Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

First impression of Gong M Pro

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: First impression of Gong M Pro

Postby Flyboy » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:49 am

Yeah, that's correct. Mine seems to fit more tightly, but there is still a little bit of a "notch".

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:43 am

TomW wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:50 pm
I don't know for sure, but it is surely the exact same wing with a different carbon/ glass layup schedule allowing you to see the carbon, and the extra hole for the screw.
The clear version probably needs more labor and care to get the nice carbon weave, they can't fix any imperfections and paint over it at last step. This will increase number of wings that have to be scrapped due to some small molding imperfection.
So add labor, material, loss of production yield. They add 10% to price...

They could lay up both the same and just paint and sell the defects as the normal pro...Maybe previous methods couldn't achieve the bare weave look well enough but now they can.

Thatspeck
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Style: Take the most circuitous route
Gear: Wipika marine wing

Postby Thatspeck » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:01 am

GTC wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:55 pm
I purchased a Gong Pro M and Catch 4'6 this week. It took me some time to understand the differences between their boards and wings range. So I agree with some of you, their website is a total mess. And that's not a subjective criticism, I am web designer :wink: .

The construction looks very solid but there's one thing I would like to consult with you.
There's a notch in the joint between the stab and the fuselage. They don't form a smooth surface. However, the connection between the fuselage and the front wing is perfect. In the images attached you can see what I mean.

By the way, a bit disappointed to see the new Catch FSP at the same price I purchased the Catch 3CS just few days ago...

Regards!
Looking at mine on the aluminum fuse, it's definitely smoother (40cm surf stab). Of course it will make absolutely no discernible difference in performance, just aesthetic.
Just got the 100cm carbon mast/fuse (which appears to be fantastic quality), will report back...

BTW; How did you get on the Gong forum? I've registered twice over the past six months, two different usernames, checked my spam, no response after the initial form email.
Sent several follow up emails to the administrator as well :roll: At least their customer service response on the product end is quite good.

GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Postby GTC » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:15 pm

Thatspeck wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:01 am
GTC wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:55 pm
I purchased a Gong Pro M and Catch 4'6 this week. It took me some time to understand the differences between their boards and wings range. So I agree with some of you, their website is a total mess. And that's not a subjective criticism, I am web designer :wink: .

The construction looks very solid but there's one thing I would like to consult with you.
There's a notch in the joint between the stab and the fuselage. They don't form a smooth surface. However, the connection between the fuselage and the front wing is perfect. In the images attached you can see what I mean.

By the way, a bit disappointed to see the new Catch FSP at the same price I purchased the Catch 3CS just few days ago...

Regards!
Looking at mine on the aluminum fuse, it's definitely smoother (40cm surf stab). Of course it will make absolutely no discernible difference in performance, just aesthetic.
Just got the 100cm carbon mast/fuse (which appears to be fantastic quality), will report back...

BTW; How did you get on the Gong forum? I've registered twice over the past six months, two different usernames, checked my spam, no response after the initial form email.
Sent several follow up emails to the administrator as well :roll: At least their customer service response on the product end is quite good.
I sent the fuselage and stab back to Gong so they can have a look.
I had the same problem with the Forum... Finally after 1 month I received the confirmation of my account activation.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:03 pm

Thatspeck wrote:

The carbon mast only comes in the 100cm & 70cm lengths. I asked Gong whether they were going to make other lengths. Their answer was that they are not planning on that at the minute & the 70 cm carbon mast was intended for surfers & the 100 cm mast was intended for expert kite foilers. This is a bit of an odd characterization in the present kite foiling climate. With the larger wings available the trend has been for kiters to use shorter, rather than longer masts. I'm thinking that 80 cm may represent the sweet spot at the minute for a lot of kite foilers using surf wings.

DRAZ
Frequent Poster
Gear: OR
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DRAZ » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:33 pm

Thatspeck wrote:

Do you mind measuring the fuselage length? Want to see if I could travel with this setup or if I need to stick with the aluminum setup.

Thanks

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:34 pm

Agree somewhat Flyboy.

The 70 cm is only for SUP foiler or similar yes, not for kitefoiling (very very few like this short one).

And the sweetspot for "most" riders today, is between 90 and 95 cm which IMO would be the choice to make, besides a 70 cm for SUP, if you only would offer 2 mast lengths.

Personally I would have no issues with a 100 cm mast, but looking at others, I think closer down to 90 cm is the "golden" length that can satisfy the most kitefoilers :thumb:

On the other hand, they got the two "extremes" now, one for big wave chop or speed, and one for SUP and low water riding - so they CAN make an "in between" 85 cm later, which might suit many foilers :naughty:

8) Peter

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:36 pm

My stab to fuselage joint is perfectly aligned. I'd send it back if not a huge hassle.
That way they get some hassle and know it's wrong and can feedback to production.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:13 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:34 pm
Agree somewhat Flyboy.

The 70 cm is only for SUP foiler or similar yes, not for kitefoiling (very very few like this short one).

And the sweetspot for "most" riders today, is between 90 and 95 cm which IMO would be the choice to make, besides a 70 cm for SUP, if you only would offer 2 mast lengths.

Personally I would have no issues with a 100 cm mast, but looking at others, I think closer down to 90 cm is the "golden" length that can satisfy the most kitefoilers :thumb:

On the other hand, they got the two "extremes" now, one for big wave chop or speed, and one for SUP and low water riding - so they CAN make an "in between" 85 cm later, which might suit many foilers :naughty:

8) Peter
I already have a 100 cm mast with 700 cm wing with my LP foil set up. I got a 65 cm & 90 cm mast with my Gong alu. In general, I'm happy using the 100 cm mast or the 90cm mast to foil. I imagine the fuselage on the carbon Gong would be the exact same size as the aluminum fuselage, because the idea is that you can use the existing wings on it. I tried putting the 90 cm mast + fuselage in my traveling "golf bag" - it's barely possible if you put the mast at a bit of an angle, which is a little precarious if the bag got banged hard. An 80 cm mast would fit a little bit more easily.

It seems like there was a trend in the last couple of years to use 70 cm masts with the surf wings - see the Onda with 71 cm mast, for example. I don't know if this has played itself out a bit? I think an 80 cm would be adequate to avoid breaching (I don't know, haven't tried one that length), so I think an 80 cm Gong mast with the integrated fuselage would work well & would work OK for traveling. Gong said they have no immediate plans to release that size (or 90 cm) which I think is maybe a mistake, since I imagine there might be more buyers for a 80 or 90 cm mast than 100 cm these days?

Thatspeck
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Style: Take the most circuitous route
Gear: Wipika marine wing

Postby Thatspeck » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:18 pm

DRAZ wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:33 pm
Thatspeck wrote:

Do you mind measuring the fuselage length? Want to see if I could travel with this setup or if I need to stick with the aluminum setup.

Thanks
Pretty sure it's identical to the aluminum surf fuselage, 21.5" comes to mind (edit: just confirmed, fuse is 21.5", 54.5cm overall length on the carbon). I checked before buying that it would fit in my golf bag and it's no problem. My bag will fit a 5' board so it was the fuse I was concerned about. This thing is really a work of art, finish is better looking to me than the Go Foil stuff I have in the US. I've no use for the giant suitcase it came in though, nice but it's a checked bag by itself...

As to mast length, I've been on the 80cm aluminum and had plenty of breach/crashes in the bigger swells. I did just start this nonsense in the fall though so bear that in mind. The large Pro is also a lot of wing in "high energy" water, even at 90Kg so I'm really looking forward to having an extra 20cm underwater.

They just shipped my 5 meter wingding so maybe everything is about to change... :naughty:

Return to “Hydrofoil”