Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Design theory: incidence and CG

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:41 pm

joekitetime wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:44 pm
jumptheshark wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:54 pm
but if I want to have any fun and carve hard, I shift the rear foot back behind the plate and the foil comes alive.

I have no intention of making any comments on this thread (I have to look up too many words and the concepts stagger me)... but...

I have very much found the above comment to be true...

Agree fully.

Moving your rear foot back makes the whole difference, I NEVER stand in front of the mast, and hardly never on top of it...
Of course for fun one can stand with feet close together, but I lose the liveliness and ability to carve and push hard.

Some can ride like this, kudos for that, just not me :roll:

We can never agree on this though, see this old thread, nothing has really changed since then: viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2394011

8) Peter

joekitetime
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Sherman
Style: surf, foil, wake, plywood
Gear: wainman, slingshot, homegrown

Postby joekitetime » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:54 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:41 pm
joekitetime wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:44 pm
jumptheshark wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:54 pm
but if I want to have any fun and carve hard, I shift the rear foot back behind the plate and the foil comes alive.

I have no intention of making any comments on this thread (I have to look up too many words and the concepts stagger me)... but...

I have very much found the above comment to be true...

Agree fully.

Moving your rear foot back makes the whole difference, I NEVER stand in front of the mast, and hardly never on top of it...
Of course for fun one can stand with feet close together, but I lose the liveliness and ability to carve and push hard.

Some can ride like this, kudos for that, just not me :roll:

We can never agree on this though, see this old thread, nothing has really changed since then: viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2394011

8) Peter
For practice I do enjoy putting my feet together, and I try to touch them together and jibe. It gets easier and easier. And it is more relaxing when mowing the lawn, as well as more relaxing when riding toe-side, because you can face more forward with the hips.

But then I get bored and want to start having fun. So, put that foot as far back as possible (which on micro boards isn't all that far), and shift the front foot wherever it needs to be, then get back to the business of trying to surf the foil!

And, incidentally, try to keep my center of gravity (CG) above water!

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:36 pm

Went through a lot of equipment change this season. Threw me for a bit of a loop getting my stance back. In the end I finally stopped looking at my feet and could get it by feel. Pumping really helped me figure this out. First thing I do once up is find the best stance for a few good pumps. The impulse for a good pump is the same impulse for a good hard carve. Cant really feel it before riding and have to it by sight in the water, but It's also the best stance for me to max efficiency in the waterstart.

Same thing after a long trek upwind in a narrow stance. Shift until you can get that sweet spot for pumping and your set for carving off down swell.

Return to “Hydrofoil”