A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: First impression of Gong M Pro

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:38 am

windfreak74 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:35 am
how much do you weigh flyboy? and how many foil seasons under your belt?
175 -180 lbs. Limited experience - I started foiling about a year ago. My only prior experience is with a Zeeko Alu with Carver wing & an LP carbon foil, also with a 700 sq/cm wing, so I can't compare to other larger wings. The MPro unquestionably starts with much less speed/kite power than the Zeeko or the LP, is significantly more stable & feels almost as fast. Also, in about 7 hours riding the MPro (in open water swells) I don't think I've breached once - you can feel the wing start to cavitate & correct quite easily.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:20 am

Flyboy wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:38 am
windfreak74 wrote:
175 -180 lbs. Limited experience - I started foiling about a year ago. My only prior experience is with a Zeeko Alu with Carver wing & an LP carbon foil, also with a 700 sq/cm wing, so I can't compare to other larger wings. The MPro unquestionably starts with much less speed/kite power than the Zeeko or the LP, is significantly more stable & feels almost as fast. Also, in about 7 hours riding the MPro (in open water swells) I don't think I've breached once - you can feel the wing start to cavitate & correct quite easily.
Just one comment:

Cavitation is when working at extremely high speeds, above 50 knots, wing fully submerged, where the low pressure points around the wing starts to boil and you lose lift, so it is not cavitation.

What you experience is ventilation, when the wing or part of the wing gets to the surface, it will suck air down, and can lose lift either partially or very abruptly.

You also get more experienced, very rapidly, meaning if you rode you "older" foil again, you would probably not ventilate on that one either - meaning it is almost impossible to compare as you are on a steep trip getting better yourself :naughty:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Janus (Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:41 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:22 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:20 am
Flyboy wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:38 am
windfreak74 wrote:
Just one comment:

Cavitation is when working at extremely high speeds, above 50 knots, wing fully submerged, where the low pressure points around the wing starts to boil and you lose lift, so it is not cavitation.

What you experience is ventilation, when the wing or part of the wing gets to the surface, it will suck air down, and can lose lift either partially or very abruptly.

You also get more experienced, very rapidly, meaning if you rode you "older" foil again, you would probably not ventilate on that one either - meaning it is almost impossible to compare as you are on a steep trip getting better yourself :naughty:

8) Peter
Ventilation then. :wink:

However, i'm not sure I agree with the point abut the "older" foil. I had enough time on the LP, for instance, that I felt quite relaxed on it, but every now & then, in swell, it would suddenly "buck" & ventilate & very hard to prevent it from breaching. The M Pro, I was not relaxed on at first, but even then I never breached - I could feel it start to ventilate & was able to correct it. I'm assuming this is the due to the design & anhedral shape of the wing. So - no doubt more experience helps, but I am saying that at my level, it's easier to control ventilation with the M Pro.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:50 pm

I don’t know why, but Gong M Pro seems to ventilate less than moses 633 in carves. Is it because wing is entirely anhedral and not gull wing shaped? Is mast just a few cm longer? Is it because Gong wing generates less lift when pushed?
Also overtaking waves, the Gong is less prone to lift.
What ever it is, this is another performance factor that tips the scales in favor of the Gong.
I hate to say this. I am moses fan-boy.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:38 pm

TomW wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:50 pm
I don’t know why, but Gong M Pro seems to ventilate less than moses 633 in carves. Is it because wing is entirely anhedral and not gull wing shaped? Is mast just a few cm longer? Is it because Gong wing generates less lift when pushed?
Also overtaking waves, the Gong is less prone to lift.
What ever it is, this is another performance factor that tips the scales in favor of the Gong.
I hate to say this. I am moses fan-boy.
It's true that the MPro is definitely longer than 90 cm. I feel like the Gong "re-attaches" the flow more easily when it starts to ventilate.

GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Postby GTC » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:02 pm

Hi all,
I am considering purchasing a Gong HF.
The M Pro wing (1092cm2) sounds like a good option for a beginner but I would like to know how it compares to the Freeride wing (712cm2). Low end speed, top speed, stability...

Thanks in advance

windfreak74
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 70 kg
Local Beach: la trinchera
Favorite Beaches: maule region
Style: weird style!
Gear: switch helium3 7m 2018
Crazyfly 115 x 44 Chill 2021
nobile 2hd 134x42 2018
Manta foil 2015/2018
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby windfreak74 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:59 pm

on the gong forum there was a comment that the wing was to flexy and thin in the 712cm2 . a dislike i believe1

windfreak74
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 70 kg
Local Beach: la trinchera
Favorite Beaches: maule region
Style: weird style!
Gear: switch helium3 7m 2018
Crazyfly 115 x 44 Chill 2021
nobile 2hd 134x42 2018
Manta foil 2015/2018
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby windfreak74 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:02 pm

probably a new s pro wing on the works somewhere in the 750-800cm2 they said they were working on something for the end of 2020.to many thing going on i think

Zamed
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tayo Israel
Style: Free ride foiling
Gear: Gong
Has thanked: 0

Postby Zamed » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:26 pm

GTC wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:02 pm
Hi all,
The M Pro wing (1092cm2) sounds like a good option for a beginner but I would like to know how it compares to the Freeride wing (712cm2). Low end speed, top speed, stability...

Thanks in advance
I have both wings.
I don't like at all the freeride wing (712 cm2). It's not very stable and relatively poor performer at low speeds.
On the other hand, I'm totaly hooked on the M pro wing. It's perfect for my style of riding, which is carving and playing on swell waves.
The only downside for a beginner is that it's more technical to waterstart with a larger wing.
I think that it's a small price to pay, because once you get to handle it, everything else that you'll try will be much more easy to learn.
These users thanked the author Zamed for the post:
GTC (Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:55 pm)

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:09 pm

GTC wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:02 pm
Hi all,

Thanks in advance
I think when you are starting the most difficult thing is the initial water start. There is no avoiding this whether with a smaller wing or bigger wing. It takes trial & error to find the balance point. I'm not sure that a bigger wing makes that easier as it reacts in a more extreme way. However, you can get up at a slower speed & the stability once you are up on the foil is significantly better with the bigger wing, so I think I would recommend the M Pro.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
GTC (Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:55 pm)

Return to “Hydrofoil”