cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Re: Moses 633 questions

Postby cwood » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:20 pm

In general, given similar construction methods and dimensions (thickness of foil etc) the shorter will be stiffer...and there are limitations on construction methods beyond 100 cm and maintaining foil thinness and being stiff and strong enough.

I just went and torqued on my girlfriends 91 moses (2018) and twisting topped out at about an inch of deflection at the tail of the fuse. My 101 is in my vehicle so will have to compare at some point when its out but I expect it to be about the same.....

Sounds like you have a noodle of a mast and I would question it being normal!!

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:39 pm

I did the same for Fluente 91?cm mast and same as cwood, an inch movement when really pushing it.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tegirinenashi » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:58 pm

Comparing stiffness "by hand" is only useful when you do it yourself. Because the other person's idea of how much torsion to apply might be different.

The standard is 5kg flex&torsion test. I wonder why manufacturers don't bother to publish any numbers. Well, those figures might differ from sample to sample -- they most likely to reply. OK, but then, if you call yourself a premium manufacturer, then aren't you suppose to subject your product to quality control, and reject those samples that deviate from the specs?

Bidello
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bidello » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:41 pm

cwood wrote: In general, given similar construction methods and dimensions (thickness of foil etc) the shorter will be stiffer...and there are limitations on construction methods beyond 100 cm and maintaining foil thinness and being stiff and strong enough.

I just went and torqued on my girlfriends 91 moses (2018) and twisting topped out at about an inch of deflection at the tail of the fuse. My 101 is in my vehicle so will have to compare at some point when its out but I expect it to be about the same.....

Sounds like you have a noodle of a mast and I would question it being normal!!
Right, so taking into account that on a 710 fuselage the distance between the centre of the mast slot and the stab is about 43 cm, one inch of movement equals to slightly above 3 degree torsion.

Certainly not 45 degrees! 😱

Return to “Hydrofoil”