Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Who's (still) riding fast foils?

Postby TomW » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:43 pm

I am looking to downsize from the 1200cm Moses 633. The Gong M Pro is slightly smaller and higher aspect. It's a nice change.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:09 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:20 am
It seems like those riding with straps are the only ones (taken in general...) that use the small fast wings?

Early days we used these small faster ones 550 to 650 cm2 strapless, no issues when used to it.

Today these just feels wrong to me, strapless, its like you have to rig a different kitesize and also turn very different in the carves somehow, especially if on the low powered side.

So going up in size 650 cm2 and up for the average weight strapless rider seems the standard now somewhat, is my take on this.

Whereas with straps, definitely go smaller and faster, soooo much fun to blast along and jump, yes :thumb:

8) Peter
exactly,
even using the two front straps with the back strap either removed or never used, you can never really lock the board down for maximum speed and stability, and all feet locked down enable you to lever in the tiny pressure adjustments to prevent or reduce the chance of exploding off into your own cloud of spray.

But for me converting to using all straps all of the time was not easy, sounds easy, but just going from 2 straps to 3 on all sea states at maximum speed takes a lot of getting used to, feeling like a complete beginner in the first wobbly attempts, it took me maybe 3 months and my weak side is still not as fast as my good side, measured at 5 knts slower which is a lot, big improvement still to make as well for jumping on my weak side
but now after many many sessions later, I wonder why I never started this 3 strap foiling years ago, maybe I did and just found it too hard to master.
but of course for jumping big, there is little choice.
I did say at one time I was not interested in ever trying to jump, that changed very quickly with my first very feeble attempts.now I am totally hooked.

one strange fact from my foil jumping experience is,
why is my bad weak side the complete opposite side to when I used to boost big on my Ttip, my foiling weak side is the side I could kite loop on landing full chat, even double loop if you count the little landing loop,
my old good side is now flipping useless at boosting the foil, but I am working on it, so it will get better, I hope.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:23 pm

Foil wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:09 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:20 am
It seems like those riding with straps are the only ones (taken in general...) that use the small fast wings?

Early days we used these small faster ones 550 to 650 cm2 strapless, no issues when used to it.

Today these just feels wrong to me, strapless, its like you have to rig a different kitesize and also turn very different in the carves somehow, especially if on the low powered side.

So going up in size 650 cm2 and up for the average weight strapless rider seems the standard now somewhat, is my take on this.

Whereas with straps, definitely go smaller and faster, soooo much fun to blast along and jump, yes :thumb:

8) Peter
exactly,
even using the two front straps with the back strap either removed or never used, you can never really lock the board down for maximum speed and stability, and all feet locked down enable you to lever in the tiny pressure adjustments to prevent or reduce the chance of exploding off into your own cloud of spray.

But for me converting to using all straps all of the time was not easy, sounds easy, but just going from 2 straps to 3 on all sea states at maximum speed takes a lot of getting used to, feeling like a complete beginner in the first wobbly attempts, it took me maybe 3 months and my weak side is still not as fast as my good side, measured at 5 knts slower which is a lot, big improvement still to make as well for jumping on my weak side
but now after many many sessions later, I wonder why I never started this 3 strap foiling years ago, maybe I did and just found it too hard to master.
but of course for jumping big, there is little choice.
I did say at one time I was not interested in ever trying to jump, that changed very quickly with my first very feeble attempts.now I am totally hooked.

one strange fact from my foil jumping experience is,
why is my bad weak side the complete opposite side to when I used to boost big on my Ttip, my foiling weak side is the side I could kite loop on landing full chat, even double loop if you count the little landing loop,
my old good side is now flipping useless at boosting the foil, but I am working on it, so it will get better, I hope.
that is interesting for sure, kind of like my golf shooting one way and a hockey shot the other way.

blu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Great Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Cayo Coco
Gear: Flysurfer Lift Sabfoil Gong

Postby blu » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:47 pm

TomW wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:43 pm
I am looking to downsize from the 1200cm Moses 633. The Gong M Pro is slightly smaller and higher aspect. It's a nice change.
I find my Lift 150 which is similar in size (967 cm2) to Gong M Pro more fun than 633 in general.

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:56 pm

I have 2 wings, an 800 cm2 and a 1200 cm2. I rarely use the 800. With the large wing I can use a smaller and therefore faster kite which I like a lot much more.
Playing on small waves with a large wing is also much more fun.
By going less fast, falling is also less painful.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:02 pm

I sometimes debate whether 545 wing I got years back as a replacement for my 2013 Lift (~830 sq.cm) would be nice to ride again. The first impression was “it flies so fast and smooth”, like getting a skateboard off beaten black top to polished indoors concrete. Second impression was “I’m sure I can ride, why am is failing transitions and suck at my weak side”.
Then came 548, 590, 633, another 633, and finally 683s which I alternate with 590 - anytime I get to huge body of water like La Ventana or Lake Michigan I find my 683s somewhat slow to cover distances. I could push 25-25 MPH from both 633 and 683s but it’s having to “push it” made it less fun. The 590 goes fast naturally but than when I try to push 590 I lose stability and think of race wings which would stall at low speeds.

Hopefully one day I’ll find “big dude race wings” - with more wing area to carry my 200 lbs, but thin and stable and I’d love to play with those. 720 is not - it’s too thick

The “need for speed” feeling is so tempting
Last edited by grigorib on Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oregonkiter
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff

Postby oregonkiter » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:10 pm

I have come to hate high speed crashes on foil. I think I have a glass jaw...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:39 pm

Huib wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:56 pm
I have 2 wings, an 800 cm2 and a 1200 cm2. I rarely use the 800. With the large wing I can use a smaller and therefore faster kite which I like a lot much more.
Playing on small waves with a large wing is also much more fun.
By going less fast, falling is also less painful.

Average weight?

I had it like that for a period when I got a 1200 wing, loved it and used it the most.

But over longer time I now prefer my 800 the most when windy no doubt at all.

Perfect to have both :thumb:

I am 77 kg.

8) Peter

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:42 pm

I like going fast, but where I live is very sharky, and when I used to ride a faster foil (Lift 110), I was hitting sharks about every other session (4-5 foot bull sharks mostly) and I would go flying off the foil. Since switching to a slower foil (Lift 150), I haven't hit a shark once, at least that I know of. I'm aware I wasn't breaking any speed records with the Lift 110, but the speed was enough that, for whatever reason, the sharks couldn't sense it in time. On many occasions, I would look down just in time to see a shark's body curled to dart away, but I hit it before it could snap.

Since sustaining a neck injury, going flying off the foil at speed is no longer a viable option. Thus, it is slow foils for me from this point forward.

Texaskiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Texas City
Galveston
Favorite Beaches: North Shore, Oahu, Hawaii
Playa del Carmen
Style: Freeride, surf, hydrofoil, airstyle
Gear: Core, Ozone, Moses,

Postby Texaskiter » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:57 pm

I have standardized on Moses due to the interoperability. I own the following wings: 548, 558, 637, 645, and 683. Stabes- 325, 330, 420, 421, 483. Masts- 101 and 91cm. And I have ridden my friend’s 633. My point here is I know the Moses line up pretty well. My strapless surf set up is a KS 37 inch pocket board and a 683 on my 91in mast. Perfect for the typical sandbar slop we get in Galveston.

On flat water I go with strapped Sync from Temavento and now my 645/421 on a 101. It’s fast, stable, but still fun to carve and ride freestyle. I found that the 645 is a bit more stable than the 637 giving me more confidence on high speed jibes. On flat water I like big air and big rotations and going fast. So to answer your topic question- I am!!!

Return to “Hydrofoil”