Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

First impression of Gong M Pro

Postby TomW » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:00 pm

I've been riding Moses 633 for 2 years. After first year on small 550 and 590 wings. I absolutely love my 633 wing and have total of about 350 hrs of foiling over 3 years.
Weight is 76kg stripped and use Hyperlink kites.

Today was 5-6ms and I was on 9m Hyperlink with just enough power at low end.

I took out the Moses for 30min to get " warmed up" . It was 4c...

Then I rode Gong M Pro with 40cm stab and 90cm mast 30 min after 30 min on Moses.
After 10 min getting acquainted, I was very impressed. The Gong is a great foil and actually better than the Moses 633 ( pains me to say it!!).
It's a great set up. Only 2 things are negative.1. the foil will not float on side indefinitely like Moses does. 2. It whistles. Theses are small issues that required me to refine my starting technique. The whistles can most likely be solved, but not sure.

Gong M Pro compared to Moses 633: seems slightly faster, better at maintaining speed into, in and out of turns, better stability at speed in all 3 axis, but still as agile or more as Moses 633 in all speeds and point of sail.. Slightly less prone to tip breaches.

I have a 2016 Moses 93cm mast and it has tendency to ' catch' on side chop. My hypothesis is it's due to curved mast and thick profile at base. The Gong sliced much smoother, and stood up to pushing hard to windward better.

I struggled to get started due to being spoiled by Moses floating on side. Plus, needs a bit more forward speed to lift, it's not much. Just a bit more aggressive in kite and you pop up. After 3-4 tries I figured it out.

Doing heel to toe side flying tacks were easier. I think due to speed being maintained better thru turn.

I would recommend the Gong M Pro with 40cm stab and 90 cm mast for dedicated beginners and advanced riders, that will be good to grow on. It's basically a slightly better Moses 633.
If you are more timid, the M Pro with 55cm stab and 80cm mast might be a good step in.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: First impression of Gong M Pro

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:26 pm

What sizes are we talking about in cm2 (and span apart from the 40 and 55 cm) for the 3 wings and stabs you mention here, just so we have an idea what you are comparing?

Having it NOT float is a big plus IMO, as long as it don't drop fast like an alu foil.

8) Peter

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:50 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:26 pm
What sizes are we talking about in cm2 (and span) for the 3 wings and stabs you mention here, just so we have an idea what you are comparing?

Having it NOT float is a big plus IMO, as long as it don't drop fast like an alu foil.

8) Peter
The M pro is 985cm2 projected, 1092 cm2 top surface developed. 69cm span. Profile is noticably thicker and rounded on LE compared to Moses 633. The stab is 40cm span. The smallest, no area declared.

The Moses 633 is 1200cm2 and much lower aspect. It has 483mm span on stab. 633 is more like Gong M Classic.

I agree sinking vs floating is personal preference and frequently I have to body drag up to my side-floating foil that won't drift downwind! So it's not always good. This foil sinks, but not too fast I think, as I don't have any experience with other foils.

Honestly, the Gong is a fantastic value for the money, without any significant trade-offs. Good to have competition, and it seems Gong has economicaly sustainable and morally justified business modell and supply chain. I'm not a fan of Chinese companies copying and/or selling uneven quality products D2C.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:54 pm

Anyone have suggestions to fill torx screw heads and small gaps in parts? I think that's where the whistles originate.
I was thinking soft wax or non hardening putty of some sort.

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Postby robclaisse » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:03 pm

What is the weight like of M pro setup? I have used the larger surf wings and they are pretty heavy (but cheap prices) where as the Moses are light. Not something that bother some people - I used to not care about weight but can see the advantages now, along with the price increases ;-)

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:31 pm

TomW wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:54 pm
Anyone have suggestions to fill torx screw heads and small gaps in parts? I think that's where the whistles originate.
Hi Tom,
thanks for your report as also having an eye on M pro since while as using M classic for kite and wing.

I would be sure you can beat the whistles, filling holes is never wrong, but more likely you will have success when looking at the normaly at all GONG surf foils I have too round trailing edges. Try to make them more square or additionally with 30° on the high pressure side, just check several videos about that which you can find. And go small step by step killing the whistle is always on the end try and error as a to complex phenomen to give a simple answer fitting for all foils.

Just one more question:
Have you experience in pumping your moses with or without kite and have you tried it with the gong. At least in this disciplin the 633 felt to me very much on the top also as mono, so would be interesting how the gong is. The gong classic M is here not really good.
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
TomW (Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:27 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:32 pm

Hej Horst,

Thanks for tip on sanding, I'll give it a try.

I'm not much into pumping foil. But I do sometimes. So take my answer on that premise.
I find Moses does not pump well, I don't seem to get any drive from it. I've always assumed I don't know how to do it. I pumped the gong a few times to get a feel for pitch, and it seemed to have more drive than Moses. (I wonder if bigger stab would be better for pumping. )

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:37 pm

robclaisse wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:03 pm
What is the weight like of M pro setup? I have used the larger surf wings and they are pretty heavy (but cheap prices) where as the Moses are light. Not something that bother some people - I used to not care about weight but can see the advantages now, along with the price increases ;-)
I have not weighed it. Front wing is definitely heavier than Moses 633. Feels more durable too. Mast is aluminum, so it's heavier. Overall my guess it's 1-1,5kg heavier for whole set. Can't feel any difference while flying attributed to weight.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:14 pm

TomW wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:54 pm

Maybe, but I am not sure about that, I think it is something close the, or the very, trailing edge of "something".

I once had one that made noise, and I put tape on all screw heads which you can do right away, did not make any difference.

Also put tape around the joints here and there, as IF it came from there, it should at least change noise (as impossible to make a perfect fairing with tape).

Didnt change anything.

Found out it was the stab, one side of the trailing edge needed just a tad of sanding, and the noise were all gone !!!

But put tape on the screw heads Tom, then you will know right away if thats the root cause or not, without filling anything unnecessarily :thumb:

Thanks for the sizing.

So Gong M is 4.4 in AR where the Onda is 3.3 only, yes.

8) Peter

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:17 am

TomW wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:00 pm

Then I rode Gong M Pro with 40cm stab and 90cm mast 30 min after 30 min on Moses.
After 10 min getting acquainted, I was very impressed. The Gong is a great foil and actually better than the Moses 633 ( pains me to say it!!).

hi Tom . . .

I have not used the 633 but ride the 683S. Just a comment from my experience.

You said you were using the 633 with the 483 stab. The stab makes a big difference to how the front wings work so I do think your comparison and comments are only valid for the 483 stab setup. I ditched the 483 stab from my 683S as it is not the best stab for carving in my opinion (though I did think it was great at the start). I wonder if most of the comparison comments would be the the same if you had ridden the Gong M Pro with the 45 or bigger stab.

My friend has the Gong M pro with the 45cm stab but I have yet to try it so hard to comment against what I ride as I could only comment based on what I see of him riding it and he has less experience than me. Like you, he did say that he had to adjust his take off method compared to his other foils.

On another note, the M Pro wing size seems bigger than the specified area when compared by eye to other similarly stated area wings but I have yet to take any measurements.

Return to “Hydrofoil”