Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: First impression of Gong M Pro

Postby tomi3000 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:43 am

Flyboy wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:46 pm
tomi3000 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:27 am
Can you check what is the total height of assembled Gong M pro foil, including the to plate, when standing it on the floor? I am trying to find out if I can get away with 90cm mast as I am lazy and I like to keep my foil and board assembled when putting in in the back of my car. This wing looks like it has a bit of a curve and I think I will need to settle on 80 cm mast to be able to fit it in assembled.
0.99 cm (39"). This includes the curve of the front wing.

I'm happy to say that it fits fully assembled with the board (3'6" Dwarfcraft) into the back of my Kia Soul, which is very handy as I never have to assemble & disassemble it. :thumb:
I thought the curved wing would add up to the total length. I will be getting 80cm mast. It looks like Gong foils are now on backorder until early July.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:18 pm

tomi3000 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:43 am
Flyboy wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:46 pm
tomi3000 wrote:
Can you check what is the total height of assembled Gong M pro foil, including the to plate, when standing it on the floor? I am trying to find out if I can get away with 90cm mast as I am lazy and I like to keep my foil and board assembled when putting in in the back of my car. This wing looks like it has a bit of a curve and I think I will need to settle on 80 cm mast to be able to fit it in assembled.

I'm happy to say that it fits fully assembled with the board (3'6" Dwarfcraft) into the back of my Kia Soul, which is very handy as I never have to assemble & disassemble it. :thumb:
I thought the curved wing would add up to the total length. I will be getting 80cm mast. It looks like Gong foils are now on backorder until early July.
Remember that it might (theoretically) be possible to put the ensemble at a bit of an angle, but obviously it would depend on the exact configuration of your car. In my case, the wings fits in the space between the back of the front seats & the front of the back seats when they are lowered & the board across the back.

tomi3000
Rare Poster
Weight: 80 kg
Favorite Beaches: sandy with good parking and no dogs
Style: strapless, freeride
Gear: FS Peak

Postby tomi3000 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:56 pm

Flyboy wrote:
tomi3000 wrote:

My previous foil was Zeeko and for some reason 90 cm mast was only 86 cm long. With the foil having relatively flat wings I was able to slide the foil and board on it's side in the back of my estate car but it was already a tight fit with the foil across the whole width of boot space especially if I wanted to use board bag and sleeve for the foil to keep the car clean from sand.

tomi3000
Rare Poster

Postby tomi3000 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:14 pm

Has anyone had any luck ordering foil setup from Gong with mast of different length then specified on the website? They sell alu masts 45, 65, 80, 90 cm. I wanted to order kitefoil setup but instead of alu mast 90 cm to order it with 80 cm but I am getting nowhere when communicating with customer service and they are asking me to build the setup I want from parts instead when I only want them to swap a mast for shorter one before shipping. The thing is some of the items like transport bag are out of stock in their shop and the total cost of single parts is more than when buying it as a set. I know I could buy the standard mast 90 cm and then cut it, tap the holes but would need to order tools for that etc. Frankly don't understand this approach from Gong, maybe someone can let me know if I am being unreasonable and should just get on with it.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:20 pm

tomi3000 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:14 pm
Has anyone had any luck ordering foil setup from Gong with mast of different length then specified on the website? They sell alu masts 45, 65, 80, 90 cm. I wanted to order kitefoil setup but instead of alu mast 90 cm to order it with 80 cm but I am getting nowhere when communicating with customer service and they are asking me to build the setup I want from parts instead when I only want them to swap a mast for shorter one before shipping. The thing is some of the items like transport bag are out of stock in their shop and the total cost of single parts is more than when buying it as a set. I know I could buy the standard mast 90 cm and then cut it, tap the holes but would need to order tools for that etc. Frankly don't understand this approach from Gong, maybe someone can let me know if I am being unreasonable and should just get on with it.
You're not being unreasonable. I have found communications with Gong a bit problematic. They reply pretty promptly & courteously, but don't seem to properly address the question asked. On the positive side, they do seem to be gradually expanding their line to include more & more options & already have probably the most comprehensive variety of masts/wings/boards options available.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
tomi3000 (Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:58 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

Windigo1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Aylmer
Style: Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:33 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:20 pm
tomi3000 wrote:
You're not being unreasonable. I have found communications with Gong a bit problematic. They reply pretty promptly & courteously, but don't seem to properly address the question asked. On the positive side, they do seem to be gradually expanding their line to include more & more options & already have probably the most comprehensive variety of masts/wings/boards options available.
I did just that I bought the M-Pro combo and asked to swap the mast for an 80cm and they obliged without any issues.
These users thanked the author Windigo1 for the post:
tomi3000 (Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:58 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

tomi3000
Rare Poster

Postby tomi3000 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:50 pm

Windigo1 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:33 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:20 pm
tomi3000 wrote:
I did just that I bought the M-Pro combo and asked to swap the mast for an 80cm and they obliged without any issues.
Can you PM me contact email for the sales rep you were dealing with to get this sorted? I might have drawn a short straw when contacting the shop and the rep I am stuck with is not willing to budge.

lightwind
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Velika plaza, Ulcinj
Gear: Gong strutless 10, Gong Unik 6.8, Gong foil M pro wing, Gong foil board 3CS 4.6

Postby lightwind » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:32 pm

I had the same issue with one of the guys from Gong when ordering foil. At the end I ordered normally and in comment section of the order I added notice that I want different mast length. It took me three days of emailing to explain to the guy what I need.

Zamed
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tayo Israel
Style: Free ride foiling
Gear: Gong
Has thanked: 0

Postby Zamed » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:02 pm

Try to talk with Jaime. He's Gong's no. 1 international sales man and also happen to be an American nice guy, so no french is needed...

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 90cm, 110cm
Gong Pro M, 90 cm mast
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:41 pm

Gong has increased orders 3x compared to last year and has been hiring new people to cope. I suspect that will have some initial rough spots. So far ive gotten good service, even when I changed my mind 3 times on an order and messed up the payments...

Return to “Hydrofoil”