Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Who's (still) riding fast foils?

Postby TomW » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:19 am

grigorib wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:02 pm
I sometimes debate whether 545 wing I got years back as a replacement for my 2013 Lift (~830 sq.cm) would be nice to ride again. The first impression was “it flies so fast and smooth”, like getting a skateboard off beaten black top to polished indoors concrete. Second impression was “I’m sure I can ride, why am is failing transitions and suck at my weak side”.
Then came 548, 590, 633, another 633, and finally 683s which I alternate with 590 - anytime I get to huge body of water like La Ventana or Lake Michigan I find my 683s somewhat slow to cover distances. I could push 25-25 MPH from both 633 and 683s but it’s having to “push it” made it less fun. The 590 goes fast naturally but than when I try to push 590 I lose stability and think of race wings which would stall at low speeds.

Hopefully one day I’ll find “big dude race wings” - with more wing area to carry my 200 lbs, but thin and stable and I’d love to play with those. 720 is not - it’s too thick

The “need for speed” feeling is so tempting
I found 590 to be ok foil, but it's not good for anything. If I push it it is difficult, and not good at low speed. I learned on 550.

633 is my favorite. The Gong Mpro can be pushed better than 633, and is faster in carves, but top speed is only marginally higher.

But wonder how those bigger Moses wings, the 695 and 715 with 550 dna work. They might be better compromise.
Would appreciate any reviews.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:47 am

Sorry, we are walking away from the topic now...

I ride faster foils more often now than when the big +1000 cm2 wings came.
As said only medium ones though.

And a few times one of my fast sub 600 cm2 wings at speed.

8) Peter

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:45 pm

My own experience is going from the original Rocket Foil to the Impulse Foil. For my level the large floaty Impulse foil is vastly easier to gybe, go down wind, ride waves. Initially I thought a larger foil would be safer but I am not entirely sure this is the case since it is more likely to explode out the water on you due and hitting you due to the extra lift. I never had the board jumping out of the water with the original rocket foil. Ultimately I think there are alot of trade offs in hydrofoil design. I can imagine more skilled riders might want a faster foil since it gives you the ability to explore, but for me being able to cruise downwind on a wave at low speeds and gybe at a snails pace has been a massive step up in my foiling enjoyment/ability. I would probably cover more distance on a Large Surf foil since I it is easier to ride upwind/downwind/turn.

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Postby aleks » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:31 pm

I learned on and use smaller wings most of the time. I find the tendency of shifting to bigger wings a bit strange. Yes, they are easier to ride, and a lot of people learn on them now. However, once people are used to the big wings, they rarely want to switch to the smaller ones. When they try small wings after big ones, people feel unstable and can't do the same things that they already learned on the big wing. Which is a pity - fast wing are a lot of fun to ride.

I think that using faster wings makes you a better rider. When you dial in a trick on a fast wing, doing it on a big wing is a piece of cake (except maybe for jumping :) ). You can learn something on a big wing, then progress to small, and when you go back and try that thing on the big wing, it will feel so easy, almost like cheating!

If you ride waves, bigger wings are awesome. However in our parts, 90% of the time there are no waves, yet people still go on their big wings. I feel like they deny themselves a big part of foiling experience :(

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:37 pm

aleks wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:31 pm
I learned on and use smaller wings most of the time. I find the tendency of shifting to bigger wings a bit strange. Yes, they are easier to ride, and a lot of people learn on them now. However, once people are used to the big wings, they rarely want to switch to the smaller ones. When they try small wings after big ones, people feel unstable and can't do the same things that they already learned on the big wing. Which is a pity - fast wing are a lot of fun to ride.

I think that using faster wings makes you a better rider. When you dial in a trick on a fast wing, doing it on a big wing is a piece of cake (except maybe for jumping :) ). You can learn something on a big wing, then progress to small, and when you go back and try that thing on the big wing, it will feel so easy, almost like cheating!

If you ride waves, bigger wings are awesome. However in our parts, 90% of the time there are no waves, yet people still go on their big wings. I feel like they deny themselves a big part of foiling experience :(
You know I agree with you for the most part, even playing in the waves with the fast wings is fun. I am using the big wings to slow stuff down a bit to learn, then take it back to the fast ones :-)

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Postby aleks » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:41 pm

cwood wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:37 pm
You know I agree with you for the most part, even playing in the waves with the fast wings is fun. I am using the big wings to slow stuff down a bit to learn, then take it back to the fast ones :-)
I know Chuck, I do the same. That is exactly the point - learn a trick on big wings, but then do it on fast wings. Not only it will feel smoother and nicer on small wings, but you'll be amazed how easy the trick will feel when you switch back to a big wing.

And yes, carving waves on a fast wing can be a lot of fun when you get used to it. I'm always torn on which wing to use on big days :D

Return to “Hydrofoil”