Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

need new foil want speed in light wind

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Benicia Wind
Rare Poster
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:04 pm
Local Beach: Benicia CA USA
Favorite Beaches: Benicia CA USA
Style: strapless foil
Gear: DIY foil. NRG surfboard. Jimmy Lewis surfboard. Liquid Force One 12M. Slingshot Rally 9M.
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Benicia, CA USA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

need new foil want speed in light wind

Postby Benicia Wind » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:12 pm

I'm looking for a new foil. I want to go fast in light wind (8 kn) and don't really care about ultimate top speed. What is possible? 20 knots? At what point do larger wings have the advantage because they can get foiling at a lower speed where perhaps a race foil won't be able to even go? Any recommendations?

xulpix
Rare Poster
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:45 am
Local Beach: Oka, Mont-tremblant, Quebec, Canada
Style: freeride
Gear: Flysurfer Soul 15-10-6m
Moses 101, 790 wing
Brand Affiliation: www.Kitexpress.ca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: need new foil want speed in light wind

Postby xulpix » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:29 am

I would say Moses 101cm mast with 590 wing... a good combo but not the fastest... in opposition to have a early planning in light light wind.

derek440
Medium Poster
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:47 am
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: need new foil want speed in light wind

Postby derek440 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:32 am

I have a duotone spirit GT and I can water-start in 8knots and go 20kn, but I have to use a large kite as I am 100kg, usually R1 17m or Sonic 15m. If I use my bigger foil (moses 683) I can get going on a smaller kite (like my Hyperlink 12m on 17m lines) but can still do about 20kn

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2686
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/82/91/101cm masts with 800/425 695/425 637/420 1000/421 wingsets, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Moses 80cm alu mast $260
.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 225 times
Been thanked: 330 times

Re: need new foil want speed in light wind

Postby grigorib » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:09 pm

In my opinion 590 at 8 knots wind is a bit of a challenge, at least for my 200+ lbs.
683s works magic for me as lighwind setup and i rode 26 MPH on it. Feels pretty fast.
720 wing is fairly speedy and is lightwindish too but I felt too locked, too stable - not playful enough for me.

airsail
Frequent Poster
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:57 am
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3, Sonic 2, Soul, BRM Clouds
Lift and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and North boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: need new foil want speed in light wind

Postby airsail » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:16 pm

Depends on board size, a higher volume board will be able to attain enough speed to get even the smallest race wing flying. Pocket boards need the big wing as they don’t have the ability to travel on the surface at speed.
In the light stuff, 6-10 knots I use a 12 Soul and a Levitaz Bionic. Yes, I could stay easily on the surf foil but find it boring with no wind swell to play with. And why would you want to go just 20 knots, when you can get to 30 knots in 10 knots of wind.

Benicia Wind
Rare Poster
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:04 pm
Local Beach: Benicia CA USA
Favorite Beaches: Benicia CA USA
Style: strapless foil
Gear: DIY foil. NRG surfboard. Jimmy Lewis surfboard. Liquid Force One 12M. Slingshot Rally 9M.
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Benicia, CA USA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: need new foil want speed in light wind

Postby Benicia Wind » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:45 pm

airsail wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:16 pm
Depends on board size, a higher volume board will be able to attain enough speed to get even the smallest race wing flying. Pocket boards need the big wing as they don’t have the ability to travel on the surface at speed.
In the light stuff, 6-10 knots I use a 12 Soul and a Levitaz Bionic. Yes, I could stay easily on the surf foil but find it boring with no wind swell to play with. And why would you want to go just 20 knots, when you can get to 30 knots in 10 knots of wind.
Really ! 30 knots in 10 knots of wind. I got to check this out.

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 10334
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark
Has thanked: 286 times
Been thanked: 354 times

Re: need new foil want speed in light wind

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:16 pm

Benicia Wind wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:12 pm
I'm looking for a new foil. I want to go fast in light wind (8 kn) and don't really care about ultimate top speed. What is possible? 20 knots? At what point do larger wings have the advantage because they can get foiling at a lower speed where perhaps a race foil won't be able to even go? Any recommendations?

Not sure what you seek?

But fast racefoil wings (smaller and faster profile) can ride from 6 knots, when using big foilkites 15-18-21 m2, so when you say 8 knots you can choose any wing you want, just use the right kitesize.

Or do you want a faster freeride wing than your current wing?
And what kite type and size do you have or want?

8) Peter

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1594
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:00 am
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 188 times

Re: need new foil want speed in light wind

Postby tomtom » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:23 pm

kite size and L/D is dominant factor for your goal - any reasonable fast foil can go 20 knts - you need something to pull you that fast,
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:
Peter_Frank (Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:39 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

airsail
Frequent Poster
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:57 am
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3, Sonic 2, Soul, BRM Clouds
Lift and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and North boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: need new foil want speed in light wind

Postby airsail » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:10 pm

Benicia Wind wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:45 pm
airsail wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:16 pm
Depends on board size, a higher volume board will be able to attain enough speed to get even the smallest race wing flying. Pocket boards need the big wing as they don’t have the ability to travel on the surface at speed.
In the light stuff, 6-10 knots I use a 12 Soul and a Levitaz Bionic. Yes, I could stay easily on the surf foil but find it boring with no wind swell to play with. And why would you want to go just 20 knots, when you can get to 30 knots in 10 knots of wind.
Really ! 30 knots in 10 knots of wind. I got to check this out.
I only use my racefoil in under 12 knots, when the water is smooth. Still learning to turn it, tacks are getting there but gybe are just too scary. No way I would own a racefoil only, use it maybe 10% of the time but hopefully more once I improve my skills. My current top speed is 27.3knots, but I’m a newb at this speed stuff.
They are cheap secondhand so I’m happy to have it for those occasional days.


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests