Thatspeck
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Style: Take the most circuitous route
Gear: Wipika marine wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: First impression of Gong M Pro

Postby Thatspeck » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:33 am

One thing I’m noticing in use, both front and rear wings are remarkably rock damage resistant, at least compared to my Go Foil stuff. I’ll put up with the little bit of extra weight for that.

In the Columbia Gorge, and likely anywhere the current is opposite the wind, I really like having a board that follows me downwind. My Go Foil setup once went off on a beam reach (foil floating) all the way to Oregon while I was stuck in a 5 knot hole, kite in the water. Had it gone towards the Washington side... all rocks.

cescof
Rare Poster
Gear: gong allvator
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby cescof » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:59 am

Hy.... i'm a very begineer kite foiler and i've started last summer season with going M and catch 5.2. The start was really difficult (i had before some attempts with onda 633 smoothed then this) but after some attempts , the foiling mode was ok , very stable and simply, but really really slow. At the end of the season i've started the first jibe and in a flat water whith good success.
Now for the second year i'd like to try the new M pro but looking at gong website i see 2 different ones
https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/ ... pro-clear/ (pro clear)
https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/ ... -wing-pro/ (pro normal)

Anyone to suggest me main differences? just smooth profile or what?
Thanks
Regards

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:08 pm

The Clear Pro Carbon Technology is a real plus in look but not only that. The Wings are even stronger in the event of a collision with the reef.

With this new range, we have added a hole to add a screw on top of the fuselage. The gain in rigidity is enormous. Nothing moves, twists or vibrates. It’s absolutely perfect.
So carbon weave on surface, stronger, new screw hole, stiffer, slightly different shape?, more money.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:48 pm

foilholio wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:08 pm
The Clear Pro Carbon Technology is a real plus in look but not only that. The Wings are even stronger in the event of a collision with the reef.

With this new range, we have added a hole to add a screw on top of the fuselage. The gain in rigidity is enormous. Nothing moves, twists or vibrates. It’s absolutely perfect.
So carbon weave on surface, stronger, new screw hole, stiffer, slightly different shape?, more money.
Not sure. It definitely has the "new hole". I don't get the impression that the shape is at all different. It's not clear in which way the construction is actually different, apart from leaving the carbon weave visible. Does the original MPro not have a carbon weave under the top coat, or is it some kind of moulded composite construction that doesn't utilize "laid up" carbon fabric? As usual the information on the Gong website is a bit cryptic.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:50 am

I was just flicking between images and they looked a bit different, likely the camera angles/scaling though. Doesn't seem reasonable they would make new molds for such minor changes? Gong uses carbon but they say they layup with glass on the finale layer to reduce or eliminate galvanic corrosion. There is no reason they couldn't continue that on this new model as glass is clear. I guess the woven look requires more manufacture time/precision to get nice, vs just painting it black.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:40 am

foilholio wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:50 am
I was just flicking between images and they looked a bit different, likely the camera angles/scaling though. Doesn't seem reasonable they would make new molds for such minor changes? Gong uses carbon but they say they layup with glass on the finale layer to reduce or eliminate galvanic corrosion. There is no reason they couldn't continue that on this new model as glass is clear. I guess the woven look requires more manufacture time/precision to get nice, vs just painting it black.
I don't know. It would be nice if the website were more informative on the exact difference between the wings.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:50 pm

I don't know for sure, but it is surely the exact same wing with a different carbon/ glass layup schedule allowing you to see the carbon, and the extra hole for the screw.
The clear version probably needs more labor and care to get the nice carbon weave, they can't fix any imperfections and paint over it at last step. This will increase number of wings that have to be scrapped due to some small molding imperfection.
So add labor, material, loss of production yield. They add 10% to price...

GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Postby GTC » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:55 pm

I purchased a Gong Pro M and Catch 4'6 this week. It took me some time to understand the differences between their boards and wings range. So I agree with some of you, their website is a total mess. And that's not a subjective criticism, I am web designer :wink: .

The construction looks very solid but there's one thing I would like to consult with you.
There's a notch in the joint between the stab and the fuselage. They don't form a smooth surface. However, the connection between the fuselage and the front wing is perfect. In the images attached you can see what I mean.

By the way, a bit disappointed to see the new Catch FSP at the same price I purchased the Catch 3CS just few days ago...

Regards!
Attachments
IMG_20200227_145008.jpg
IMG_20200227_145018.jpg
These users thanked the author GTC for the post:
1234567Simon (Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:47 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:27 pm

GTC wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:55 pm
I purchased a Gong Pro M and Catch 4'6 this week. It took me some time to understand the differences between their boards and wings range. So I agree with some of you, their website is a total mess. And that's not a subjective criticism, I am web designer :wink: .

The construction looks very solid but there's one thing I would like to consult with you.
There's a notch in the joint between the stab and the fuselage. They don't form a smooth surface. However, the connection between the fuselage and the front wing is perfect. In the images attached you can see what I mean.

By the way, a bit disappointed to see the new Catch FSP at the same price I purchased the Catch 3CS just few days ago...

Regards!
I think you have it on upside down?

Gong's website isn't great ... but that's true of a lot of website's in the kite industry. The Moses website isn't that clear either. Once you understand how they're set up it becomes easier to navigate them. But of course, the idea of a good website is to make the navigation intuitive.

GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Postby GTC » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:13 am

Flyboy wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:27 pm
I think you have it on upside down?

Gong's website isn't great ... but that's true of a lot of website's in the kite industry. The Moses website isn't that clear either. Once you understand how they're set up it becomes easier to navigate them. But of course, the idea of a good website is to make the navigation intuitive.
I don't think so. Looking at the pics on their website the rear wing is in the same position as mine
Attachments
IMG_20200227_144910.jpg
Last edited by GTC on Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hydrofoil”