Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Injury in the hand, first sesion foiling! Just be aware!

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Injury in the hand, first sesion foiling! Just be aware!

Postby UKSurf » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:29 pm

cwood wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:40 pm
Bad luck. I have many hundreds of hours foiling, much are the sharpest of race wings and never even a nick. I expect that some day it will happen, that's why I wear a helmet and wetsuit most of the time. I see people with no helmets and think they are insane, not for head injury but from blunt strikes or sharp strikes that will definitely open you up.
I think you are right there. Saw someones head split open like a banana from a twin tip impact once. Hydrofoil could be alot worse and being knocked out in the water is a very bad scenario.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Injury in the hand, first sesion foiling! Just be aware!

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:44 pm

Are you trying to learn on a tall mast? I know lots of people did that, including two of my friends, but it seems unnecessarily difficult when you can get shorter masts to learn on and then progress to longer masts. At least for an old dude like me that helped enormously.

Return to “Hydrofoil”