A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: First impression of Gong M Pro

Postby Flyboy » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:51 pm

Thatspeck wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:18 pm

Pretty sure it's identical to the aluminum surf fuselage, 21.5" comes to mind (edit: just confirmed, fuse is 21.5", 54.5cm overall length on the carbon). I checked before buying that it would fit in my golf bag and it's no problem. My bag will fit a 5' board so it was the fuse I was concerned about. This thing is really a work of art, finish is better looking to me than the Go Foil stuff I have in the US. I've no use for the giant suitcase it came in though, nice but it's a checked bag by itself...
How wide is your golf bag? The mast/fuselage will fit in (just) but the fuselage is 3 inches wider than the board I use (which is 18" wide) which means it sticks out & distorts the shape of the bag ... which is a bit worrying given the way they throw stuff around in cargo handling.

Thatspeck
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Style: Take the most circuitous route
Gear: Wipika marine wing

Postby Thatspeck » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:55 am

My board seems to be about 19" wide, the bag, hard to say due to it's somewhat cylindrical flexible shape. It's big enough for board, mast, m/l/xl wings, two (tiny) kites, bar, pump,wetsuit, but that's getting up near 30Kg. The bag is an older Naish model with too much Naish and not nearly enough Golf placarding, the Condor check in guy spotted it instantly the other day. Doesn't seem to matter anymore anyway with the airlines I'm taking, golfers get charged too.

Suffice to say, the bag is big enough to allow for 1"+ on each tip of the fuselage. I may even cut up the foam of the Gong mast suitcase, then glue it back together when I get back to Oregon (if I can even get back to Oregon given the current hysteria...)

Looking forward to trying the medium pro in 25+ with the 4.4 Unik...

GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Postby GTC » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:24 pm

GTC wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:55 pm
I purchased a Gong Pro M and Catch 4'6 this week. It took me some time to understand the differences between their boards and wings range. So I agree with some of you, their website is a total mess. And that's not a subjective criticism, I am web designer :wink: .

The construction looks very solid but there's one thing I would like to consult with you.
There's a notch in the joint between the stab and the fuselage. They don't form a smooth surface. However, the connection between the fuselage and the front wing is perfect. In the images attached you can see what I mean.

By the way, a bit disappointed to see the new Catch FSP at the same price I purchased the Catch 3CS just few days ago...

Regards!
I contacted Gong and they immediately took care of the problem. The process took 10 days and they replaced the original stab. All shipping costs were paid by them. The new Stab fits perfectly and the notch is barely noticeable.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:41 pm

GTC wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:24 pm
GTC wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:55 pm
I purchased a Gong Pro M and Catch 4'6 this week. It took me some time to understand the differences between their boards and wings range. So I agree with some of you, their website is a total mess. And that's not a subjective criticism, I am web designer :wink: .

The construction looks very solid but there's one thing I would like to consult with you.
There's a notch in the joint between the stab and the fuselage. They don't form a smooth surface. However, the connection between the fuselage and the front wing is perfect. In the images attached you can see what I mean.

By the way, a bit disappointed to see the new Catch FSP at the same price I purchased the Catch 3CS just few days ago...

Regards!
I contacted Gong and they immediately took care of the problem. The process took 10 days and they replaced the original stab. All shipping costs were paid by them. The new Stab fits perfectly and the notch is barely noticeable.
So (presumably) there was a small flaw in the internal shaping of the stab?

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:28 am

Regarding the weight of the setup: I just got my M Pro wing with the 40cm surf stab and the 70cm carbon mast (which includes the fuselage and the plate mount in one piece), it all together weights 3363 grams. Everything fits together nicely, the workmanship is perfect and it all looks very sturdy.

DRAZ
Frequent Poster
Gear: OR
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DRAZ » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:34 pm

RalfsB wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:28 am
Regarding the weight of the setup: I just got my M Pro wing with the 40cm surf stab and the 70cm carbon mast (which includes the fuselage and the plate mount in one piece), it all together weights 3363 grams. Everything fits together nicely, the workmanship is perfect and it all looks very sturdy.
What made you choose the 70cm? I'm debating the all carbon but ideally would like something in the 90cm.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:28 pm

DRAZ wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:34 pm
RalfsB wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:28 am
What made you choose the 70cm? I'm debating the all carbon but ideally would like something in the 90cm.

There is currently only a choice between 70cm & 100cm in the carbon Gong.

To put weight in perspective: my LP foil which has a 100 cm mast & a 700 sq cm front wing weighs in at 2600 gms. The longer mast & smaller wing of the LP might more or less cancel out (I will check at some point) ,meaning that the LP foil is considerably lighter. However, it's possible that the Gong set up, with integrated mast & fuselage may be stiffer - in fact the mast itself may be more heavily built & stiffer - & I have a feeling that that makes more difference to performance than weight.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:38 pm

Why would you talk about "performance" of a supershort 70 cm SUP foil mast?

But okay, if you are heavy, a soft mast is not fun for surf either, true :roll:

8) Peter

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:26 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:38 pm
Why would you talk about "performance" of a supershort 70 cm SUP foil mast?

But okay, if you are heavy, a soft mast is not fun for surf either, true :roll:

8) Peter
:?:

We were considering the weight of the Gong carbon set-up, which also comes in a 100 cm mast. We don't have an example of the 100 cm to weigh, so extrapolating from the 70 cm length.

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites

Postby kiteykitekite » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:13 am

70cm is not super short. You need to ride waves to understand why you would use shorter mast. Often riding in water only deep enough to fit the wing only, a longer mast does not help.

Return to “Hydrofoil”