HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Re: Hand screw connecting mast to board

Postby bragnouff » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:22 am

TomW wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:19 pm
I solved this problem by buying a car that's big enough to let me put foil in without disassembly.
Only costs 38,000 dollars....
You'd need to apply that same logic to a jetski to solve norcom's problem...
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post:
Peter_Frank (Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:36 am)
Rating: 3.03%

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby grigorib » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:56 am

TomW wrote:
I solved this problem by buying a car that's big enough to let me put foil in without disassembly.
I had 4 years old PT Cruiser bought for 80 crispy $100 bills (and traded in 16.5 years later for $200 with 222555 miles on odometer). It fit every single foil I owned (MHL->GW->Moses), without a need to disassemble

I think proper kitemobile is a solution, but I like to see where this thread will go. The tightening lever is a good idea, just gotta be in proper location.

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses

Postby PurdyKiter » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:42 pm

Related:
Could someone here PLEASE share their solution for the Moses T-38 four bolt + weird nut Italian concept?
Several times I've been on a fine sand blowing beach with all these parts, with the threads coated in lithium, and trying to have an extra set of required hands. Sucks.

Edit: This is the T-38 without tracks, only 6 holes (2 position)

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:09 pm

PurdyKiter wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:42 pm
Related:
Could someone here PLEASE share their solution for the Moses T-38 four bolt + weird nut Italian concept?
Several times I've been on a fine sand blowing beach with all these parts, with the threads coated in lithium, and trying to have an extra set of required hands. Sucks.

If bolts are loose I'd use silicone to make them stay in place or duck tape on the foot side to keep the bolts in the board while assembling.
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
PurdyKiter (Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:18 pm)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:35 pm

PurdyKiter wrote:
Related:

I had the T40. Those through holes really suck. It's a major pain to put together. One of the many reasons I sold it off cheap. One solution is to put some silicon sealant in the holes and glue in the screws so they stay in the board permanent.
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:
PurdyKiter (Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:32 am)

snowycreek
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sand Bar
Favorite Beaches: Sand Bar
Been thanked: 0

Postby snowycreek » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:32 am

PurdyKiter wrote:
Related:

Hi, I have aT22. Thinner than T38 but same idea with through holes. I like the holes much better than inserts or tracks and now spec that on custom boards.
I never used the hardware supplied by Moses. I use 1/4" hurricane bolts, aka sidewalk bolts. They are available in many different lengths and can be cut to length if needed. Amazon or Ebay very cheap; buy a pack of 25 or more. Head is very flat and you won't know it is there. Below the plate, I put a fender washer and a flange nut. No tefgel or other lube or loctite required. I've left it on for up to 3 weeks foiling every day in salt water without problem. 304 grade SS and it's fine. Throw them away whenever you like.
BTW, I think internal inserts are a big risk. If the thread ever galls/seizes, you have a big problem.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:15 am

I solved the problem by getting a foil with a deep tuttle mount, one piece glider, and a short board. It all dis/assembles in minutes and fits in the boot of my car along with my kites and other gear.

No messing around. No special car. Everything is clean. No scratches on the leather interior of my car. All passenger seats free and usable

Because the stuff fits in so easily I can carry all the stuff I need and everything is easy to find. No pushing and shoving mounds of gear trying to find stuff.

I use Torx screws and a t-handle wrench to spin them in. The T-handle is faster than an electric screwdriver with no risk of cross threading. The Torx screw heads are easy to tighten and never wear.

Just a personal rant. I use J Shapes gear. I see/hear/read of people messing around with shims and stabilisers and nuts and bolts and adjustments and junk from all these so-called major brands. I do none of that. I turn up. Assemble. Go ride. Pack up. Go home. It is effortless. It is pure, endless fun. I will admit to doing a bit of sanding and filling and painting of scratches and chips, maybe every 80-100 hours or so.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:13 pm

bragnouff wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:22 am
TomW wrote:
You'd need to apply that same logic to a jetski to solve norcom's problem...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I REALLY did not want a boat when I bought the jet ski. The jet ski felt more like a motorcycle purchase without the fear of splattering on asphalt. It's a fun toy and it opened up some great foil skill training opportunities. Now I want more wake but a nice wake boat would cost ten of these. I would also need a new car to tow said boat. Logically I should just get a house on the water, with a dock, to park the wake boat. :lol:

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:14 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:15 am
I solved the problem by getting a foil with a deep tuttle mount, one piece glider, and a short board. It all dis/assembles in minutes and fits in the boot of my car along with my kites and other gear.

No messing around. No special car. Everything is clean. No scratches on the leather interior of my car. All passenger seats free and usable

Because the stuff fits in so easily I can carry all the stuff I need and everything is easy to find. No pushing and shoving mounds of gear trying to find stuff.

I use Torx screws and a t-handle wrench to spin them in. The T-handle is faster than an electric screwdriver with no risk of cross threading. The Torx screw heads are easy to tighten and never wear.

Just a personal rant. I use J Shapes gear. I see/hear/read of people messing around with shims and stabilisers and nuts and bolts and adjustments and junk from all these so-called major brands. I do none of that. I turn up. Assemble. Go ride. Pack up. Go home. It is effortless. It is pure, endless fun. I will admit to doing a bit of sanding and filling and painting of scratches and chips, maybe every 80-100 hours or so.

All the same WRT foil transport and car. Can put it all in the back of a VW golf with kites, harness and wet gear and still seat two kids in the back seats.

Also don't deal with shims and what not. Simple assembly takes between 120 and 200 sec. Cant really gripe at that! Sure, a single bolt would be nicer than the four short ones it takes to plate my foil to the board, but I try not to feel too hard done by!

Return to “Hydrofoil”