the numbers, and nail that transition so you don't go swimming! I can't wait for the day when my transitions are on point every single time.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:33 pm

jkrug wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:04 pm
we must have strange winds here because no one is out in under 10 knots...no one. i often question these claims of foiling in 6 knots, but have seen videos where the water looks very glassy, so there must be some wind above. regardless, i find kiting in extremely light winds extremely annoying. there's gotta be something better to do when it's 'blowing' 10 knots or less. i can skateboard in the pouring rain...but do i want to?

Glassy or not, from 8 knots I can foil with a 10 m2 tubekite.

And with lighter bigger foilkites, 5-6 knots is the very lowest limit for my 77 kg.
Racers with smaller wings than me, but 20 or 21 m2 kites also out in this on occasion.

A few dont bother below 10 knots especially on this forum, but around here, most racers ride from 6-7 knots, and some freeriders too :thumb:

You can have "cheasy" wind where 10 knots only pulls like 8, or opposite, 10 knots silkysmooth powerful wind, pulling like 12 knots, eventhough you only have 10 knots average measured in 10 meter height, which is the standard used and wind gradient not that important now - it can be both glassy down at the surface, or windchop, still close to 10 knots at the kite, when measured in 10 meters height, so good our weatherstations use this :naughty:

Roughly, below 8 knots it is tricky and often not doable unless special gear (unless wind is measured on the beach which can be pretty useless), but with light kites you can go lower quite fine.

It doesnt matter if you can pull your transitions off or not, regarding how light you can go when marginal - with good kite flying technique you can ride even if you crash, no problems.

8) Peter

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:50 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:33 pm
It doesnt matter if you can pull your transitions off or not, regarding how light you can go when marginal - with good kite flying technique you can ride even if you crash, no problems.

8) Peter
I ride in light enough wind that the kite won't stay in the air if I loose apparent wind even with a foil kite. Not sure of the exact wind speed it's light tho. Then I have to swim in.

Return to “Hydrofoil”