Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

First impression of Gong M Pro

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: First impression of Gong M Pro

Postby Flyboy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:19 pm

Had my first session on the MPro. Found it very stable & quite fast. I don't have any experience with larger wings, but this seems to me to hit the sweet spot. Im wondering how similar it is to the Moses 683?
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
RalfsB (Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:25 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:23 pm

Looking at the specs, not tried: The moses 679 is comparable to the Gong M Pro.
The Gong M Pro is slightly more speed, agile and drive through carves, with same stability as moses 633. I can feel it, but we are talking about Top speed, agility = 5%, drive and ability to push upwind =10%. Not a lot. Splitting hairs now. Gong M Pro is so close. it costs 500€.( remember I am moses fan old boy)
I strive to simplify my life in all areas. Reduce, reduce. so I'm not going to be carrying around 2-5 foils.
I might go to slightly smaller /faster/ more agile. 5 % more. Maybe new Slingshot phantasm wings.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:54 pm

TomW wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:23 pm
The Gong M Pro is slightly more speed, agile and drive through carves, with same stability as moses 633. I can feel it, but we are talking about Top speed, agility = 5%, drive and ability to push upwind =10%. Not a lot. Splitting hairs now. Gong M Pro is so close. it costs 500€.( remember I am moses fan old boy)
I strive to simplify my life in all areas. Reduce, reduce. so I'm not going to be carrying around 2-5 foils.
I might go to slightly smaller /faster/ more agile. 5 % more. Maybe new Slingshot phantasm wings.
I wasn't aware of the 679. I'm not sure what you're saying Tom? You have Gong M Pro, but not the 679? You're comparing the Gong with the 633? I would expect the Gong to be faster than the 633 as it is significantly smaller.

It seems like Gong have a good product & they have available a full product line with varied wings, mast lengths etc.. The major downside is weight because of the aluminum. On the other hand, a complete Gong foil with 3 different mast lengths costs less than a Moses carbon mast ... & the differences in performance on the water - not that obvious.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:40 pm

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:50 am

Flyboy wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:54 pm

It seems like Gong have a good product & they have available a full product line with varied wings, mast lengths etc.. The major downside is weight because of the aluminum. On the other hand, a complete Gong foil with 3 different mast lengths costs less than a Moses carbon mast ... & the differences in performance on the water - not that obvious.
Recently the first carbon mast for these surf wings appeared on their webshop. One lenght (70cm I believe) only

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:42 am

Peert wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:50 am
Recently the first carbon mast for these surf wings appeared on their webshop. One lenght (70cm I believe) only
100 and 70cm carbon masts. https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/category ... urfoil-en/

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:39 pm

Flyboy wrote:
TomW wrote:
I wasn't aware of the 679. I'm not sure what you're saying Tom? You have Gong M Pro, but not the 679? You're comparing the Gong with the 633? I would expect the Gong to be faster than the 633 as it is significantly smaller.

I have Moses 633. Been on it exclusively 200hrs. Then I bought Gong M Pro because I was curious. Turns out they are very close and Gong is really good compared to 633. I read Moses 679 is more like Gong pro M. I don’t have a moses 679.
Moses 633 is 1250cm2
679 is 990cm2
Gong M Pro is 985cm2 projected and 1089cm2 actual.
Moses doesn't say what area they are measuring, but assume actual.
So Gong M Pro is ~200cm2 smaller, and on paper the moses 679 is more similar.

Downside of aluminium weight is not major. It only effects when on land or carrying out. It's minor. In some ways it's positive because foil doesn't float on side indefinitely like moses does. There's plus and minus of floating foil on water. I hated sinking foil first 3 sessions, but also hated floating moses foil not going downwind. So overall, I now prefer Not floating on the side ( Peter Frank was right!!).

Gong M Pro is smallest surf wing. Next size down is kite wing at 712cm2. I am really curious about that wing. I'd like to see S Pro surf wing at 750cm2 projected, With 690cm span...

Gong Carbon mast is supposed to be stiffer but not significantly lighter than aluminium.
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:
Flyboy (Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:59 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:10 pm

TomW wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:39 pm
Flyboy wrote:
TomW wrote:

I have Moses 633. Been on it exclusively 200hrs. Then I bought Gong M Pro because I was curious. Turns out they are very close and Gong is really good compared to 633. I read Moses 679 is more like Gong pro M. I don’t have a moses 679.
Moses 633 is 1250cm2
679 is 990cm2
Gong M Pro is 985cm2 projected and 1089cm2 actual.
Moses doesn't say what area they are measuring, but assume actual.
So Gong M Pro is ~200cm2 smaller, and on paper the moses 679 is more similar.

Downside of aluminium weight is not major. It only effects when on land or carrying out. It's minor. In some ways it's positive because foil doesn't float on side indefinitely like moses does. There's plus and minus of floating foil on water. I hated sinking foil first 3 sessions, but also hated floating moses foil not going downwind. So overall, I now prefer Not floating on the side ( Peter Frank was right!!).

Gong M Pro is smallest surf wing. Next size down is kite wing at 712cm2. I am really curious about that wing. I'd like to see S Pro surf wing at 750cm2 projected, With 690cm span...

Gong Carbon mast is supposed to be stiffer but not significantly lighter than aluminium.
My LP carbon foil is super light - really easy to carry, sexy to look at. It also feels nice underfoot & is a lot less intimidating if you fall above it ... however I wonder how much of that is just psychological? The benefits of having a selection of (inexpensive) mast sizes are real, depending on the conditions you ride in. It's interesting that Gong's first carbon masts are in 100cm & 70 cm. I would think that 80cm is the current standard for "short/full length"?

It's true that a sinking foil makes recovering your foil after a fall much easier - no body dragging required!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:08 am

Very impressed with my last two outings on the Gong MPro. Wind started at around 12 knots. I was able to get started quite comfortably with a 6m wave kite. Lots of glide but good top speed. Wind picked up to over 20 knots & was still comfortable. Nice.

windfreak74
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 70 kg
Local Beach: la trinchera
Favorite Beaches: maule region
Style: weird style!
Gear: switch helium3 7m 2018
Crazyfly 115 x 44 Chill 2021
nobile 2hd 134x42 2018
Manta foil 2015/2018
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby windfreak74 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:35 am

how much do you weigh flyboy? and how many foil seasons under your belt?

Return to “Hydrofoil”