Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite Hydro-Foiling Tutorial (bodydrag, taxi, microflights, long flights, gear, conditions, mistakes)

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Kite Hydro-Foiling Tutorial (bodydrag, taxi, microflights, long flights, gear, conditions, mistakes)

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:08 pm

This detailed tutorial guides you to your first flights on a hydrofoil. It provides step by step drills to help you to learn with less chance of injury:
00:11 carrying, handling and bodydragging etc
01:13 balance, weight distribution, depowering the hydrofoil & surface riding (taxiing), and hand transitions.
06:23 short safe practice flights, ascending and descending the hydrofoil
07:55 longer hydrofoil flights and speed control
09:14 How to crash and how NOT to crash
10:07 Basic tips for the safest equipment and conditions

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Kite Hydro-Foiling Tutorial (bodydrag, taxi, microflights, long flights, gear, conditions, mistakes)

Postby tomtom » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:56 pm

I often disagree with instruction movies - but kudos for this. Very well done!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite Hydro-Foiling Tutorial (bodydrag, taxi, microflights, long flights, gear, conditions, mistakes)

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:57 pm

Agree, a really good tutorial :thumb:

Eventhough one detail, the start shown having the front hand on the board, does work when using straps - but IMO using the backhand is way better, as this is how you are gonna do it anyways, when you move on to strapless, like more than one third of all kitefoilers do eventually :D

8) Peter

Cefirmeza
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Ceará - Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ceará, Brazil
Style: Kitefoil Wingfoil
Gear: Slingshot sst 4m, Airush Ultra 5m, brm cloud 5.5m, Peak4 4m/6m, Duotone Slick 3.5/4.5m
Sabfoil W1000,W800, Lift classic 150
Armstrong SKT3’11 25L

Postby Cefirmeza » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:42 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:57 pm
Agree, a really good tutorial :thumb:

Eventhough one detail, the start shown having the front hand on the board, does work when using straps - but IMO using the backhand is way better, as this is how you are gonna do it anyways, when you move on to strapless, like more than one third of all kitefoilers do eventually :D

8) Peter
In my case I haven´t ditched the straps yet because my heavy foil makes it hard to edge the board (big dwarfcraft).
The only time I tried I had to hold the edge with the back hand until the kite had power enough to get going. If I let go before the board drops flat and I have to start over. I struggled even more on lighter winds.
Is there a better technique to start strapless with heavy foils? Maybe hold with front hand and downloop the kite

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:12 pm

Hmmm, not sure I understand you?

The idea is, that you hold the board edged with your rear hand on the tail of the board, front hand on the bar controlling the kite steering it a little back of course.

Now with your front hand you can dive the kite down aggressively, still holding the board edged (important if having a heavier foil), and when kite powers up you can pull yourself up on the board.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Cefirmeza (Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:39 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”