Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Moses 790 front wing - what's the verdict now?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
omg
Very Frequent Poster

Moses 790 front wing - what's the verdict now?

Postby omg » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:05 pm

I have the 633, but would like to have more lift to ride the swell with Peak4s (4 & 5).

Are there any people riding the 790 and what’s the verdict, please? Is it still agile or more like on rails? And does it tolerate even less speed before stalling compared to 633? And do you truly notice the better lift of 790 vrs. 633?

Thanks!

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NewBrighton beach-Derby pool end,Wallasey, near Liverpool for 6 months in summer
Flag beach on fuerteventura for 6 months in winter.
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach fuerteventura, off season/6months
Home - NewBrighton,Rhosneigr, Ainsdale, Fleetwood, Newbrough
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Groove Skate 120,carbon 2020 edition
101cm + 82cm Moses Carbon masts
Moses- 633/483 on a 701 fuse
Moses- 720 balz pro/425 on longer 739 fuse
Ozone Hyperlink V1 ultra light 5mtr
Ozone V2 Hyperlink 7mtr + 9mtr
Ozone Chrono V3 UL foil kite 11mtr
Ozone compact V4 bars,click in,23 mtr lines
duotone click bar 2020
massive grin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Moses 790 front wing - what's the verdict now?

Postby Foil » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:31 pm

Not as agile as the 633, but still good, much lower stall speed and much more lift than the 633, both qualities need to be experienced to be believed.and it pumps along just great.
Many will love it.
I sold mine as the fun wore off and I ended up not enjoying the way the massive lift just basicly
Scared me when I overpowered the wing with a big kite, flipping scary.
So gave in on trying to use it for super light wind sessions, as my 633 and 13mtr foil kite was much more fun, and never scary, the 790 Jumps great in next to no wind though.
Tried it with a small kite but it did not suit me, however others will love it for their style of riding
These users thanked the author Foil for the post (total 2):
omg (Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:18 am) • a99 (Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:55 pm)
Rating: 16.67%

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman
Style: surf, foil, wake, plywood
Gear: wainman, slingshot, homegrown

Postby joekitetime » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:40 pm

I have the 790 (and 633 / 683 / and 873).

For me, for sure the 633 is the most "fun" - when I'm feeling super aggressive and want to ride like a kid at a skatepark, I ride my 633. The 683 for me is nearly identical, except it seems to cavitate more often.

The 873 is awesome for "longboard" style for me - just cruising, waiving at people, pumping in the swell, relaxing, staying dry. I really like it.

The 790 to me is nearly exactly the same as the 873, just a tad more tame. I honestly don't know if I can stall the 873. But if I really try I can stall the 790, barely.

The 790 is a big wing. It is slow. It is like long boarding for me. I do enjoy that when I'm in the mood.

Not sure if that helps, but I hope so!
These users thanked the author joekitetime for the post:
omg (Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:18 am)
Rating: 8.33%

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:24 am

thanks guys. I think I need to try one :) If any of you would like to sell me one, I am very interested in.

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:54 am

I think 633/790/1100 with one fuselage and 450 stab + 82C mast and you are set for kite and wing foiling
it will be my set up.
still need to learn wingfoiling :-)

joekitetime
Frequent Poster

Postby joekitetime » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:01 pm

omg wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:24 am
thanks guys. I think I need to try one :) If any of you would like to sell me one, I am very interested in.
I'd be up for selling one being that I have lots of duplicates.

You can PM me.

My 790 is literally new, maybe 5 rides on it.

Or email me directly (probably best) at mellowjellojoe@gmail.com

Bidello
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bidello » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:47 pm

joekitetime wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:40 pm

For me, for sure the 633 is the most "fun" - when I'm feeling super aggressive and want to ride like a kid at a skatepark, I ride my 633. The 683 for me is nearly identical, except it seems to cavitate more often.

The 873 is awesome for "longboard" style for me - just cruising, waiving at people, pumping in the swell, relaxing, staying dry. I really like it.

The 790 to me is nearly exactly the same as the 873, just a tad more tame. I honestly don't know if I can stall the 873. But if I really try I can stall the 790, barely.

The 790 is a big wing. It is slow. It is like long boarding for me. I do enjoy that when I'm in the mood.

@jokekitetime interesting views.

I ride a 633/483 setup and I've been looking at the 790 too for those chill sessions...

However I also looked at the 873 as I'd like to pick up wing foiling, and have already a short mast :D

Whilst I know I can use the 790 for kiting (maybe wing foiling too) I'm not sure I can actually use the 873 on a kite (but it'd be nice with a wing and the right board I guess).

Also, as per Frankieboy's comment above, I've seen some people suggesting the 633/790/1100 wings with one fuselage and the 450 stab (which seems to be the norm with the 790, but makes the 633 slower and more stable, good or bad thing just don't know).

So no more 873 and 1100 to cover wingfoiling?

As many, I'd love to have the time to go near some test centre and try them all - just not going to happen, and as usual for most of us, it's gotta be buy at your own risk :-?

BTW interested is some of your gear if you're selling :D :thumb:

joekitetime
Frequent Poster

Postby joekitetime » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:06 pm

Bidello wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:47 pm
joekitetime wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:40 pm

@jokekitetime interesting views.

I ride a 633/483 setup and I've been looking at the 790 too for those chill sessions...

However I also looked at the 873 as I'd like to pick up wing foiling, and have already a short mast :D

Whilst I know I can use the 790 for kiting (maybe wing foiling too) I'm not sure I can actually use the 873 on a kite (but it'd be nice with a wing and the right board I guess).

Also, as per Frankieboy's comment above, I've seen some people suggesting the 633/790/1100 wings with one fuselage and the 450 stab (which seems to be the norm with the 790, but makes the 633 slower and more stable, good or bad thing just don't know).

So no more 873 and 1100 to cover wingfoiling?

As many, I'd love to have the time to go near some test centre and try them all - just not going to happen, and as usual for most of us, it's gotta be buy at your own risk :-?

BTW interested is some of your gear if you're selling :D :thumb:
I quit using the 483 stabilizer awhile ago at the suggestion from another, went to the 450, and found it easier and more fun to ride. Slightly less front foot pressure and easier to carve. I would suggest that. As far as the 873 and 790 go, honestly neither give me a better low end. If I can keep the kite in the sky I can fly the 633. So, going to a bigger wing doesn't give me more low end for all intents and purposes. What it does is change the ride characteristics. Riding the 873 feels like standing atop a picnic table. Could be viewed as very boring, and it is. On super mellow days with a little swell I like to fly as small of a kite as I can and just ride endless swell. It is also the way I learn to pump. It is easier to keep the kite in the sky because it seems to be impossible to outrun it so one can ignore the kite and keep it high and it will just sorta fly on its own. While it is doing that I can concentrate on swell riding and pumping. Water starting is harder on the 873 than the 633, because it is so eager to get up on foil that I have to crouch down really low and start off with massive weight on that front foot or it will buck me right off.

But, if I had to do it all over again, I would only have one board, one wing, and one stab (and it would be the dwarf craft micro, 633 and 450).

It is hard to learn the trick of being happy with what you have, and it you can afford more toys, so be it, it isn't a big deal. But I can tell you that if I'm amped up and want to go show off and shred and have an epic session, I go for the above 633/450. If I'm bored or tired or the wind isn't great, and I want to goof off or not put in the effort, I grab the 790 or 873. And if I want to force myself to improve and be challenged I grab the 550 or 590, or if I get enough courage soon the 637 or incoming 695 to try. Kinda silly really to have all that when I coulda stuck w/just one!
These users thanked the author joekitetime for the post:
Bidello (Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:10 am)
Rating: 8.33%

Bidello
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bidello » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:22 am

joekitetime wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:06 pm

I quit using the 483 stabilizer awhile ago at the suggestion from another, went to the 450, and found it easier and more fun to ride. Slightly less front foot pressure and easier to carve. I would suggest that. As far as the 873 and 790 go, honestly neither give me a better low end. If I can keep the kite in the sky I can fly the 633. So, going to a bigger wing doesn't give me more low end for all intents and purposes. What it does is change the ride characteristics. Riding the 873 feels like standing atop a picnic table. Could be viewed as very boring, and it is. On super mellow days with a little swell I like to fly as small of a kite as I can and just ride endless swell. It is also the way I learn to pump. It is easier to keep the kite in the sky because it seems to be impossible to outrun it so one can ignore the kite and keep it high and it will just sorta fly on its own. While it is doing that I can concentrate on swell riding and pumping. Water starting is harder on the 873 than the 633, because it is so eager to get up on foil that I have to crouch down really low and start off with massive weight on that front foot or it will buck me right off.

But, if I had to do it all over again, I would only have one board, one wing, and one stab (and it would be the dwarf craft micro, 633 and 450).

It is hard to learn the trick of being happy with what you have, and it you can afford more toys, so be it, it isn't a big deal. But I can tell you that if I'm amped up and want to go show off and shred and have an epic session, I go for the above 633/450. If I'm bored or tired or the wind isn't great, and I want to goof off or not put in the effort, I grab the 790 or 873. And if I want to force myself to improve and be challenged I grab the 550 or 590, or if I get enough courage soon the 637 or incoming 695 to try. Kinda silly really to have all that when I coulda stuck w/just one!
Thanks for that.

I'm somewhat leaning towards the w1100 as opposed to the 873. They both have the same surface area (2100 cm2) but the 873 is obviously lower aspect that the 1100 (304mm chord and 246mm, respectively). The most noticeable difference however is in the volume + 4.19 L for the 873 and 3.0 L for the 1100.
First impressions on this wing seem to confirm it has much more glide and less drag, which should make for an interesting ride.

Only way to tell is just try them out back to back. Will make a decision and pick one, think I'll be fine :wink:

Re the 790, I'd be nice to have a bigger wing for kite foiling, or a smaller wing for wingfoiling. Probably it's the kind of wing that sits well in anybody's quiver.

So plan is to get a big a$$ front wing to learn wingfoiling, then possibly add a 790.

Cheers

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:36 pm

Curious as what you use the 2100 cm2 to for kitefoiling - waves?

Average weight, or?

It sounds huge...

Even for wingfoiling it is big it seems, but good for learning of if heavier, and light wind.

The 1100 will have a lot less drag and much better glide, no comparison.
And also require less pull on your arms for wingfoiling.

But turn slower of course...

The "thicker" wings will be easier to ride, but somewhat slower.
Personally I dont like this style, but individual.

8) Peter

Return to “Hydrofoil”